Speculate what happened to this trailer ramp door (salvage)?

New never used 2022 16' Wells Cargo trailer is $12895 at a dealer in Eugene, OR right now. MSRP was $15295. I would speculate that the reserve is $4K or more. BIN price of $9999 seems very high compared to purchasing new if the 16" is equivalent to this one.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Well I was the high bidder on this trailer earlier this morning. Got into a bidding war with a buyer from MN.

My high/ winning bid was $3,000 USD. With fess $3504. Not sure why the fees were so low- maybe something to do with the Seller Emkay. Emkay had their own nationwide auction lane this morning, mostly Ford cargo vans and Ford fleet trucks.

To my surprise, Emkay accepted my high bid without a counter offer. Emkay has the trailer at a Buy It Now of $9900 USD, no way did I expect Emkay to not counter my high bid, but Emkay didn't.

No idea what I bought, but google searches suggest this Wells Cargo has numerous upgrades over Wells Cargo base trailers to include undercoating. We shall see- and no idea status of back door, other than Seller chose to send the trailer to auction rather than repair the trailer.

Thanks to @mrsilv04 for identifying the Seller was a fleet lessor- something I missed and clearly plays a role in trying to figure out why this trailer was not repaired.

Now to figure out if I can get the trailer from RICE, MN, 56367 to Sioux Falls, SD.

from the photos, worst case there is axle or frame damage, which in of itself isnt a big deal. would have expected more damage if that was the case anyway. good luck with the recon.

Reactions: GON
from the photos, worst case there is axle or frame damage, which in of itself isnt a big deal. would have expected more damage if that was the case anyway. good luck with the recon.
I am in need of one or two more trailers. Trailers seem to have a significant "Sellers" market. I am bummed I have to go 1700 (3500 round trip) miles and prepay to buy a used trailer without personally inspecting. The used trailers I have been seeing on FB, and CL within 500 miles of me all appear significantly abused, no maintenance, and sky high priced.

In most cases in today's Pacific Northwest market, buying new seems much smarter than buying used. I seem to prefer buying from auction this time, the a Pacific Northwest seller who "knows what I got:.

If anyone is bored and has some time to kill, this is pretty good video discussing the selling points of the Wells Cargo HS Wagon trailers:

Hotshot driver picked up the trailer earlier this morning.

Driver wasn't happy with the rear door off. When I posted the trailer for transport the information on the trailer and pictures were provided, but somehow missed. Sounded like he was going to back out of the transport, so I offered him an additional $300 USD cash at delivery. He is also pickup up a 1981 XS1100 salvage bike for me. I am meeting him in Spokane tomorrow night to grab the trailer.

I don't blame the driver, the comments sections of the agreement are hidden and hard to see. The drive might have caught the trailer condition from the pictures.

Driver first stated the rear door had severe rust, then later stated the hinges of the rear door (on the door side) were cut off with a torch. I went to the Wells Cargo website to see if I could buy the hinges, the site had numerous parts for sale but not the hinges.

So now the mystery is- why did the rear door hinges get cut with a torch? The door is super heavy, and this model is a HD model. I am sure many BITOGERS can, but I can't think of a single reason to torch the bottom rear door hinges. Seems numerous other methods to get5 into the trailer than removing the hinges.

Here are the pictures from the transporter:
IMG_5482.jpg
IMG_5485.jpg
IMG_5486.jpg
IMG_5484.jpg

Trailer arrived last night. Super well built trailer, best coupler I have ever seen. Now for the challenge.

It appears the rear ramp door hinges seized from rust/corrosion. It appears someone cut the hinges as a way to get the rear door open.

First thing this morning I went to the only trailer repair shop I could find in my area. Really nice guy, he said he generally works in semi trailers, only does cargo trailers if he is slow. He started the only other trailer shop in the area closed down during COVID.

He suggested I find the replacement hinges. The trailer is made by American cargo, the USA biggest cargo trailer manufacturer. They have a call in parts number and a email parts number.

I am hopeful they can supply the hinges as they appear to be able to cross reference the vin and an of the trailer. I left a voice mail for parts and also sent a email.

Two mega challenges, finding a welder that can remove the cut hinges, and weld in the replacement hinges. The other issue is the ramp door. Mega heavy and awkward, how the heck to move and support the ramp door during the repair process.

-1187727606047549310.jpg
-8575793047986346617.jpg
637626568256611571.jpg
5307732573200082919.jpg
-3659689490944824673.jpg
2232844129496669674.jpg
7843365056567525826.jpg

Trailer arrived last night. Super well built trailer, best coupler I have ever seen. Now for the challenge.
Two mega challenges, finding a welder that can remove the cut hinges, and weld in the replacement hinges. The other issue is the ramp door. Mega heavy and awkward, how the heck to move and support the ramp door during the repair process.
Since you are currently near Bremerton, consider posting an online ad (e.g., Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.) for a credentialed welder who works at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. PSNS has a very talented workforce of trades workers who can perform welding to Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program quality standards. Whether you can find a welder or pipe fitter with the equipment willing to do the job outside of work is a crapshoot, but no harm in trying.

Gee...a little grease/oil on those hinges would have prevented that scenario.

Found a local trailer retailer and trailer manufacturer to reinstall the door. Bigger facility, really nice people. But........

Recieved a call the trailer was ready. Picked the trailer up without inspection as it was closing time at the trailer shop. Went home and open the rear ramp door, and I was almost crushed. The shop didn't install the rear door cables. The door appears to be well over 500 lbs, and it came flying down with zero cables installed. Could have been a much worse situation.

I will install the trailer cables myself. Just another example of why we should always consider doing work ourselves- times have changed. I have no idea how this trailer could have been released to me without the cables installed- how the heck did they test their work? I guess they didn't test their work........

The bill was $1100 to install the door, which I thought was fair. But wow on the lack of doing the job to completion.

Scope of work and communication-that was the issue....

Last edited:
Back