Want new smartphone: android or windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI if you do end up going with Android, Motorola will be selling Moto X phones on Cyber Monday for $350 for 16gb without a contract. This is a great phone with a host of features not available on any other phone, like touch less control, active notifications, motion sensors etc. Plus you can customize the phone.

I'm going to pick up the 32gb Developers Edition for $399. That is darn cheap for a phone that was arguably more technology than any other phone out there.

Windows phones are good, really getting there but for me I can't use one as my daily smartphone. App support isn't that great, no unified notification system makes things clumsy (android is still the best with this), multiple email accounts have to be each as a separate live tile, and if you use google services support just isn't there...

Core functionality is very good with WP but i don't think I can recommend one over stock android at this point. I'd go with the moto x or nexus 5. The moto x is the best android device I've used hands down, and it's going to $349 unlocked on motorolas site on cyber Monday.

Pick your poison.

Originally Posted By: jigen
Windows phones are good, really getting there but for me I can't use one as my daily smartphone. App support isn't that great, no unified notification system makes things clumsy (android is still the best with this), multiple email accounts have to be each as a separate live tile, and if you use google services support just isn't there...

Well, here' the thing--App support is only an issue if you can't get apps that you use. In reality, many users never use all of the apps that are out there. Having been on Android for about 3 years now, I know that at first I was searching and downloading lots of stuff I thought was cool. When I switched phones, I carried over about 5 of those apps...

So, this is only an issue if it affect you. Given the OP's usage pattern description, lack of app support doesn't seem like it's going to be an issue. As far as support for Google services, I'll say that I find the g-mail interface much better than Android, and that's the main Google service I use on my phone.

Point being, "better or worse" just depends on your situation. I won't use a WP as my main phone until FoxFi is available on it, but for me that's the only missing app. If Windows isn't missing specific apps that one uses, it's a great option. For folks who aren't into figuring out how their phone works, it seems to be, by far, the most intuitive of the bunch. For many, that counts for a lot.

I agree about the email. Windows Phone has been my favorite to use, I prefer it to iOS and Android.

Web browsing on Android has never been the best experience but for me, Kit Kat has been good so far. Not as smooth as safari or IE but close (finally).

There is a lot of opinion hysteresis (inertia of sorts) when it comes to gadgets. You have to keep a few things in mind going forward. Examples:

I ruled out iPhone, because Apple's proprietary mangled version of B-Tooth. Torque was not ported to iPhone because of that then. Not sure about the current state.
I ruled out the W8 because Square was not ported to it then. Still isn't.

So, it was Android for me. At the moment HTC One has the best audio/voice quality and combined with your T-M (known for better audio quality along with AT&T) is an option to consider. Price/Performance champion is prolly Nexus.

Added: there is this not yet widely know AIO Wireless from AT&T for those with unlocked out-of-contract GSM phones

That being said, I personally would opt for Nokia's superior build and audio quality and this current intuitive iteration of Windows. Those Nokias are amazing phones.

The latest iteration of Apple's iOS is troublesome at best. Cumbersome and flakey. We have all of the phones and OSes mentioned here in my family. I wish I could use wife's Nokia.

Added: there is this not widely known yet AIO Wireless from AT&T for those with unlocked out-of-contract GSM phones

Last edited:
Does it run full Windows 8.1 or Windows RT? RT is a "shell" of 8.1 and looks to be abolished soon.

Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions. I think i'm going to with the Nokia with the windows 8. It just feels like a much more solid phone than my wifes lg, when in my hand and I really appreciate something with solid build quality. I don't think it will take me long to get the used to it, I watched microsofts videos on it and tryed out the demo/how to program on there and its really not as scary as I thought it would be. We'll see if I get one for Christmas, if not, it may have to wait a little while

Originally Posted By: Y_K
The latest iteration of Apple's iOS is troublesome at best. Cumbersome and flakey.

I agree, when installed on an older phone. I think Apple's biggest mistake was allowing 4 and 4S users to download the update. My old 4S was very buggy with iOS 7. I took my wife's old 4S, and it, interestingly, runs iOS 7 pretty well. I don't know why the difference.

iOS 7, however, appears to have been designed with the iPhone 5S in mind. My wife recently upgraded to a 5S from a 4S, and her new phone really impresses me with how it runs. iOS 7 is a completely different animal on that 64-bit A7 processor. That phone really hums along.

My brother has been running iOS7 on his 4S for a while, no complaints. Dont know what the differences are, but I wouldnt broad brush it too much. Colors and icons aside, iOS 7 has been awesome, and I couldnt be happier with my iphone 5s. Very stable and a ton of great features that Ive wanted for a while.

