In the Market for an Affordable Bottom Freezer Refrigerator

The wife is cooking a lot, and the 16.5-cu. ft. top freezer refrigerator in our apartment is just not cutting it. So, we're looking for a 2nd fridge to go in the garage.

I've decided I want the kind with the fridge section on top, because that's where we're going, 90% of the time we walk over there. And, being 6'2" with knees that don't like to bend, I'm tired of kneeling down to look for stuff in the fridge. Just makes more sense to me, to have the section I need to access most often, at eye-level.

We're looking to buy new, as there aren't many options for getting one 2nd hand around here; I looked around a bit, and most of what people are selling is pretty rough, or needs work, or, not the configuration I'm looking for. Not to mention, having to go and get it. Kinda hate asking friends to help with stuff like that. And delivery is free from Lowe's or BestBuy.

Looking at these 2:

Hisense 17.1 cu. ft. for $799:

or

Amana 18.7 cu. ft. for $989

Leaning towards the Amana, as it's at least built in the USA, and my family had one of the Amana Radarange microwaves back in the early 80s that was very reliable. Also, it's a little bigger, has gallon milk jug-sized shelves on the doors (I drink a lot of milk), and has a swing door-style freezer instead of the pull-out drawer-style of the Hisense.

The Hisense has a "2-year limited warranty", while the Amana has a "1-year parts & labor warranty".

Thoughts?

Feedback on reliability of these brands?

Anyone else bought something like this recently?

Bought this whirlpool at lowes about 3 years ago it was on sale for $899 and then I got lucky they knocked another 20% off because it got scratched on the side in the delivery truck. No problem with it so far. Having the fridge on top is great not having to bend down, never going back to top freezer again. I dont know about the ones you're looking at but i've always stuck with brands like maytag, whirlpool, ge, fridgidair for appliances even though they are mostly made in china or mexico now. Maybe wait for a holiday sale if you're not in a hurry labor day is a month away and then the holiday season is around right after.

Bought this whirlpool at lowes about 3 years ago it was on sale for $899 and then I got lucky they knocked another 20% off because it got scratched on the side in the delivery truck. No problem with it so far. Having the fridge on top is great not having to bend down, never going back to top freezer again. I dont know about the ones you're looking at but i've always stuck with brands like maytag, whirlpool, ge, fridgidair for appliances even though they are mostly made in china or mexico now. Maybe wait for a holiday sale if you're not in a hurry labor day is a month away and then the holiday season is around right after.

Nice!

I'd like to come up on a deal like that.

In the research I've done so far (including a couple of threads here), people tend to really like Whirlpool and Maytag, especially. On the other hand, Samsung and LG appliances seem to get a lot of negative commentary.

Most people seem to agree on one thing - they don't make appliances like they used to.

GO FOR THE AMANA I got the same fridge branded under Kenmore, I got it for around $999 from Sears Hometown store.

I wanted a bottom freezer with regular doors, not the stupid french doors that most have on the bottom, and they cost more.

Having the freezer at the top is silly, most things I get out of the fridge, so I wanted that on top, and the freezer, most stuff I keep in the door.
It basically cools the freezer compartment, and it has a fan that maintains the refrigerator temperature.

Look carefully at the delivery dates, manufacturing has been stymied by Covid. One of the Best Buy models the OP linked wouldn't be delivered to me till September.

Look carefully at the delivery dates, manufacturing has been stymied by Covid. One of the Best Buy models the OP linked wouldn't be delivered to me till September.

Good point.

But, if that's the case, it is what it is. There aren't that many bottom-freezer refrigerators under a grand. Just not a popular configuration/size, I guess.

Amana is Whirlpool, very high quality. Keep in mind, refrigerators are designed to be in the kitchen, not a garage. If the garage has extreme temperature swings it might have a difficult time keeping the temperature consistent.

GO FOR THE AMANA I got the same fridge branded under Kenmore, I got it for around $999 from Sears Hometown store.

I wanted a bottom freezer with regular doors, not the stupid french doors that most have on the bottom, and they cost more.

Having the freezer at the top is silly, most things I get out of the fridge, so I wanted that on top, and the freezer, most stuff I keep in the door.
It basically cools the freezer compartment, and it has a fan that maintains the refrigerator temperature.

I wonder if that model is not offered anymore. The smallest unit the Kenmore site shows is 22.1 cu. ft.

Amana is Whirlpool, very high quality. Keep in mind, refrigerators are designed to be in the kitchen, not a garage. If the garage has extreme temperature swings it might have a difficult time keeping the temperature consistent.

Another good point. I don't anticipate problems, though - this is a first-floor attached garage that is shielded on all sides except the front, so, temps don't get that extreme in there. Granted, it's humid in there this time of year.

For those who think Whirlpool is "very high quality", I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in April. I contacted Whirlpool in June for a service call, because it makes a loud knocking noise when it runs, and the temperature control is horrible. It is currently on the temperature setting labelled as "Recommended", but it will get as warm as 42 degrees. Set it to the next setting colder, and it starts freezing items in the refrigerator compartment.

