Refrigerator shopping

Time had come to replace my 21 year old side by side whirlpool refrigerator. Finding one in stock that met my wife's specs french door with freezer on the bottom was appearing to be a tough get. Went to home depot, menards and nothing in stock. Decided to stop at Lowes on the way back home and nothing there either. As the salesperson at Lowes was giving me the bad news I happened to notice a refrigerator box over in the main aisle and ask about it. Salesperson checked on it and it was exactly what I was after. It was a special order that was never picked up and was on discount. She took another 10% off if I took it right then so I got a $3800 LG for $2250. Sometimes its good to be lucky i guess. Install was easy.

Last edited:
Samsung should hang their heads in shame over that four-door POS they made. I've never had so much trouble with an appliance in my life, and eventually couldn't even find a technician willing to work on it because it uses propane refrigerant. It was fun watching a $3,000 + refrigerator get hauled away at less than 4 years old.

I tell anyone who will listen.. stay away from Samsung.

Keep us posted on how the LG is doing. I have no experience with them.. yet.

Samsung should hang their heads in shame over that four-door POS they made. I've never had so much trouble with an appliance in my life, and eventually couldn't even find a technician willing to work on it because it uses propane refrigerant. It was fun watching a $3,000 + refrigerator get hauled away at less than 4 years old.

I tell anyone who will listen to check the filter on a GE refrigerator before they buy. If it has an RPWFE water filter, plan on regular filter changes at $50 a pop. It's just a small charcoal filter with an RFID tag on the side, charging that much for one is highway robbery.

I have never had experience with their products but I hear the samsung/LG service/repair model is basically a cartel. They send low level employees from Korea over and start these small "certified samsung" appliance repair shops and its the only one you can use if you want to keep warranty etc and who they send if you call the company hotline, and they are understaffed with poorly trained employees and basically crap. Ive only heard of this because I went to high school with a Korean girl whos husband ran one of these things. Nothing but terrible reviews, until curiously it started getting flooded by stellar reviews in questionable English. Maybe its changed since then, idk

• Wow
Reactions: JC1
Bought a Frigidaire at Home Depot and installed the ice maker myself. It works fine but those new style compressors make some very weird noises.

The in-laws do....but theirs is less than a year old. lolol
Give it time. Ours lasted about 18 months. I have 9 other friends and not one has a working ice maker. On some of our local FB groups, there's a running joke about the number of posts asking how/who can repair a Samsung icemaker.

I think in this stupid economy you have to take what you can get unless you want to wait a couple months. We just replaced a Frigidaire that did nothing but break down for 5 years. We bought an LG because that is what was available in the 33 in size we needed. I don't think any are made like they used to be.

Give it time. Ours lasted about 18 months. I have 9 other friends and not one has a working ice maker. On some of our local FB groups, there's a running joke about the number of posts asking how/who can repair a Samsung icemaker.
One guy on another forum I frequent said his repair guy told him 9 months to get a part to repair his fridge. xD

• Wow
Reactions: JC1
It's weird with todays electronics. Cell phones, TV's and computers have gotten better. Refrigerators not so much.

I would say to buy the extended warranty, but since it’s Lowe’s don’t bother. A family member bought a new fridge from Lowe’s a year ago and has had trouble with the ice maker a couple times. Lowe’s warranty service has been horrible.

It's weird with todays electronics. Cell phones, TV's and computers have gotten better. Refrigerators not so much.
Not always. TVs have gotten worse in reliability as well. The biggest problem IMO is people are paying for features and fashion instead of reliability. When you start seeing companies selling for longer warranty (i.e. 10 years) and customers are paying more, then you will see them lasting longer.

Back