Timed (not live) Salvage auction 2019 FORD SUPER DUTY F-350 DRW

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
IAAI occasionally changes a vehicle programmed for a live auction to a timed auction. I have yet to understand why this is being done.

I am looking to update my very tiny fleet of Super Dutys, so this came on my radar. Owned by Texas Farm Bureau. I am the high bidder, and my max bid is 20250. In no way do I expect to be anywhere close to being the winning bidder. Auction closes in 12 hours.

36629884_1_I.jpeg
36629884_2_I.jpeg
36629884_3_I.jpeg
36629884_4_I.jpeg
36629884_5_I.jpeg
36629884_6_I.jpeg
36629884_7_I.jpeg
36629884_8_I.jpeg
36629884_10_I.jpeg

Any late model diesel out of warranty is going to be a money pit. Fuel injectors, injection pump, turbos...bust out another thousand or three.
Most any vehicle repair today if not DIY is bust out another thousand or three. Many dealers in states like Washington are charging above MSRP for parts, and I am suspecting they may now be "marking up" book labor hours.

Diesel parts prices are still a lot more. One diesel injector $400 vs. gas injector $50. Diesel injection pump $1500 vs. gas fuel pump $200. Diesel turbo $1500 and some engines have two vs. gas engine with none.

Diesel parts prices are still a lot more. One diesel injector $400 vs. gas injector $50. Diesel injection pump $1500 vs. gas fuel pump $200. Diesel turbo $1500 and some engines have two vs. gas engine with none.
I have never owned a diesel, and more likely than not will not own the vehicle in this thread, but I am prepared to get a big lesson on why not to buy a diesel if I happen to buy a diesel.

Did it say in the sales description, it needed engine work with 89 k on the clock?. Look like just a bunch of body work , which in of itself can cost a fortune. I'm thinking a timed auction, gives the vehicle more exposure time in hopes of more people seeing it, to generate more interest. In a live auction you have only whoever showed up to bid, or who phones in their bid. Is this a Insurance auction, or a regular dealer auction?.,,

Did it say in the sales description, it needed engine work with 89 k on the clock?. Look like just a bunch of body work , which in of itself can cost a fortune. I'm thinking a timed auction, gives the vehicle more exposure time in hopes of more people seeing it, to generate more interest. In a live auction you have only whoever showed up to bid, or who phones in their bid. Is this a Insurance auction, or a regular dealer auction?.,,
Salvage auction. Truck is owened by Texas Farm Bureau insurance. Most of the 89k miles happened in the last 12 months. No knowledge of mechanical issues. Truck has a gooseneck, so always possible truck was used as a hotshot in the past year, or hauling livestock. And hard to find anyone harder in a truck than a livestock hauler.

If anyone was curious how the timed auction went:

-I raised my bid to $23,250

-highest bid was $26,300 but did not meet reserve- no sale

- Truck was offered on buy it now for $29,000 and sold moments after being put up on BIN

- with fees, Buyer has to pay IAAI $31,393 USD. If one pays with other methods such as credit card or paypal, add another five percent to that total.

A non sub prime lender that will lends on salvage vehicles lists the max lending value on this truck at $30,020 USD. I usually try and price my max pay price at 40 percent what a non sub prime lender will lend on a salvage vehicle.

If one could inspect this vehicle and was local, it might still have been a ok buy at $31,000. In my case, I could not do a pre purchase inspection, and the transport cost from Texas to Seattle likely would have been in the $2500 plus range.

Lots of diesel pick ups in my line of work. Not uncommon for the fuel pump to grenade sending debris all through the system requiring the whole fuel system to need replaced. At a shop this can cost over $10k.

The aftermarket has “ disaster prevention kits” which is basically just a filter right after the pump to catch debris if this happens, pretty rare to find a truck with such a kit installed.

I used to love my diesel pick ups. They were simple, easy to work on and lasted forever with easy maintenance. You could idle them for days on end and they didn’t care. Diesel was cheaper than gas.

Now the complete opposite is true and my last few 1 ton trucks have been gas motors because of it.

I have never owned a diesel, and more likely than not will not own the vehicle in this thread, but I am prepared to get a big lesson on why not to buy a diesel if I happen to buy a diesel.
Best to only buy a diesel if really needed for pulling heavy trailers and such.

Maybe something will come up that has the 7.3, seems like a great towing engine and very simple.

If you do get one I would say avoid the 2020 model, had a few bugs

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Maybe something will come up that has the 7.3, seems like a great towing engine and very simple.

If you do get one I would say avoid the 2020 model, had a few bugs
Can you elaborate on which bugs the 2020s had? Only thing that I know of is the front crank seal leaking.

Can you elaborate on which bugs the 2020s had? Only thing that I know of is the front crank seal leaking.
I'm no expert but I believe some transmission issues and a handful of bad motors due to valve issues if I recall correctly (not 100% sure on that). I'm sure by and large the 2020s are fine, but it was the first year for that motor.

I'm no expert but I believe some transmission issues and a handful of bad motors due to valve issues if I recall correctly (not 100% sure on that). I'm sure by and large the 2020s are fine, but it was the first year for that motor.
I’ve been following them quite a bit and haven’t heard anything yet about valves. Some rockers getting chewed up but still pretty rare. Bad plug wires causing miss fires but again, pretty rare.

I’ve been following them quite a bit and haven’t heard anything yet about valves. Some rockers getting chewed up but still pretty rare. Bad plug wires causing miss fires but again, pretty rare.
Yes rockers you are right! Good to hear things are rare on them. If I was on the market it would be the Godzilla for sure

Lots of diesel pick ups in my line of work. Not uncommon for the fuel pump to grenade sending debris all through the system requiring the whole fuel system to need replaced. At a shop this can cost over $10k.

The aftermarket has “ disaster prevention kits” which is basically just a filter right after the pump to catch debris if this happens, pretty rare to find a truck with such a kit installed.

I used to love my diesel pick ups. They were simple, easy to work on and lasted forever with easy maintenance. You could idle them for days on end and they didn’t care. Diesel was cheaper than gas.

Now the complete opposite is true and my last few 1 ton trucks have been gas motors because of it.
A friend of mine just had this happen to his 2013 Superduty and the cost was going to be $8-10K to fix. He decided to get rid of it and got a 2019 Ram 3500 with the 6.4L gas engine. He wanted another Ford but no one had anything used that he was willing to get and the cost of a new one was too much.

Back