2015 F350 Super Duty at auction today

I know a black door is ideal but you’ll likely need paint work on the fender where the front door rubbed it and definitely on the cab. A rear door probably pays 3-4 hours which at shop rates in St. Louis is about $400 with materials. That wouldn’t include de-trimming the door. I’m not sure what the premium is with shipping for a black door vs a local white one, just something to keep in mind.
RH,

Glad you know of a body shop in Missouri that will do the work to standard. I knew of body shop that did work to standard in the 1980s. I am sure some body shops that do work to standard are still around; I am just not aware of any.

I am not faulting today's body shops. The insurance industry has forced most body shops to cut corners to keep their doors open.

Last edited:
I never posted the most worrisome part of this purchase. The vehicle has no fuel in it.

For multiple reasons that makes zero sense. I should know if there is more to that in about 28 hours.

RH,

Glad you know of a body shop in Missouri that will do the work to standard. I knew of body shop that did work to standard in the 1980s. I am sure some are body shops that do work to standard are still around; I am just not aware of any.

I am not faulting today's body shops. The insurance industry has forced most body shops to cut corners to keep their doors open.

Those figures are a few years old so I’m probably low but in the ballpark. Those were insurance rates which vary widely between markets. St. Louis had some of the higher body labor rates in the country, outside of the Bay Area. You should be able to ask around and talk to some shops about what it is you want to do and they may work with you, especially if it’s something you don’t need immediately as they can keep a tech busy during slower times. I’m curious what the rocker and floor look like once the doors are open. Keep us updated!

I never posted the most worrisome part of this purchase. The vehicle has no fuel in it.

For multiple reasons that makes zero sense. I should know if there is more to that in about 28 hours.

I saw that, I hoped it either got siphoned or removed while at the tow yard or slightly worse, someone punctured the fuel tank to steal it. Hopefully the engine works. You keep things interesting around here with your purchases, that’s for sure!

Found the rear door at a great price on Ebay in Vermont. The ad didn't mention shipping, so I went to send the Seller a note and this was Ebay's auto response "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I guess Ebay tracks Sellers that don't respond to questions and then cuts off questions to the Seller?
I run into this more often now- if the seller can't take the time to answer a question from a prospective buyer, I strike them off the list and won't take the time to hit the buy it now button.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I run into this more often now- if the seller can't take the time to answer a question from a prospective buyer, I strike them off the list and won't take the time to hit the buy it now button.
He is not going to pay shipping for what he is charging for the door...that's pretty much a given. What mode and what type of shipping will he use? It seems to me that door would ship common carrier. It's too big and heavy for anything else. The seller may just wait for a local buyer-and not hassle with it.

According to the notes on the item's description, the eBay seller is unwilling to ship the door.

Shipping and handling​

Item location:
Ontario, New York, United States
Ships to:
Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).

I saw that, I hoped it either got siphoned or removed while at the tow yard or slightly worse, someone punctured the fuel tank to steal it. Hopefully the engine works. You keep things interesting around here with your purchases, that’s for sure!
RH,

I never thought of a theft induced punctured gas tank. The truck appears to come from the Portland area- known for a lot of crime.

You have me taking a second look at my plan tomorrow to take a train 130 miles to pick up the truck. I was thinking maybe some safety feature to shut of the fuel delivery in case of accident. But pictures suggest the truck was hit while not running or at very low speed as side airbags did not deploy.

Last edited:
According to the notes on the item's description, the eBay seller is unwilling to ship the door.

Shipping and handling​

Item location:
Ontario, New York, United States
Ships to:
Will arrange for local pickup only (no shipping).
Maybe I posted the wrong ad? This is the listing I thought I posted which implies shipping is available, although the title states local pickup only.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304686885582?hash=item46f0c0eace The listing discusses shipping in some detail.

Maybe I posted the wrong ad? This is the listing I thought I posted which implies shipping is available, although the title states local pickup only.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/304686885582?hash=item46f0c0eace The listing discusses shipping in some detail.
GON, I think you posted the correct link to the rear door in your original post #17. The seller is in Ontario, NY, correct? The latest link you posted (in post #29) is for the passenger side rear door and the seller is in Bomoseen, Vermont.

GON, I think you posted the correct link to the rear door in your original post #17. The seller is in Ontario, NY, correct? The latest link you posted (in post #29) is for the passenger side rear door and the seller is in Bomoseen, Vermont.
NM7,

Thanks- I am not sure what I posted. Couldn't sleep and was looking at a bunch of listings. As you pointed out, the NY listings were for local pick up only, as were most of the listings for this part. Thanks for clarifying this.

