7.3 diesel Super Dutys' still fetching premium used price

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I was checking out the sold used prices for 7.3 diesel Super Dutys' on Ebay.

This one owner 2002 F350 Crew Cab with 137k miles sold at auction for $29k USD. It is interesting to see the premium some put on having a diesel without emissions.

s-l1600.jpg

thats a 24 year old pickup, Its going to have problem if you drive it everyday. There are lot of things to go wrong on a vehicle that have nothing to do with the drivetrain.

It feels weird to say, but that is probably money well spent..
I have the same 2002 F350 but with the 6.8L V10 gasser and a 4.3 rear/ short bed. Very reliable truck. Not an issue, but the front end does have manual grease points, some of the zerks require a special fitting to get to unless front wheels are removed. I just spent $1200 on lower front seat leathers, new lower cushions, and new seat heating element.

The four speed auto trans in this truck is regarded as very reliable.

thats a 24 year old pickup, Its going to have problem if you drive it everyday. There are lot of things to go wrong on a vehicle that have nothing to do with the drivetrain.
Yes, I am replacing the fuel pump on my 2002 because the fuel sending unit failed. Parts are more available for this truck than many later model Ford vehicles. But, Ford seems to quit making parts early in a vehicles' lifecycle- so there definitely are maintenance risks.

That’s a super clean example - an outlier, really.
Yes, but it is still a truck with 139k miles at almost $30k USD. One can get a 2017+ updated Super Duty with like mileage at a like price point.

So the decision becomes, a rock solid diesel engine that is not so efficient in a 24 year old truck, or a 2017+ Super Duty diesel with huge emissions risks, but much more efficient, powerful, ample parts, advanced transmissions, great factory tech towing features, and significantly more towing capacity.

I was surprised this truck did not come with rear parking sensors.

It should also be noted this truck's maximum tire size is 16", which may make getting replacement E series tires hard.

There is a factory fix to the 16" rim size. In 2004 and 2004 only, Ford offered an optional 18" rim for this truck on the Lariat, Harley Davidson, and King Ranch models. I have a set of Harley 18" factory rims on my 2002, and a set of 18" Lariat rims on standby as spares. I viewed the 16" tire size as a longer term availability risk.

One can use aftermarket spacers to address the rim size, but IMHO spacers and one-ton trucks are not a good practice.

It should also be noted this truck's maximum tire size is 16", which may make getting replacement E series tires hard.

There is a factory fix to the 16" rim size. In 2004 and 2004 only, Ford offered an optional 18" rim for this truck on the Lariat, Harley Davidson, and King Ranch models. I have a set of Harley 18" factory rims on my 2002, and a set of 18" Lariat rims on standby as spares. I viewed the 16" tire size as a longer term availability risk.

One can use aftermarket spacers to address the rim size, but IMHO spacers and one-ton trucks are not a good practice.
There's so many of these trucks (and older trucks) running around with 16s that you'll be able to get them forever. You won't get the brodozer brands like Nitto for much longer, but no loss there.

These were good trucks. Last of the rough and ready type trucks - solid axle and leaf springs all around, or a durable-if-awkward twin I-beam front on the 2wd trucks. The plugspitter 5400 and 6800 ran forever as long as you could keep plugs in them. But the big achilles heel on these trucks is the insane body rot!

Mine is VERY rough but the cab still sits level. I think I have the last 99-04 superduty in my county that hasn't collapsed the cab yet.

There's so many of these trucks (and older trucks) running around with 16s that you'll be able to get them forever.
Not sure I concur that the 16's will be readily available by a top manufacturer in "E" rating over the long haul. My life experience says that tire in 16" E rating is a risk in future availability. I went to great lengths to get the 18" rims to mitigate the risk.

Not sure I concur that the 16's will be readily available by a top manufacturer in "E" rating over the long haul. My life experience says that tire in 16" E rating is a risk in future availability. I went to great lengths to get the 18" rims to mitigate the risk.

