Seeking any/ all comments on this salvage fifth wheel travel trailer

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Below please find a link to a travel trailer that goes to auction tomorrow. I am the current high bidder at $7525, with my max bid of $7550. I don't expect my high bid to stand. The trailer has a buy it now of $12,500. The trailer went to auction a week ago, reserve was not met.

I am likely to retire from my current job in the next nine +/- months, and we don't have a place to live. This is simply being looked at as backup living quarters until something permanent can be secured.

The damage centers on the roof, yet very little can I figure out about the damage.

Attachments

• 37291277_1_I.jpeg
    37291277_1_I.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 37291277_2_I.jpeg
    37291277_2_I.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 37291277_3_I.jpeg
    37291277_3_I.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 37291277_4_I.jpeg
    37291277_4_I.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 37291277_5_I.jpeg
    37291277_5_I.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 37291277_6_I.jpeg
    37291277_6_I.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 37291277_7_I.jpeg
    37291277_7_I.jpeg
    37.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 37291277_8_I.jpeg
    37291277_8_I.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 37291277_9_I.jpeg
    37291277_9_I.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 37291277_10_I.jpeg
    37291277_10_I.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 43
Also I guess it would depend on how much you want to spend over all. A new roof can be pricey. It isn't super old so that helps.

Reactions: GON
I wouldn't pay 12k for it... I'm assuming that is AC unit that was removed.. the photo with the wires hanging out.

Honestly it is going to be a buyers market soon... so you are coming into a good time to buy a used RV and there are going to be plenty of them on the market soon.

Everywhere I travel the RV dealer parking lots are full and after the last 3 years of a hi buying cycle the replacement cycle is going to be low.. factor in high interest rates and the realization you can shop for these and I bet you could do better..

only things you need to know with RV's is to check the roof for leaks and soft spots, the sidewalls for delamination and the frame and springs for cracks... if all that stuff is good anything else is repairable...

Also I guess it would depend on how much you want to spend over all. A new roof can be pricey. It isn't super old so that helps.
I am of the point if I can't fix it myself- I don't want it (or anything). I have lost confidence in any service/ repair being performed by someone outside of myself. A professional like @clinebarger is getting near impossible to locate.

I took the 2019 f350 to get a emission hose replaced under warranty at a local Ford dealer last week. The service department had zero professional appearance/ image. I received a call from the service writer with a huge hustle--- I directed them to put the truck back on the lot, do nothing, I will do the warranty repair myself. I asked myself after the fact, what was I thinking to let a Seattle area Ford dealer work on my truck, regardless that it was under warranty- for something I could fix myself with a $120 part and one hour time.

Last edited:
hey GON, if you are serious about a RV my suggestion is you look at dozens if not hundreds of them, whether at RV dealers or RV shows...
I've owned five of them, 3 of which are fifth wheels... I also grew up doing the RV thing with my parents. I also know most people go thru 3 or 4 of them before they find what they like...

First time buyer may not realize there are things they dont like or can do without..

for instance want a bed with a real mattress that I can walk around while standing so the bed can be made.
need plenty of storage
must be able to open the refrigerator with the slides in
must be able to get to the bathroom with the slides in.
must be able to sit up in bed and not hit my head.
I want theatre seating..
if hot climate use is there, you want dual AC or even Triple..

etc etc etc..

hey GON, if you are serious about a RV my suggestion is you look at dozens if not hundreds of them, whether at RV dealers or RV shows...
I've owned five of them, 3 of which are fifth wheels... I also grew up doing the RV thing with my parents. I also know most people go thru 3 or 4 of them before they find what they like...

First time buyer may not realize there are things they dont like or can do without..

for instance want a bed with a real mattress that I can walk around while standing so the bed can be made.
need plenty of storage
must be able to open the refrigerator with the slides in
must be able to get to the bathroom with the slides in.
must be able to sit up in bed and not hit my head.
I want theatre seating..
if hot climate use is there, you want dual AC or even Triple..

etc etc etc..
MSCH,

Thanks- we know zero about RVs. Thanks for bringing up many of the points, especially about making the bed. My Wife goes crazy over things like how a bed is made---if I make the bed she will remake it......

I thought if I could snagg a fifth wheel at auction, it would be a backup plan for a place to live during the retirement/ new job search. My plan may not be so feasible.

MSCH is spot on with there being an existing and even higher upcoming glut of towables on the market. Elkhart over produced when the pandemic market was hot, the dealers are stuffed to the gills with them. Then many people who tried RV's during the pandemic found out it wasn't what they thought and/or they aren't using it enough. Prices have been dropping for the better part of a year and will continue as the inventory sits and interest rates rise.

Elkhart is still building motorized units but the towable lines have been shut down for some time now.

Last edited:
My only comment is the fumes (off gassing) of the particle board cabinets is not healthy. Take that into consideration.

There are lots of cheaply made RV's out there. The above mentioned from Elkhart for example. You can get well built RV's, but you definitely pay for them. Our esteemed leader @wwillson had one built by the same company which built ours, so he can likely give you a perspective on this too.

We recently sold our 5th wheel, as I felt a major decline in value is coming.

MSCH,

Thanks- we know zero about RVs. Thanks for bringing up many of the points, especially about making the bed. My Wife goes crazy over things like how a bed is made---if I make the bed she will remake it......

I thought if I could snagg a fifth wheel at auction, it would be a backup plan for a place to live during the retirement/ new job search. My plan may not be so feasible.
my wife came up with those ideas... like I said I am on my 3rd fiver... for instance you have the right truck.. I suggest you go window shopping.. gotta be RV shows and dealers in the area you live.. that is a good place to start..

Wear a gas mask when opening the fridge. Wrote a total loss claim on a 5th wheel that was sitting for a while and had to check out the fridge model. I realized my error as I was opening the door, man what a stench!

Gon, I am in the process of buying some new tires for my Bighorn... Load range G... so 200 bucks or so each..
have wheels off the trailer now and discovered a broken spring shackle on the More Ryd suspension.
RVing means money.
IMG_0413.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Wear a gas mask when opening the fridge. Wrote a total loss claim on a 5th wheel that was sitting for a while and had to check out the fridge model. I realized my error as I was opening the door, man what a stench!
yeah, amazing how many people dont know to keep the fridge doors propped open with a towel..

I had a total loss on my previous fifth wheel.. best thing ever happened to it was a forest fire.. did just enough damage to total it but not so much damage they couldn't tow it away.

100_0053.JPG

Last edited:
Alot of risk without inspecting in person beforehand.

I think you would have better luck on FB Marketplace / CL and search for "divorce sale" or "lost my job" ;)

Back