Which vehicle would you take if you could only bring one vehicle, and have to leave (sell) the vehicle when you depart for good?

Personally, I would not even think about moving to Alaska. Iowa winters are bad enough for me!

But given the choice, 2015 would be my pick.

Have you told Mrs. GON you're taking her to the end of the world?

What will you do with your trailer fleet while you're at the North Pole?
If this happens to pan out, I will have to rent a small warehouse in a.very dry clin
I am going with the 2015. I like a long bed and how often do you have people in the back seat?
If the Grandsons come to visit for the summer would be scenario that would make the backseat a benefit.

The 2002 crew cab for it's larger cab, easy service/maintenance, easy resale (because it is what the locals buy and use), and potential profit.
A lot of this style Super Duty in use on this area.

If people leave behind their vehicles in this remote location, maybe there are some for sale at the local used car lot?

Sounds like an exciting opportunity. Are you married? If so, is your wife onboard moving to such a remote locale? It's not for me at this stage in my life.
My trucks are a known quantity. I have full confidence my trucks could depart today from Seattle to Miami towing 10k enclosed trailers to Miami, and not have any mechanical issues. Not many 10-20 year old trucks in remote locations likely as well maintained.

What's more demanding; the task you need the vehicle for or the environment?
Is it such a remote and harsh location that parts support would be interrupted?
Is fuel trucked in? Double handled fuel has a higher likelihood of being contaminated....so bring fuel filters.
Is it such a remote and harsh environment that you revised your will? (just askin')

Forgive me for finding humor in considering resale value for a vehicle which is apparently going to be used inside an active volcano.
Ha-ha, bring your flame suit! (I'm so clever)

Wait a minute. If there are people there with money to buy your sloughed-off vehicle, it can't be that harsh.
Are there roads there?
Are cigarette machines illegal there yet? (by many measures, a civilizations' tipping point)

1) A harsh desert in the US or Mexico? 2) A far away place in darkest Canada? 3) On one of the Aleutian Islands?
Very good point on the fuel. No, the fuel is not trucked in. It is barged in during ice melts. The entire area runs exclusively on fossil fuels.

The money would have to overwhelming for a situation like that.

Since that's the case, you'll be able to buy whatever you want when your done there.

So my answer is take the car or truck you want to drive when you are up there. If its your "new" 2019, then go for it. Life is too short.
The money is above average, but not overwhelming good.

Which one has a block heater?
I think the 2015 may have a block heater- I will have to go check. The 2002 does not have the factory block heater.

I have driven the 2015 under 800 miles since its rebuild last Christmas. I actually had a coil failure/ misfire on the 2015. Most of my coil failures seem to occur on vehicles after sitting for extended periods of time. Not sure if it is a coincidence.

First Arkansas, then Alaska! Do you like to snowmobile? Icefish? Hopefully they have a sport complex? I guy I knew worked in a small fly-in community and back then for winter hobbies, it was snowmobiling and ice fishing(and moderate drinking), or just drinking...
The next place he went up north was a dry community as he felt he was going to be an alcoholic otherwise...
Alcoholism is a major risk at locations of this nature.

The Lexus, which is basically a Toyota Landcruiser and has plenty of aftermarket support across the globe.
Agree, except if the local mechanic appears to get a lot of Super Duty repairs, not sure he gets like quantities of Landcruisers/ GX 470. If this was in east Africa, I would without question go with the GX 470.

Have you told Mrs. GON you're taking her to the end of the world?

What will you do with your trailer fleet while you're at the North Pole?
We talked about it on the phone last night. This all comes down to housing costs. Although real estate sales are way down, real estate in many areas, to include areas we are targeting are at all-time highs. Housing is driving many courses of action. A peer just sold his really nice nearly new single family home in Wilmington, NC. Home was under contract the day he listed it. He got into a issue with the neighbors' over their dog. The neighbors kept the dog out all day, and he could spend a second in the backyard without the dog barking at him non-stop. HOA community to bat, and the neighbor is Chairperson of the HOA. His modest home sold for over $800k USD. I don't want to spend that type of money and be in a single-family home so tight I can hear the next-door neighbor flush their toilet.

I will need to rent a small warehouse in a dry climate to keep stuff while doing this job (hypothetical). With prices in Arizona being sky high, likely I would target the El Paso area for a 2,000 SQ FT warehouse- again all hypothetical.

Last edited:
We talked about it on the phone last night. This all comes down to housing costs. Although real estate sales are way down, real estate in many areas, to include areas we are targeting are at all-time highs. Housing is driving many courses of action. A peer just sold his really nice nearly new single family home in Wilmington, NC. Home was under contract the day he listed it. He got into a issue with the neighbors' over their dog. The neighbors kept the dog out all day, and he could spend a second in the backyard without the dog barking at him non-stop. HOA community to bat, and the neighbor is Chairperson of the HOA. His modest home sold for over $800k USD. I don't want to spend that type of money and be in a single-family home so tight I can hear the next-door neighbor flush their toilet.

I will need to rent a small warehouse in a dry climate to keep stuff while doing this job (hypothetical). With prices in Arizona being sky high, likely I would target the El Paso area for a 2,000 SQ FT warehouse- again all hypothetical.
My dad lives in the middle of nowhere. Pretty cheap where he is I think, look around Bouse, AZ.

Heck, he’s got 13 acres. You put up cheap building and store stuff for free if he gets the building when you’re done :ROFLMAO:

If you bring a diesel, expect it to run from December through March without shutting down(briefly for oil changes but that's all). Block heaters do very little at -40 without the help of pan heaters and battery blankets. Sachs Harbour?

Which one has the best heater and heater core? I would go newer just based on that. 2015 or 2019 for me.

Reactions: GON
Back