7.3 diesel Super Dutys' still fetching premium used price

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's got 4 wheels it will have problems. My wife's 2013 Sonata has broken down more the past 2 years than my 1984 Oldsmobile. And we took the Oldsmobile on all of our long trips. It can be easier to keep a 40 year old vehicle reliable than a 10 year old one.
Are you East of the Mississippi? Yes-it's a pertinent question to your post.

I have a ‘96 F250 with the 7.3. I’m keeping it because I like it, it’s paid for, it’s a workhorse and did I mention that I like it? Would I pay 30 grand for one? No way. Unless it was a frame up restoration with lots of good mods.

It has 240,000 miles on it and I do my own work so maintenance costs are minimal. It’s reliable but it does make me nervous sometimes on long trips, I keep thinking “This thing has to break down sooner or later.”

One can get a 2017+ updated Super Duty with like mileage at a like price point.
I don't know about this. That truck in the picture appears to be a Lariat. I found precisely two 2017+ F250 crew cab 4x4s under $30K with less than 140K miles on them within 100 miles of me and they are both white XL stripper work trucks, and gassers. Trucks come with a lot more stuff now in general but a work truck is still pretty basic and the Lariat would have been a pretty nice trim even back in 2002. Probably leather and all the options. Plus a real paint color not just flat white like the XL work trucks.

The search area in question from my zip code would include all of Austin, San Antonio, Killeen, Copperas Cove, Temple and Waco. Probably close to 5 million people if not more. And we love big trucks around here.

I think you're going to have to spend more than $30K to get something similar to the depicted truck in a 2017+, at least in my area. And you're definitely not getting a diesel for that money.

If it's got 4 wheels it will have problems. My wife's 2013 Sonata has broken down more the past 2 years than my 1984 Oldsmobile. And we took the Oldsmobile on all of our long trips. It can be easier to keep a 40 year old vehicle reliable than a 10 year old one.
My 2012 Sonata was dead nuts reliable, just did maintenance. But I sold it off at 95K because I was worried about the well chronicled 2.4 engine issues, didn't want to get stuck on the highway somewhere with a spun rod.

My 2012 Sonata was dead nuts reliable, just did maintenance. But I sold it off at 95K because I was worried about the well chronicled 2.4 engine issues, didn't want to get stuck on the highway somewhere with a spun rod.
That's why we don't take ours on long trips. It really hasn't been a bad car, it was just a starter failure 3 times (plastic lever that breaks inside). But it is still an example of a car that is 30 years newer, but is less reliable to take on a long trip. Both vehicles are reasonably well maintained. The Oldsmobile is parked for winter because of salt. I've put 130k miles on it since 2007 and it has broken down twice in that time. One of which was my fault. Never left me stranded anywhere but home though.

I was really concerned about the kid's 2003 LB7 Sierra. It is now at 245,000 and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere especially with how well it towed my Travel Trailer and the parade float. I think knowing the history is key. The truck GON posted has tons of life left.

That's why we don't take ours on long trips. It really hasn't been a bad car, it was just a starter failure 3 times (plastic lever that breaks inside). But it is still an example of a car that is 30 years newer, but is less reliable to take on a long trip. Both vehicles are reasonably well maintained. The Oldsmobile is parked for winter because of salt. I've put 130k miles on it since 2007 and it has broken down twice in that time. One of which was my fault. Never left me stranded anywhere but home though.
Ah yes I remember the starter issue with the rod. Someone on one of the forums I was on worked up some kind of fix for that, but I don't remember what it was now.

Ah yes I remember the starter issue with the rod. Someone on one of the forums I was on worked up some kind of fix for that, but I don't remember what it was now.
Our local rebuilder stocks them so I just keep buying them there. Last time he charged $5 cash. Then a few hundred labor to have it replaced cause I'm not pulling the intake on the wife's car. I was told the rest of the starter would outlast the plastic lever, and that turned out to be true. I've had bad luck with aftermarket starters so fixing the original seemed like the best option.

So BituminousCoal, I'll bite. Are just going to keep laughing or provide data, as to how a 7.3 is more capable then a current truck to include the Cummins, L5P Duramax, or the 6.7 Powerstroke. Might as well talk about the top of the line gassers too. No one doubts their ease of maintenance, MPGs, reliability or their ability to go 500,000 to 1,000,000 miles. These are proven things with a 7.3. Lets just talk about capability. Payload and towing.
The 2017 6.7 f-350 handles a very heavy trailer better.

I specifically mean it handles better. Plenty of power under 12k trailer with the 7.3 mildly chipped. My 7k boat, no difference.
I've seen the messes, I don't drive like a maniac while towing.

I'm less worried about the 7.3s on a trip than the 6.7.

Preventative scheduled maintenance is key. If you don't replace parts before they go bad, the vehicle will drive like an old vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back