I requested a service call in June. Tomorrow is August 1st, and I'm still waiting for Whirlpool to provide someone to work on it. The quality of their products is suspect, and their customer service is a complete failure.

For those who think Whirlpool is "very high quality", I bought a Whirlpool refrigerator in April. I contacted Whirlpool in June for a service call, because it makes a loud knocking noise when it runs, and the temperature control is horrible. It is currently on the temperature setting labelled as "Recommended", but it will get as warm as 42 degrees. Set it to the next setting colder, and it starts freezing items in the refrigerator compartment.

I requested a service call in June. Tomorrow is August 1st, and I'm still waiting for Whirlpool to provide someone to work on it. The quality of their products is suspect, and their customer service is a complete failure.

I see you’re on your 3rd Jasper engine in your truck in <1 year also... Man, you’re having a run of bad luck on your equipment, arent ya?

See if there is a Sears Outlet store in your area. I’ve gotten a few great steals from there, just a little cosmetic damage, usually incredibly minor or in a spot you’ll never see once it’s installed.

Got a brand new $1200 gas range for $600 because it had a small dent on either side that you couldn’t see once installed, a $750 stainless steel dishwasher for $300 because it had a small dent and a 2ft vertical scratch on the front, and a $2800 French door Whirlpool fridge for $1,200 because it had a scratch on one of the sides.

edit - apparently they are now known as “American Freight”

Last edited:
Width is an important factor to consider. Some fridges will stick out so consider that, also.
Ice makers are the major reliability issue of refrigerators. The simpler and cheaper the fridge, the more reliable they seem to be.

Yes on wanting made in the USA.
Many of the smaller or apartment sized refrigerators are made in Mexico while the same manufacturer may make the larger ones
here in the U.S.. Make sure it's made in the USA if that matters to you.
If you look at the Whirlpool family of brands a Maytag might have a better interior than an Amana.

We have a LG 30 cu ft French door fridge w/ pull out bottom freezer. Really like the design and interior flexibility. No issues with quality in 2 years of ownership but LG warranty support is something else. Going through hurdles to get a refund on a counter top ( built in w trim kit) microwave oven that failed after 6 months. Who in the 21st century can’t make a microwave work more than 6 months??

See if there is a Sears Outlet store in your area. I’ve gotten a few great steals from there, just a little cosmetic damage, usually incredibly minor or in a spot you’ll never see once it’s installed.

Got a brand new $1200 gas range for $600 because it had a small dent on either side that you couldn’t see once installed, a $750 stainless steel dishwasher for $300 because it had a small dent and a 2ft vertical scratch on the front, and a $2800 French door Whirlpool fridge for $1,200 because it had a scratch on one of the sides.

edit - apparently they are now known as “American Freight”

Thanks - I checked, and nothing in stock locally. Prices did look tempting. I do wonder what "refurbishment" entails, on a refrigerator.

Width is an important factor to consider. Some fridges will stick out so consider that, also.
Ice makers are the major reliability issue of refrigerators. The simpler and cheaper the fridge, the more reliable they seem to be.

Yes on wanting made in the USA.
Many of the smaller or apartment sized refrigerators are made in Mexico while the same manufacturer may make the larger ones
here in the U.S.. Make sure it's made in the USA if that matters to you.
If you look at the Whirlpool family of brands a Maytag might have a better interior than an Amana.

In the published specifications, it says it's "built in USA". I assume that means that at least some of the parts were made in China and/or other places.

We have a LG 30 cu ft French door fridge w/ pull out bottom freezer. Really like the design and interior flexibility. No issues with quality in 2 years of ownership but LG warranty support is something else. Going through hurdles to get a refund on a counter top ( built in w trim kit) microwave oven that failed after 6 months. Who in the 21st century can’t make a microwave work more than 6 months??

From what I've read on this forum, and from friends, regarding LG and Samsung, I'll be avoiding those brands.

I'd stick with Amana, Whirlpool, etc, but for all I know Hisense in the same these days.

Our last bottom freezer unit was an Amana and it went along with the house when we sold it. That was a great fridge.

The one we've had for 10yrs or so is a Whirlpool I bought from BLowes as a scratch-n-dent. Had a small dent on the side. Don't like this fridge. Hate the shelving in it. Can't stand the pull-out freezer, where the bottom basket and all it's contents moves out with the door. Total waste of space and when my kids randomly toss stuff in there, it jambs up the works when you try to open the freezer.

I had to do the duck bill valve mod on the condensate drip tube about 6 months after we took delivery of it as well.

From what I've read on this forum, and from friends, regarding LG and Samsung, I'll be avoiding those brands.

Don’t disagree but not sure how many people gloat about their purchases either. So far we’re lucky with our GE monogram dual fuel range/oven , Samsung front load washer / dryer and LG fridge. The floor model top freezer Kenmore fridge I have in the garage as a “beer fridge “ is also problem free to date. In our old house We had problems with the existing Electrolux side-by-side with freezing in the fridge, temp control and water line freezing. Junk, IMO.
It’s always a roll of the dice…

Edit: not trying to convince you, just sharing my personal experience of the usability of the LG fridge. But like owning a German car out of warranty, you probably need to have a financial instrument to secure any necessary repairs!

Back