The 16" Load Range E tires are still a very common tire in commercial use. They were not a boutique type size or type of tire and were used on a wide variety of heavy duty applications. As an example, Tirerack still offers 52 different tires, including offerings from Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin, Firestone, General, Bridgestone, and Yokohomas as an example. We have zero trouble sourcing and installing major brands on our fleet same day here...

Econoline vans through 2014 still ran 16" tires. GM Express vans up to 2020 used 16" Load Range E tires. The current transit vans also run 16" tires... Chevy heavy duty trucks ran 16" wheels standard through 2010.

Basic point is that using Ford who stopped with the 16" wheels on the superduty in 2005 is one data point - there are many other applications that went on much longer still in common use today.

My neighbor who is 5'4 had a work truck stripper 99 that was beat to hell and gushed oil like the exxon valdez. I think he sold it at 350k-ish or so and only replaced a few starters. Never cared for them myself because they seem overly large, loud and s l o w.

Ebay has been good to me for cheap tires, I look for new take off's.

The 16" Load Range E tires are still a very common tire in commercial use. They were not a boutique type size or type of tire and were used on a wide variety of heavy duty applications. As an example, Tirerack still offers 52 different tires, including offerings from Goodyear, Cooper, Michelin, Firestone, General, Bridgestone, and Yokohomas as an example. We have zero trouble sourcing and installing major brands on our fleet same day here...

Econoline vans through 2014 still ran 16" tires. GM Express vans up to 2020 used 16" Load Range E tires. The current transit vans also run 16" tires... Chevy heavy duty trucks ran 16" wheels standard through 2010.

Basic point is that using Ford who stopped with the 16" wheels on the superduty in 2005 is one data point - there are many other applications that went on much longer still in common use today.
For a fleet that has a budget, with spare trucks, etc the risk changes.

Let's change the scenario. The Friday before labor, hauling a 20 foot enclosed trailer 100 miles west of Fargo North Dakota on I90 and something in the road causes two of the truck tires to failure. I think one is much more likely to find 18 tires locally. For 16 tires, might not be able to order them until Tuesday.

The above scenario happened to me , it was a different vehicle and in i80 in south Dakota, but the risk is definitely different for a private owned vehicle towing a trailer than for a fleet or a truck that stays close the home.

My neighbor who is 5'4 had a work truck stripper 99 that was beat to hell and gushed oil like the exxon valdez. I think he sold it at 350k-ish or so and only replaced a few starters. Never cared for them myself because they seem overly large, loud and s l o w.

Ebay has been good to me for cheap tires, I look for new take off's.
Like you, I look for new take offs. 18" e rated take offs are still available to find. But the new trend is 20" e rated take offs. I tow with a lot of weight and go through a lot of tires.

I think the average 3/4 ton gas pickup today has comparable reliability and more capability than a 7.3L diesel.
I would agree but a lot of diesel owners, at least in my area, care more about the perceived “coolness” of their brodozers than actual towing and hauling capability or reliability.

For a fleet that has a budget, with spare trucks, etc the risk changes.

Let's change the scenario. The Friday before labor, hauling a 20 foot enclosed trailer 100 miles west of Fargo North Dakota on I90 and something in the road causes two of the truck tires to failure. I think one is much more likely to find 18 tires locally. For 16 tires, might not be able to order them until Tuesday.

The above scenario happened to me , it was a different vehicle and in i80 in south Dakota, but the risk is definitely different for a private owned vehicle towing a trailer than for a fleet or a truck that stays close the home.

I 80 is Nebraska. I 90 goes across South Dakota.

Again, every tire supplier we use has 16" Load Range E tires in stock. Zero issues with availability. We don't keep any inventory on hand since it has not ever been an issue.

The last emergency tire replacement I had due to a flat was in Lusk, WY if the idea is I never deal with remote location tire issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back