Reliable/Low Maintenance or Super Fun Vehicle To Purchase

Get yourself a 392 Challenger. I regret selling mine, what a great car.

uV2zIvc.jpg

TjyDcBi.jpg

mzyjG4T.jpg

Fun is subjective.

My family has had a ton of fun in our Xterra - camping, finding backwoods fishing holes, driving on the beach.

I think Corvette's are cool, but will never own one likely. Would never use it enough - no room for the family.
They need to bring Xterra back. Not sure how reliable the current Frontier is nowadays but that would be a close second. And the Armada is a bigger version. No thanks on new Pathfinder minivans trying to disguise itself under stolen identity of a great legend.

Local Toyota and other dealerships are ridiculous in price gouging or I would grab a new base 4x4 Tundra in either CrewMax or regular 4-door to get a longer bed. And 4Runner and Taco are way too much for what they area. And they are boring just like Accord and Civic in my opinion. Reliable but boring so they are not being considered since i already have 2 vehicles.

Last edited:
Budget? lol
Don’t really have a budget but I am not paying over MSRP for new or more than blue book for used. And I only listed 3 used as those aren’t subjected to annoying markup.

And no car max as they want more for 2019 Challenger with 45k miles than MSRP fir 2023/2024 Challenger if same trim. Great show room, inventory, and no pressure.

It’s hard to answer your question because the wide range in vehicle types is too open ended. This isn’t a “recommend sports car because I like twisty roads” thread. You have off roaders, trucks, sports cars, muscle cars, sedans. Without knowing which driving dynamic gets you grinning, it’s hard to suggest the best. What do you mean by fun? The fun of simply owning an interesting toy? What kind of driving experience? Some people epitomize luxury and comfort, others strait line performance. For instance, why wouldn’t a Miata work? Convertible, affordable, and infamously fun. We don’t know what your definition of fun is.

Sorry. Meant to ask folks to point out problems they are aware of from each option.

I love my Jeep. Oddly, being a Chrysler product owner has made me well versed in their quirks and bad designs so I can say they are fun to drive and put a smile on your face when you drive.

Be prepared for repairs down the road. If buying new, it will be a while before anything rears its head to bite. Yes, there’s going to be someone telling you their “nightmare” owning a Dodge, Jeep, etc., but warranty and any extended coverage you buy will ease your mind. All cars need maintenance, even Toyota. 😎.

I’d look at the Challenger with the Pentastar. I’ve rented several during business travel and the V6 puts out enough power to get you in trouble ticket wise. And they have decent mileage. Same for the Ram or Jeep too is that’s your choice.

My 2 cents. 👌

I really like to purchase a vehicle to have as a joyriding, weekend, family vehicle, and possibly other non-ordinary activities. Whenever I look for new vehicles, I always tend to head toward Honda because they are generally very easy to maintain and very reliable with basic maintenance. I have an 2002 Accord and 2012 Fit so I am technically two years past my vehicle purchase interval thanks to Honda’s reliability. But Honda doesn’t have any fun vehicle beside the Type R and I am not a stick driver; I can do if I need to in an emergency but I only learnt enough to say I can but never been a fan. I am listing down a few fun vehicle I always wanted to own but reluctant to. I have a very reliable now in a Fit and the Accord will be back in full duty once I put replace timing belt and water pump so I can confidently take it across country if need to (it is driven daily but mostly local and to the office 40 miles away); thereforex, super reliability is a nice to have rather a must have.

New Options because I can justify the cost as long as it is MSRP or below:
1) Dodge Challenger: Either SXT ( great fuel economy so I can drive it to Florida, Texas, or hit the beach 200 miles away regularly) or Scat Pack (Wonderful engine note, nice body kit from factory, and still respectable highway fuel economy)

2) Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - whichever version with 3.6 liter V6 and automatic. I always like a Jeep to take to Outer Bank. And it has enough space for everyday family use. I can also do limited towing when I get a big ATV, SxS, or little camper)

3) Jeep Gladiator - Probably the bad model Sport S. Everything I want in a Wrangler but with a bed and automatic in much lower cost trim. This satisfies the truck need/want to.

4) Dodge Ram 1500 - Either a Big Horn or Tradesman. I actually prefer the Tradesman because of the front bench seat; it is a southern thing.

5) Dodge Charger SXT - A big burly American muscle that can serve as a comfortable family sedan. I definitely don’t need a V8 here as I can see this puppy going to Florida and back to West Virginia a lot.

Used options as they are expensive for what they are new. Probably want these to be under 50k miles
6) Bimmer 330i - I always like a Bimmer even though I know they can be nightmare for those not very mechanical inclined, with tons of tools and garage space, and access to affordable indi-shop.

7) Porsche 911 - It is a Porsche

Used and probably under 100k miles as these aren’t that bad to maintain.
8) Corvette - Base model with automatic
9) Lexus IS 250/300/350
10) LEXUS LS 460. The LS 430 has timing belt and I try to avoid vehicle with timing belt unless I know the seller and know it has been done on time and within 30k miles.

