54 week old LG refrigerator failure

I just junked a 6 year old LG fridge this morning. The dealer I brought it from (that usually provides great service) said my best option was probably to replace it. They said the compressor would be covered under warranty but I’d have to pay $700 in labor for the repair. They also couldn’t come out to diagnose for over a week and then would have to order parts.

After a past experience of dumping a bunch of money into an LG dishwasher that ended up getting replaced anyway AND the possibility of going without a fridge until after Christmas, I picked up a Samsung on sale at Lowe’s with decent reviews. All the Black Friday sales just ended and local inventory was pretty depleted. The fact that Lowe’s could have the Samsung delivered the next day sealed the deal.
Did Lowes tell you they offer a 3 and 5 year complete warranty including parts labor etc? It Also covers one free water filter per year.

Good ole Lucky Goldstar

I still have an antique Goldstar VGA CRT Monitor , reliable but even then ugly as a turd and low end.

Seems like everything these days only works a year.

My friends new AC died just outside the 90 days.

Makes good media, not everyone has an issue, granted the way the much loved attorneys state it's a big problem and everyone knows they are telling the truth by this YouTube presentation. So where is the other side of the story? Oops.

Never knew anyone with a problem. Top rated products that most people love, always easy to find failures when 10s of thousands are sold.
But with that said, maybe true, but dont believe it because an attorney suing the company gets a national forum to present her case. SO I see a sample of a few people and yet 1000 Consumer reports readers like theirs.

Time will tell regarding the class action lawsuit. Worst that can happen for our household is our TEN YEAR LG compressor warranty turns into a 20 year warranty if she wins on all fronts. Wont matter to us, as I doubt we would keep anything past 15 years as most people dont.
Furthermore, nothing comes close in look, quality feel and fit for our kitchen, so we would buy another. Some Samsungs look ok but not in our style, Higher end GE looks nice but do not want to patronize a company based in China. Whirlpools look like 1st graders put them together.

"Never knew anyone with a problem".

The title of the thread is

"54 week old LG refrigerator failure"​

and it's now 10 pages long.
One can convince oneself of anything if they try hard enough.
I don't think you need to try much harder.

Last edited:
My sons less than 3 years old LG recently screwed the pooch just a couple months out of warranty. All the repair shops he called refused to work on it. He bought a new Frigidaire to replace it and has fingers crossed.

There is a story and a class action lawsuit everywhere in a country with 350 million people. Pick a device, pick a brand and do a search

Just having fun here,agree there is validation of compressor issues on past LG's.
Claims of current problems need to be substantiated beyond what an attorney suing says and needs factual data based on the industry in general. Face value I doubt LG is knowingly still producing compressors that fail higher than its peers and giving ten year warranties if they knew it was still an issue, Whatever pick what works for you🧐

Last edited:
There is a story and a class action lawsuit everywhere in a country with 350 million people. Pick a device, pick a brand and do a search

Just having fun here,agree there is validation of compressor issues on past LG's.
Claims of current problems need to be substantiated beyond what an attorney suing says and needs factual data based on the industry in general. Face value I doubt LG is knowingly still producing compressors that fail higher than its peers and giving ten year warranties if they knew it was still an issue, Whatever pick what works for you🧐
But a 10 year warranty is useless if the replacement parts are unavailable. That's been one of the main complaints about the LG compressor problem.

Aged like milk on a hot san diego day
-stay classy

Federal lawsuit claims common fridge failures are corporate fraud​

Last edited:
Amazing comments based on media reports. But then again, people elect our leaders based on TV performances, best performance wins right?
Makes you wonder ...

Since 2020 the Consumer Product Safety Commission that USA taxpayers pay for, reports (according to USA Today) that 75 percent of refrigerator safety complaints are about Samsung refrigerators ... Oops !
Let me translate that for some in here. 3 out of 4 safety complaints are about Samsung Refrigerators.
This was back from the end of 2022

oh no not again!
Less complaints and Samsung still holds the lead! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Amazing comments based on media reports. But then again, people elect our leaders based on TV performances, best performance wins right?
Makes you wonder ...

Since 2020 the Consumer Product Safety Commission that USA taxpayers pay for, reports (according to USA Today) that 75 percent of refrigerator safety complaints are about Samsung refrigerators ... Oops !
Let me translate that for some in here. 3 out of 4 safety complaints are about Samsung Refrigerators.
This was back from the end of 2022

oh no not again!
Less complaints and Samsung still holds the lead! :ROFLMAO:

I didn't exclude Samsung. We actually have a ~2021 LG in the Gee-Roge.

People stop buying LG and Samsung and the problem takes care of itself.

I didn't exclude Samsung. We actually have a ~2021 LG in the Gee-Roge.

People stop buying LG and Samsung and the problem takes care of itself.
That is if there is a problem.🙃
Choose wisely for your brand and model, because without those two, the choice is limited in the given price range for look, feel and perceived quality of materials. We were very surprised as we always liked the brand, but something happened in the last few years.

Chinese owned GE has some nice looking French store models but the side-by-side to us looked terrible.

Whirlpool, which is what I set out to buy, was very disappointing in the plastic feel of the drawers and sloppy foam insulation, squeezing out of seams in some places.

Last edited:
Back