New LG Fridge Dented

Bought a new over the stove microwave that was dented in the back. When the installers noticed it they immediately went back to the small appliance store to get an undamaged unit. The dent was big enough that I thought it may have affected the installation but they didn't mention that point. No talk about discount either just put a new one in. I think the installers are subcontractors for the store. I'm glad they handled it the way they did. Made things simple.

I'd not go for the few hundred offered. Replacement appliance without dings or scratches is what I'd be seeking. And a waiver of the delivery charge for the hassle.

I would worry more about the rough handling that created the dent.

Caused by a low bid company that wins the third party logistics contract. Company pays workers a crap wage, has a large turnover and can't keep anyone experienced that can drive a clamp truck without causing waaaay more in damage vs if they just paid good employees a good hourly wage.

Aren't those LG refrigerators notorious for early compressor failure from their "linear inverter" technology?
We have one that is 3 years old...not by choice but because it was in the house we just bought last fall. Works OK now but it has that age old problem of over chilling/freezing goods along the very back of the shelves. So much for their "linear technology ".
When it goes, which I'm figuring is in the near future, a Whirlpool, Maytag or Kitchen Aid will take its place.

if the door is dented maybe they exchange it with another same units door, removing the refrigerator doors is simple to do if the place you bought from has another of the same unit without having to haul the complete unit back out of the house, i had recently just gotten a new MAYTAG refrig during this COVID mess and had to wait months on pins and needles hoping my old unit would hang in there until i finally got it, i wouldnt like to see a dent in my new refrig everytime i opened her up psychologically it would effect me, see if they can make a swap for the dented door with an unmarred one or give the place a ****ty review online.

It wouldn't bother me, but it would the wife. It would be another unit in my house.

It wouldn't bother me, but it would the wife. It would be another unit in my house.
everytime the OP has to pull the handle to get a beer he will see the big dent in his $1700 frig, the $300 deduction isnt near enough to counter balance the damage IMO if they took the $700 off and maybe try a suction cup dent puller could fix the issue

Wonder if a paintless dent repair guy could handle a refrigerator?
they sell those miniature auto dent pullers at Harbor freight but i'd want more of a damage deduction from the seller, if you payed for delivery and install no matter what the frig should be in perfect condition when at its final resting place

I had a similar situation when I moved into my house - refrigerator came with a baseball-sized dent on the right side. Delivery guys offered a discount, I don't remember what, but if the dent was on the left side, it would be facing a wall and I could live with it. Since it was on the right side, about 2" above the countertop, it would always be visible so back it went.

Like people have already said, if you (or I) wanted scratch/dent, we'd have gone shopping for that.

Man I would have a hard time paying $1700 for a Lucky Goldstar. I worked with them in the late 80's on a tech transfer and mos chip manufacture when I was at Bell Labs. Two armed guards at the front door of the factory with automatic weapons.
And they failed miserably on the tech and supply capability. Big mistake.
What ever happened to Coldspot or Hotpoint :) We have an old Whirpool gold its a pretty bad unit, but still running.

I protested "rough handling" of our fridge recently resulting in 20% off from AJ Madison. It is worth noting that AJ Madison uses a separate delivery company(s) and any "home" damage is processed through them.

There are scratch and dent appliance stores. I'm anal about my home and can't stand clutter or something dented like that.
I don't screw up stuff I own.

There are stores that sell scratch and dent appliances. Plug in the model number for what yours goes for new and see what one goes for damaged.

Example of a GE fridge: https://www.americanfreight.com/br/pdp/ge-21-cu-ft-stainless-steel-bottom-freezer/356606
Yea-it funny how much OCD transfer to "other issues" on here......

Caused by a low bid company that wins the third party logistics contract. Company pays workers a crap wage, has a large turnover and can't keep anyone experienced that can drive a clamp truck without causing waaaay more in damage vs if they just paid good employees a good hourly wage.
Lowes uses XPO Logistics for their deliveries. Wonder how that affects their contract when they damage the appliance they're delivering.

Thanks for all of the replies. Like I replied earlier, the dent doesn’t bother me much and the visible scratches aren’t bad either. I also wasn‘t kidding about putting a magnet or something over the dent, like people sometimes do with minor bumper blemishes and such. Besides, with two small kids the fridge will be full of their stuff soon enough anyway!

So far no call from anyone. Maybe they meant 24 business hour days, meaning Monday some time.

I’ve also thought on this and your comments and I’ve settled on $400 off or a new fridge. I’ll still start my negotiation at half, but will accept $400. $400 is a good chunk of change and the dent is small enough not to bother me. It bothered my wife more, but she agreed that $400 is worth the cost of the damage to her, too.

Regarding a fix, I’m not sure it’s possible. The metal is pretty hard and the dent is small and deep.

Shipping was free.

Luckily, my wife found the door kit inside the fridge, so I should be able to easily switch sides. As you can see in the pics, it’s definitely not opening in the ideal direction. I’ll fix it as soon as I get a SAT answer from the vendor (ie, $400 or more off)

Finally, I let my wife plug it in a couple of hrs ago. No unusual noises noted. I would have preferred to have it standing upright for 24 hrs prior to energizing, but she just got home with a load of groceries that she had scheduled for a 1300 pickup. All well.

RE: reliability: This fridge had excellent reviews on various sites and was the top-rated fridge on Consumer Reports, including for expected reliability. I care about that and its ability to cool, with a lower weighted concern for energy efficiency.

I believe buying any appliance these days is a crap shoot, so some sporadic horror stories regarding LG compressors doesn’t bother me.

Back