Refrigerator shopping

The seeds of their eventual demise were planted back in the mid to late 70's when they decided that they were paying out too much money to their sales associates and decided to stop hiring full time well-compensated employees and hire only part time low wage employees. Then in 1981 they stopped issuing Sears credit cards and started Discover. The Sears credit cards held many of their customers captive to their stores and products. They would issue their cards to anyone who was breathing and had a job, many of whom could not otherwise qualify for a MasterCard, Bankamericard (Visa), or American Express card. Prior to this, they would not accept any of these other credit cards in their stores, only their own Sears card. After that, business started to go downhill.
How do I know all of this? Back in the 70's I worked at Sears, in the Automotive Department. At the time, their Automotive Departments were VERY busy places, and they had a lot of very good experienced full time employees working in them. They were the number one retailer of tires, batteries, exhaust systems, shocks, and ignition components in the US.
You are spot on. I remember when Sears cut back on sales staff. They went from having a cash register and at least one salesperson in every department to having nothing but a checkout line by the door like Walmart. That's when I stopped shopping there.

Start budgeting to replace it now. Figure by 2025, it's ready for the scrapyard. I left a new fridge in my house and brought my 30-year-old Kenmore with me for a reason!

It seems to be a design flaw repeated over and over and the failure is always the same. After some period of time, the area around the ice drawer starts to freeze up, and eventually, the area where the ice comes out is covered in ice. You can defrost the refrigerator and you can chisel the ice off and it will work for a while but happen again and again. It also seems to get worse with time with less time between freezing up. Eventually, the ice must infiltrate into the ice-making mechanism and at that point it's toast. It has been the same for every person I know experiencing this and across multiple different models and over multiple different years.

I have a 50" Samsung 1080p TV in the bedroom that must be 12 years old now and the picture is perfect and the sound is loud with great bass. I have a newer 55" Samsung 4K TV that is several models "above" the level the bedroom TV was back in the day that is 3 years old and the entire lower edge is washed out with this washout extending towards the center like a tree in three places. It has also been randomly restarting. At least Samsung doesn't make them like they used to.
Serious question: is the bedroom TV made in Korea, Taiwan, or Japan, rather than China?

No.. appliances are now disposable items. A friend of mine owns an appliance store and he sees the crap that goes through. He told me that if my 20 year old dryer dies that we should rebuild it because the new stuff is junk. Btw I went through three Whirlpool refrigerators in four years. Twice replaced under warranty. Extremely high end unit that would become unrepairable after 18 months. After the third one died just out of warranty I was stuck watching a near 4K fridge go to the recycler. With covid shortages last year I was stuck getting another Whirlpool unit. I bought an extended warranty to fend off any short term problems. No more 25 year appliances out there folks.
At this point, if I need an appliance, I will call secondhand stores and repair places, and get the oldest one there.

Except a washer. Bought a Speed Queen, it will outlast me.

Doesn't matter what brand one buys, it's a crap-shoot!
I've even heard dismal stories from people that bought SubZero which is supposed to be the Rolls Royce.
Get the brand that has parts available and not on "Back Order" another game they play to get you to buy rather than repair.
Yes: like RR, it's a prestige name, meaning breathtaking cost, mediocre (at best) reliability, poor part availability, and jaw-dropping repair cost!

Yes: like RR, it's a prestige name, meaning breathtaking cost, mediocre (at best) reliability, poor part availability, and jaw-dropping repair cost!
Exactly. Just got an email ad hawking Meile appliances.$3100 for a dishwasher $7500 for a 30" gas range. I'd buy a top of the line Kitchen and dishwasher for $800 and a Viking or Wolf range for half that.

We’re looking for a new refrigerator. Would potentially buy Bosch but the 72” height of the model we like is risky-tight for our over the fridge cabinet.

They all seem like junk, and way, way more made in China, Thailand, Mexico than I recall when we last looked.

We’re looking for a new refrigerator. Would potentially buy Bosch but the 72” height of the model we like is risky-tight for our over the fridge cabinet.

They all seem like junk, and way, way more made in China, Thailand, Mexico than I recall when we last looked.
Go by price, figure you'll have to replace it in 5-6 years.