I know option 8-10 are easy as Lexus are relatively reliable and I can at least change the oil. The ATF on newer Toyota vehicles are a pain but I can manage with minimal fuss. And the Corvette aren’t nightmare to own if properly inspected to not have been owned by an abusive maniac.

Anything I should be worrying about and plan for in each of these choices.

The boring but reliable choice is a new Civic, Accord, Prius, or Tundra. I am neither rich or broke; just frugal and wasn’t the best with finance because I helped people so Incan afford each car listed but I do have other responsibilities outside of car note, which I hadn’t had since 2013. And the house is paid off next year so this will be a midlife purchase.
No Lexus IS-F? V-8 fun, cramped back seat but sporty. I've always wanted to manual swap one.

Local Toyota and other dealerships are ridiculous in price gouging or I would grab a new base 4x4 Tundra in either CrewMax or regular 4-door to get a longer bed. And 4Runner and Taco are way too much for what they area. And they are boring just like Accord and Civic in my opinion. Reliable but boring so they are not being considered since i already have 2 vehicles.
Not only that but Toyota is the only manufacturer that specifically allocates stock to dealerships. All others allow you to custom order what you want, even Lexus dealerships.

No Lexus IS-F? V-8 fun, cramped back seat but sporty. I've always wanted to manual swap one.
I need to check if they make IS-F in automatic. I thought I saw one at carmax in auto thst my kid really like. Of course, if a Lexus is picked it has to be used because the new one is way too expensive but they are reliable enough that a used one isn’t such a headache.

The local Toyota puts 3 new vehicles on the lot and hid the rest behind a fenced lot a few miles down the road. I only found that out because I took a wrong turn about a year ago noticed rows of new Toyota still in the transport wrappers. The only two dealership that has plenty vehicles on the lots are Pohanka Honda and Safford CJRD auto group.

My kid and I had been hitting carmax lately as I can’t stand talking to stealership people. I just want an exact model and then go pick one to buy with price I estimate. Since I don’t need a car unlike 2002 and 2012, I can get up to leave if they need to chat with manager more than 5 mins.

You're all over the map on choices. Being you already have two cars, I'd get a truck.
+1

That is quite a wide range of vehicles. I love my Wrangler, it is the ultimate fun vehicle on a nice day to cruise without the doors and top on and mine is a manual so scratches that manual transmission itch. I also pull a small trailer with it for Home Depot runs. Mine is older and much simpler than the new ones though so I can't really compare the reliability differences.

Maybe you should get a bike lol. I too wanted a weekend joy cruiser something quick grippy and could haul the wife and kid. Somehow I’m heading towards the purchase of a bike. Nothing too serious not even quick a tw200 found my heart

I need to check if they make IS-F in automatic. I thought I saw one at carmax in auto thst my kid really like. Of course, if a Lexus is picked it has to be used because the new one is way too expensive but they are reliable enough that a used one isn’t such a headache.

The local Toyota puts 3 new vehicles on the lot and hid the rest behind a fenced lot a few miles down the road. I only found that out because I took a wrong turn about a year ago noticed rows of new Toyota still in the transport wrappers. The only two dealership that has plenty vehicles on the lots are Pohanka Honda and Safford CJRD auto group.

My kid and I had been hitting carmax lately as I can’t stand talking to stealership people. I just want an exact model and then go pick one to buy with price I estimate. Since I don’t need a car unlike 2002 and 2012, I can get up to leave if they need to chat with manager more than 5 mins.
The IS-F only comes in automatic transmission. Lexus doesn't sell any vehicles with a manual transmission option. The last vehicle they sold with a manual was the IS300/ Toyota Altezza. It's definitely worth a look.

have you considered a used BMW? they're fairly cheap but not that reliable. i would look for an e90 with an n52. they handle good, have enough power, pretty good fuel economy, and the non turbo inline 6 is complicated but not extremely so. and YouTube can show you most all the steps to fix it when it breaks.

my friend bought a 2008 328i a few years ago and so far he's done shocks, struts, a coolant hose, plugs, coils, and a new battery, and a new radiator and core support and condenser because he rear ended a truck and impaled the cooling stack and radiator fan. his is an N51, which meets tighter emissions spec, has an air pump and a special radiator and fan that are supposed to "clean ozone" but the special radiator is like $500 instead of just $150.

this friend also has a lead foot and has probably payed more in speeding tickets and impound/court fees than he has for the car and all the repairs

Out of your list, I would get the Wrangler. I find them reliable, fun and more versatile than a car. I get the V6 with auto and skip the turbo. My 16 has 150000 miles and still runs well. Have only had to do maintenance, no repairs yet. The new ones have e/ torque and in the past the battery has been problematic and pricey to replace. I’ll let you research that issue.

The IS-F only comes in automatic transmission. Lexus doesn't sell any vehicles with a manual transmission option. The last vehicle they sold with a manual was the IS300/ Toyota Altezza. It's definitely worth a look.
Then we definitely sat in two at Carmax a few times. Back in 2020, used Lexus was 50% of original MSRP after 6-7 years and about 60k-75k miles. There were instances where a used Camry was almost the same price as a used GS and ES if they were both 7+ years and similar miles. I guess people just worry about higher cost of used luxury vehicles period. I really hope those days come back.

Back