A little more on the fuel shutoff:
The 2015 owner's manual has this procedure in it for the fuel pump in case of an accident. (taken from FTE)

FUEL SHUTOFF
WARNING
Failure to inspect and, if necessary,
repair fuel leaks after a collision may
increase the risk of fire and serious
injury. Ford Motor Company recommends
that the fuel system be inspected by an
authorized dealer after any collision.

In the event of a moderate to severe
collision, this vehicle is equipped with a
fuel pump shut-off feature that stops the
flow of fuel to the engine. Not every impact
will cause a shut-off.
Should your vehicle shut off after a
collision, you may restart your vehicle by
doing the following:
1. Turn the ignition off.
2. Turn the ignition to crank.
3. Turn the ignition off.
4. Turn the ignition on
Looking at the schematics, there is a fuel pump control module on the frame.
capture_b4e0ca91306a44e737083c9d73acfe098c6a30d2.jpg

Ideally, it triggered the fuel shutoff and the tank just happens to be low so IAA said it’s out of fuel.

When this got hit might’ve been at the time of peak gas prices and the owner had just put $150 in the tank. Maybe he emptied the tank before having IAA pick it up?

Ideally, it triggered the fuel shutoff and the tank just happens to be low so IAA said it’s out of fuel.

When this got hit might’ve been at the time of peak gas prices and the owner had just put $150 in the tank. Maybe he emptied the tank before having IAA pick it up?
Rh,

From what I understand, emptying the fuel tanks most modern vehicles is labor and tool intensive. Not like the days of my Dad's Ford Torino that we would mouth start siphon gas for the lawn mower or motorcycle. We should get a better understanding tomorrow.

At the Amtrak station,. waiting to board the train to Portland to get the truck. Have a few tools, a super heavy jump back in hand. The Milwaukee bag has a empty two gallon gas can in it.

I screwed up, found out I could have rented a Avis one way cheaper than the Amtrak and the Uber, and have had a car to run around in if I have a problem getting the truck started.
PXL_20221219_154801701.jpg
PXL_20221219_154834161.jpg

I will go to 7k on this. I know I won't win, but one never knows.

What I like is the topper. Toppers on pickup trucks usually means an old guy owned it. This truck is a one owner, purchased in Denver. XLT package, so not overly optioned, but I like the options to include snowplow package and camper springs.

What makes this a expensive salvage repair of all things is the non-crew cab. The "smaller sized" back door is hard to find, I suspect very hard.

My guess this will sell in the 15k-22k range. If not damaged, on-line appraisal tools value this truck at or near the price it sold for new. For note, I subscribe to epicvin, so I can (and have) seen the pictures and advertisement of this truck selling new on the Ford dealer lot in Colorado.
It's been a minute since I've lived in the Pacific NW, but when I did (Corvallis, OR), everyone had toppers. Everyone. It was rare to see a pickemup truck without them.

It's been a minute since I've lived in the Pacific NW, but when I did (Corvallis, OR), everyone had toppers. Everyone. It was rare to see a pickemup truck without them.

It would seem with all the rain that would make sense........

Truck is home and in the garage. Exactly one inch to long for the garage door to close, so I have some thinking to do.

Picking up the truck was uneventful. The only tool I needed outside of the 2 gallon gas can, was the wire snipper to cut the security chain holding the keys to the steering wheel. Put in the fuel, she started right up, drove her home.

She is not a creampuff as I was overly optimistic. She was parked outside most if not all of the time. A little bit of surface rust here and there, but nothing that is worrisome. The owner was fairly clean, but had a dog, and was not a neat freak. The paint has some oxidation, and a huge BITOG NOGO was found- a jiffylube sticker on the window. Truck past its oil change life by date, but not by mileage.

Truck drove very nice, no issues whatsoever, other than the driver door is fully out of service. The truck has Yokohomo tires, another sign the owner was not throwing money at the truck (no Michelins).

Now to the meat and potatoes. The damage to the underside of the cab is a bit more that I wanted to see, but I think it will be ok. The pictures show the crunches well. I don't know if the sidestep protected the cab, or caused more damage. No damage seen inside the cab, the roof seems just fine. The driver side power seat works, and none of the side or roof airbags deployed. You can see where the body shop or insurance appraiser market the underside damage with a blue marker.

Overall- happy as the truck runs great, overall, pretty clean, and it is a truck that I could not justify buying at a private party price, which by some estimates is over 30k.
PXL_20221219_234522008.jpg
PXL_20221219_234505859.jpg
PXL_20221219_234331903.jpg
PXL_20221219_234325559.jpg
PXL_20221219_234251856.jpg
PXL_20221219_234340720.jpg
PXL_20221219_234346850.jpg
PXL_20221220_001953418.jpg

Last edited:
Back