Which vehicle would you take if you could only bring one vehicle, and have to leave (sell) the vehicle when you depart for good?

If it were me I’m going to take your 6.2L
Those V10s are also good motors but they certainly font have the reputation the 6.2L has for reliability.

Also the 6.2L will start no problem in -40 with just the block heater(ask me how I know) and the HVAC in those trucks blow good heat(you were smart to rule out the 2019 6.7L, while the 6.7L will start when plugged in no problem at -40 it will take a hour to blow “heat” and never really get hot, again ask me how I know).

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Another consideration for the 6.2 over the V10 is the 6.2 was in production until just last year so that will most likely help for parts availability.

I work by the Arctic Ocean.

Work provides me with a truck as well as room and board. Currently have a 2017 2500 Dodge with the 6.4L Hemi. It's got about 22,000 miles but around 12,000 hours as we leave it running when it's below -20*

Usually do 3 week rotations between work and home, same with my swap out.

The 2015 F350. Desirable truck. Gasoline for cold weather. Common engine and servicing.

But, I think we need to talk about that job…

I could be completely wrong.... but isn't it a modular engine? Basically the 4.6 v8 (Mustangs and Crown Vics) with an extra cylinder on each bank?
Yes, it is the well sold 2V modular engine. Only issue with the engine is spark plugs blowing out of the head, other than that, with proper oil changes, the 2V is considered a very reliable engine in many circles.

Since you say the F-series is so prominent there, I'd probably take the 6.2 gas pickup. It will start easier, produce heat much more quickly, and it sounds like it would be easily sold, if you chose to leave it there.

A lot of this style Super Duty in use on this area.
When I worked in Russia our LT’s spent lots of time in 4WD - the F250 PSD’s had less repairs than the Toyota Hilux …
(they liked to eat drive line - not the engine) …

• Helpful
@GON, you never cease to amaze. From your secret squirrel job to your transcontinental moves to your auction car rescue hobby to your tastes in real estate... you lead an interesting life.
AZJ,

Think you might have mixed me up with some else.

I am a WOW guy :

WOW- Short for Whipped, Owned and Wrapped. Refers to when a guy is so totally dominated by a woman that he is whipped and owned by her and wrapped around her finger.

Which vehicle would you take if you could only bring one vehicle, and have to leave (sell) the vehicle when you depart for good? This is a hypothetical scenario. Job relates to providing protection against potential adversaries that can now navigate the entire Arctic Ocean.

I am getting ready to retire (summer 2024) and start a new chapter in my career. Over the past few months I have been applying for jobs all over the continent. For most applications, I don’t make the cut for a interview. I have received conditional employment offers in Arizona and Arkansas.

Late last night I received a correspondence that I am one of three final candidates for a job in one of the harshest and remote locations on the continent. I am not sure if the employer provides a vehicle, and if so can the vehicle be used for personal use. If I bring a vehicle, it will have to be flown in, and likely left (sold) at the location when my employment ends. Too expensive to transport anything out of this remote location.

Maintenance/ repairs will have to be done by a local garage. I won’t have the ability to perform repairs myself- no garage, no tools, etc. The most popular vehicles in this area appear to be F series pickups, primarily 1999-2016 Super Dutys.

I have four prospect vehicles to choose from- all are 4wd

2002 F350 crew cab V10 gasser (155k miles) short bed

2005 Lexus GX 470 (140k miles)

2015 F350 V8 6.2L super cab (99k miles) long bed

2019 F350 Dually diesel (56k miles)

I have dropped the 2005 Lexus and the 2019 F350 from primary zone of consideration. Although the Lexus is super dependable, I don’t know that service/ parts will be available. The dually is super nice but not something that can easily be sold upon departure, and shipping cost to the location will be significantly higher than the other three vehicles.

So, in the primary zone are the 2002 F350 crew cab and the 2015 super cab. The pluses of the crew cab include large back seat if grandsons come to visit. 2002 would be easy to sell, and maintenance appears not to be an issue. The 2015 is newer and more fuel efficient, but no need for the longer bed and the back seat is significantly smaller than the 2002 crew cab.

Which would you select?

I was going to say the lexus, but see you took that option away.
I probably wouldn't take any of them, but buy a cheap used vehicle upon getting there.
Or if not, since shipping costs are so high, buy something small, cheap, and light, and ship that.
You can buy some cars for little money, and should cost significantly less to ship than a full size truck.
Buy an old Echo, civic, versa, cruze, or something else like that.

I was going to say the lexus, but see you took that option away.
I probably wouldn't take any of them, but buy a cheap used vehicle upon getting there.
Or if not, since shipping costs are so high, buy something small, cheap, and light, and ship that.
You can buy some cars for little money, and should cost significantly less to ship than a full size truck.
Buy an old Echo, civic, versa, cruze, or something else like that.

I'd still take the Super Duty. It's harder for a Polar Bear to flip a Super Duty vs a Versa, etc...

Back