Wanted a moto droid x but the coatings are not oleophilic, so the thing was greasy as could be in the stores I looked at it in.

I'm taking a shot and reducing my monthly cell phone bill, so I bought one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-521-T-...;keywords=lumia

Apples to apples I save $50 a month on T-Mobile if I bring my own phones (two lines). Hopefully the coverage will be good enough.

I'd love an iPhone, but I can't get over how expensive they are. I'd rather use a flip-phone for free and buy an iPad to use over wifi. At least with the cheap Windows phone I have access to basic stuff like eMail, Pandora, and navigation.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
I'm taking a shot and reducing my monthly cell phone bill, so I bought one of these....

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-521-T-...;keywords=lumia

Apples to apples I save $50 a month on T-Mobile if I bring my own phones (two lines). Hopefully the coverage will be good enough.

I'd love an iPhone, but I can't get over how expensive they are. I'd rather use a flip-phone for free and buy an iPad to use over wifi. At least with the cheap Windows phone I have access to basic stuff like eMail, Pandora, and navigation.

That's actually the WP I'm using now. I'm really impressed. While I don't use it a ton as it's a second phone, I'm getting 3 days out of the battery, mostly on standby. It's like an old flip phone in that regard! My wife liked it so much I bought her the 928, which I found new on Ebay for $200.00. For regular purchased phones though, this is the best deal out there IMO. The screen resolution is a bit better on the 928 and it feels a bit more solidly constructed, but the $79.00 that phone is hart to beat.

Just picked up an iPhone 4S on Sprint. Using Ting's service though. Hard to be uber-cheap cell service.

On a fresh install, iOS 7 is quite nice.

I was looking for a cheap $
It's my first smartphone so I don't have Android or IOS experience to compare. But the Lumia line of Windows phones are a worthwhile consideration, but don't pay more than $100.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
Thank you guys for all your help and suggestions. I think i'm going to with the Nokia with the windows 8.

Here's a comparison of the Lumia 520 vs 620. I like the screen and look of the 620 but the battery is better on 520. The weak battery is a knock against the 620.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tCRVP73M5k

The 620 is slightly smaller, but it's perfect to text one-handed. This is very useful, but would be more difficult (I think) on a larger phone. You'll have to try at the store, but I think you'd be happy with either model (or the updated versions 521 etc).

I'm going to go with the 925. I considered the 520, like the price on it, but having kids, I want something with a good camera to take pictures of them and I need something with a flash. The 520's lack of a flash was a deal breaker for me. Other than that, I think the 520 would have worked perfectly for me

There is no real reason to get windows phone 8. Microsoft has done a terrible job supporting the platform, there is no real app ecosystem for it either.

Honestly go for a new android smartphone. Nexus 5, or the HTC One is still a great option

Originally Posted By: Nick R
There is no real reason to get windows phone 8. Microsoft has done a terrible job supporting the platform, there is no real app ecosystem for it either.

Honestly go for a new android smartphone. Nexus 5, or the HTC One is still a great option

Having actually used an HTC One (it's my primary phone) and WP8, all I can say is that I disagree with you. And I've actually used the product...

I'm not sure what "support" I need? The OS, works, and it's been less buggy than Android OS. I don't need constant updates when the OS actually works. I think MS has done really well with it.

You're right, the APP ecosystem is limited. That's why the HTC One is still my main phone--because of one specific app. If there are specific apps you need and they aren't available, then it's best to look elsewhere; but there ARE advantages to WP8: the battery life is better, the user interface is more user-friendly (subjective to a degree, but the live tiles do offer tangible benefits), it integrates better with G-mail (again subjective, but most users feel similarly), and maps works off of wifi or cell range.

Lots of people who've never actually used the platform have a negative opinion of it, but most folks who've actually used it really like it. I know 5 people who've switched over, 3 from Android and 2 from Iphones, and they're all really happy with the switch. I'm not saying it's for you, or for everyone, but for some folks I think it's the best option out there.

Lots of Droid hate.. I have had had 2 in a row now and have never had any problems. Most apps are free, there are tons available if I actually cared (I don't really) and there is lots of variety in the hardware with expandable memory, and all kinds of configuration options.

My opinion is what's not to like? I am currently on a Samsung S4 and it works wonderfully well.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

I think it comes down to what you use your phone for. Since I purchased a cheap tablet I realized that I only do a very narrow set of activities on my phone... phone calls, Pandora, email, navigation, and RSS.

You can get a dirt cheap, name brand Windows phone that does all of these things as well as anything else.

That and I have been extremely underwhelmed with my Android experience over the last two years. My Nexus has easily been the worst phone I have ever used, so I'm not jumping up and down to pay $350 when the $80 option will work just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back