7.3 diesel Super Dutys' still fetching premium used price

Status
Not open for further replies.
an LQ4 truck will last just as long, be just as capable, and cost less than half as much.
The value of those trucks is holding similarly as well, when compared to the newer variants of the same vehicles. The ones that are known to last hold their value. These days it's a lot easier to research and find the answers than it was when I was a kid.

More likely to have problems when it's not driven every day.
A 24 for year vehicle will have (occasional) issues-as a daily driver. To say it won't is nonsensical. Didn't read the entire description, but at that amount of miles it's coming up for front end work before long that's a given.$$$

More likely to have problems when it's not driven every day.
That's the million dollar question.

On my 2002 f350 v10, it rarely gets used. Only issues I have experienced is failed coils.after sitting for an extended time. Thankfully, a failed coil on this engine is super easy to replace.

That's the million dollar question.

On my 2002 f350 v10, it rarely gets used. Only issues I have experienced is failed coils.after sitting for an extended time. Thankfully, a failed coil on this engine is super easy to replace.
Those coils were a common failure when I worked at Ford in parts and service when that truck was 2 years old. One of our employees had to replace all of them (one at a time) over 6 months on his 2002 5.4.

Reactions: GON
A 24 for year vehicle will have (occasional) issues-as a daily driver. To say it won't is nonsensical. Didn't read the entire description, but at that amount of miles it's coming up for front end work before long that's a given.$$$
Yes front end stuff will wear out mostly based on mileage and usage conditions. It's other stuff that tends to happen when they sit for longer periods.

I've noticed most tire shops don't carry a lot of stock. It gets delivered to them on the truck multiple times per day.
We stock minimal tires. Mostly because space is limited. But also it seemed like whatever we stocked in a certain size, people didn't want. We would stock cheapest and they would want all Michelin. Switched it up to stock only expensive and they wanted cheapest. So now I just stock the OE tires for newer Mazda on their program and some of the more popular Ford OE tires. If they want something else, we order it for next day or sometimes same day. Not worth wasting the dealer owner's money on inventory that just sits on the shelf and loses value.

an LQ4 truck will last just as long, be just as capable, and cost less than half as much.
Are you talking about the the 7.3 capability comment? Because while it is reliable, one of the best diesels made. It not as capable as my current gas 3/4 ton. My son has a 2003 LB7 Duramax with is a 100 HP more than the 7.3 and my new gas truck stops better, rides better and just plain tows better. I would see 7.3s climbing the passes out here in Washington and have no problem going right around them with my 02 Gasser and certainly my 17. Longevity in the land of trucks comes down to how much you are willing to spend to keep one on the road. Right now it is cheaper to keep them going.

Are you talking about the the 7.3 capability comment? Because while it is reliable, one of the best diesels made. It not as capable as my current gas 3/4 ton. My son has a 2003 LB7 Duramax with is a 100 HP more than the 7.3 and my new gas truck stops better, rides better and just plain tows better. I would see 7.3s climbing the passes out here in Washington and have no problem going right around them with my 02 Gasser and certainly my 17. Longevity in the land of trucks comes down to how much you are willing to spend to keep one on the road. Right now it is cheaper to keep them going.
Part of the issue with gas vs. diesel (pre-DPF) is towing/hauling MPG-you're going to lose a LOT of mileage hauling with a big gas engine over a big diesel. The higher price of diesel, plus the $$$ & aggravation of the DPF/emissions system, has negated that somewhat, but you'll still pay a price at the pump. Hauling the same trailer, my Cummins Ram could get almost DOUBLE the MPG that the Express 6.0 in my sig gets!

Part of the issue with gas vs. diesel (pre-DPF) is towing/hauling MPG-you're going to lose a LOT of mileage hauling with a big gas engine over a big diesel. The higher price of diesel, plus the $$$ & aggravation of the DPF/emissions system, has negated that somewhat, but you'll still pay a price at the pump. Hauling the same trailer, my Cummins Ram could get almost DOUBLE the MPG that the Express 6.0 in my sig gets!
to be fair those 6.0s were gas hogs to begin with, towing or not.

I don't care about gas mileage. :)

It wasn't about gas mileage, which for some is a selling point. You know how long I would have to drive a diesel to make up the 10,000 dollar difference? For someone like me who puts about 3000 miles on the truck a year the diesel would be stupid for me as the heaviest trailer I tow is 8000lbs. When talking about a 7.3 VS any modern 3/4 ton and up the current crop of trucks are rated to tow more, have more payload, ride better and are more comfortable. Nothing wrong with 7.3 but technology has made a ton of improvements since 2002.

Yes, but it is still a truck with 139k miles at almost $30k USD. One can get a 2017+ updated Super Duty with like mileage at a like price point.

So the decision becomes, a rock solid diesel engine that is not so efficient in a 24 year old truck, or a 2017+ Super Duty diesel with huge emissions risks, but much more efficient, powerful, ample parts, advanced transmissions, great factory tech towing features, and significantly more towing capacity.

I was surprised this truck did not come with rear parking sensors.
I didn’t pay that much but I paid a bit of at least a Covid premium for my 4WD 1996 CTD. It’s super clean and rust free, love it. There’s a range of reasons why folks may want these trucks.

It should also be noted this truck's maximum tire size is 16", which may make getting replacement E series tires hard.

There is a factory fix to the 16" rim size. In 2004 and 2004 only, Ford offered an optional 18" rim for this truck on the Lariat, Harley Davidson, and King Ranch models. I have a set of Harley 18" factory rims on my 2002, and a set of 18" Lariat rims on standby as spares. I viewed the 16" tire size as a longer term availability risk.

One can use aftermarket spacers to address the rim size, but IMHO spacers and one-ton trucks are not a good practice.
I don’t think the tire thing will be an issue for a long while. The 16” tire sizes were pretty common. A more modern 18” wheel may look obnoxious, and cost a lot more too.

That said, bigger more capable brakes would likely be a welcome ad.

Says who? All cars new and old have problems but because it's older does not mean it's junk. I still daily my 87 often.
You can easily drive a new car (generally) at least 100,000 without issues. And most come standard with a 50,000 mile power train if you do.

A 24 year old vehicle will have problems-it's a given.

You can easily drive a new car (generally) at least 100,000 without issues. And most come standard with a 50,000 mile power train if you do.

100%.

Even if well maintained, if I bought any used vehicle it would likely need a few things before I'd consider it "sorted". I love the 7.3 trucks, but for me it is more about nostalgia as I drove one for work during high school. Besides that they don't compare to newer gas offerings.

So BituminousCoal, I'll bite. Are just going to keep laughing or provide data, as to how a 7.3 is more capable then a current truck to include the Cummins, L5P Duramax, or the 6.7 Powerstroke. Might as well talk about the top of the line gassers too. No one doubts their ease of maintenance, MPGs, reliability or their ability to go 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles. These are proven things with a 7.3. Lets just talk about capability. Payload and towing.

Last edited:

If it's got 4 wheels it will have problems. My wife's 2013 Sonata has broken down more the past 2 years than my 1984 Oldsmobile. And we took the Oldsmobile on all of our long trips. It can be easier to keep a 40 year old vehicle reliable than a 10 year old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back