I bought a Frigidaire 20 cubic foot 5 years ago and it's worked flawlessly. It replaced that same model that was 13 years old and still running, but Lowes had crazy sales on Memorial day, and I decided to replace it.

Yes! Both are crap...ask me how I know? I don't know a single person with a Samsung with a working ice maker.
I dont know whats wrong with samsung fridges, got one in the kitchen thats 3 years old, still works great, besides the occasional refrigerant leaking out and compressor blowing up. It is very reliable, though I do all the work on it because there is no person that comes by.

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator purchased in early 2006 that's been faultless. (Knock on wood.) No ice maker, more or less 18 cu. ft. In that time, I have replaced 2 washers, two dryers, 2 microwaves, one dishwasher and 4 indirect water heaters.

I dont know whats wrong with samsung fridges, got one in the kitchen thats 3 years old, still works great, besides the occasional refrigerant leaking out and compressor blowing up. It is very reliable, though I do all the work on it because there is no person that comes by.
Lol...That is a sad state of affairs when, "...besides the occasional refrigerant leaking out and compressor blowing up." is characterized as, "It is very reliable..."

Was told by appliance associates to avoid the Samsung. So far, our newer (2 yr.) LG French door, counter depth, ice-maker in the freezer drawer has been flawless. Around $1700. All the comments about Speed Queen washers....from what I've read the newer ones are not built anything like older models. I sure hope this state where in right now is only temporary. How things have changed!

Lol...That is a sad state of affairs when, "...besides the occasional refrigerant leaking out and compressor blowing up." is characterized as, "It is very reliable..."
I like the idea of inverter compressors, but if your compressor keeps blowing up due to the damm chip thingy on it, might aswell buy a 30 year old fridge, restore it, clean it, and use that instead. It would be cheaper.

Many decades ago, when I could afford even less than I can today, I bought some very cheap used fridges. The first two were purchased at estate auctions. The word was that fridges were typically the last thing sold at rural estate sales and nobody wanted them. On the first one I had the only bid for $1. That one lasted about 5 years. The second one was $10, and it lasted 8-10 years. The third one was a used trade in at an old school appliance dealer and repair business. $100. and delivered to my home 30 miles away. I used that one, a massive stainless bottom freezer model for about 3 years until I purchased a new Frigidaire. I only got rid of the stainless job because it was a massive kilowatt suck.

I have heard that the really old fridges had much larger and more robust compressors. Not running anywhere as often as more recent models but drawing more amperage when they did. My parents had a 1951 model, a Hotpoint, I think, that they had bought new. It still worked perfectly as a basement fridge when they left at a home they sold in 2006.

We still have a Gibson refrigerator the wife bought before we met and we've been together 33 years and not one service call on it. Maytag gas stove around 30 years old as well as a Maytag dryer we bought shortly after the stove. The one odd ball we have is a half chest freezer we bought for $99 in 1993ish, I think it's a Danby, we bought it thinking it wouldn't last long and would buy something better when we had more money.

Many decades ago, when I could afford even less than I can today, I bought some very cheap used fridges. The first two were purchased at estate auctions. The word was that fridges were typically the last thing sold at rural estate sales and nobody wanted them. On the first one I had the only bid for $1. That one lasted about 5 years. The second one was $10, and it lasted 8-10 years. The third one was a used trade in at an old school appliance dealer and repair business. $100. and delivered to my home 30 miles away. I used that one, a massive stainless bottom freezer model for about 3 years until I purchased a new Frigidaire. I only got rid of the stainless job because it was a massive kilowatt suck.

I have heard that the really old fridges had much larger and more robust compressors. Not running anywhere as often as more recent models but drawing more amperage when they did. My parents had a 1951 model, a Hotpoint, I think, that they had bought new. It still worked perfectly as a basement fridge when they left at a home they sold in 2006.
If you look at the labels, the energy usage of refrigerators have really gone down over the years since the 80's. At one point, you could replace a refrigerator from the 80's and the cost of the new one would pay you back in electricity savings in just a couple of years.

Back