Possible salvage award, 2010 ML 350

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Really liked the 2010 ML 350 I am working on. Thought the quality of the vehicle was very high.

In Eugene, OR IAAI had a like 2010 go on the block this morning.Three differences, this vehicle has 125k miles (last one had 100k), this vehicle has a black interior (last one had a tan interior), and this one had lot of its maintenance at independent shops (last one was a MB dealer). Like the other one, this is also a California owned MB for much of its life.

I have to assume undercarriage damage, yet don't see it. i see two airbags blown, and a croaked rim. At a minimum this car will need:
Passenger front side airbag
Passenger rear side airbag
clockspring
airbag control module
rim
tire

The good news- a Portland pick a part just had a car with a black interior come in to its inventory. I speculate I can pull all these parts on the way home from picking up this vehicle.

I was the high bidder at $1650. The losing bidder was from Antioch, TN, who is a mega buyer of salvage vehicles, so I think I am priced right if the Antioch bidder dropped out at $1600, and he has to transport to TN. I speculate he buys enough to contract out a nine unit car hauler, so his cost per vehicle may not be so bad.

Progressive insurance in the Seller, and I did not meet the reserve price, so we shall see. I likely will not counter bid if offered.

36441100_1_I.jpeg
36441100_2_I.jpeg
36441100_3_I.jpeg
36441100_4_I.jpeg
36441100_5_I.jpeg
36441100_6_I.jpeg
36441100_7_I.jpeg
36441100_8_I.jpeg
36441100_10_I.jpeg

Last edited:
Just received the news- not surprised as Progressive was the Seller.

Progressive claims the following:
  • Actual Cash Value: $10,894 USD
  • Estimated Repair Cost: $10,820 USD
So I though my bid might have been ok- here was the response (indirectly from Progressive):
hank you for bidding at IAA.

While you were the highest bidder on the vehicle listed below, your high bid did not meet the reserve price. The seller declined your high bid.

Vehicle: MERCEDES-BENZ/M-CLASS/2010
Your Bid Amount: $1650.00

This vehicle has been removed from your account. No further action is required.

IAA

No signs of a crash. Has body been repaired? Airbags stolen?
My guess (wild guess) is the vehicle slid into a median from the passenger side at a higher speed. Buy only a guess. RhondaHonda might chime in- he has a keen eye for these things.

What is next for that ML 350 that did not make the reserve? i.e. it sounds like the market has spoken as to its value and Progressive sure doesn't want to keep it. Will that VIN reappear at a later date in another auction market?

What is next for that ML 350 that did not make the reserve? i.e. it sounds like the market has spoken as to its value and Progressive sure doesn't want to keep it. Will that VIN reappear at a later date in another auction market?
TheML350 I purchased last week had a like situation with USAA the week before I purchased. High bid was OOA $1500, reserve was $3100 (only found this out as I was the high bidder). The next week, I was high bidder again at $1550, USAA countered at $1700, and I purchased at $1700 before fees.

This vehicle will likely be a Buy It Now (BIN) at 3am tomorrow morning, at the reserve price. And will be at auction next Monday if not sold at the BIN price.

Issuee with Progressive, unlike many other insurance firms, is they are extremely aggressive in trying to get every penny on both sides of a transaction. They will short pay on a large scale the settlement if they can get away with it, and they will push at auction to squeeze every last drop of juice from a lemon. USAA is similar on the auction end.

He was fixing it for the daughter of a friend of his. But it sounds like GON wants one for himself.
I really was amazed at how well built these little SUVs are. In this model (w164), one only wants a 2010/2011. All the bugs were worked out by 2010. 2012 strted a new generation of MLs. I don't thinka 2010/2011 in my neigboorhood in this condition is very common, so decided to "roll the dice", without any need for the vehicle. My Daugher in Law need a car, I will find it a nice home if I win it.

GON,

rocker covers There is a set of "rocker covers" for sale on Craigslist down in Florida for $100. They're from a 2015 so I don't know they'll fit your 2010.

Reactions: GON
I was taking a look around Craigslist and spotted this 2007 ML 350 with 296,000 miles. Based on this one it looks like they hold up pretty good!

Reactions: GON
Just a fyi, this 2010 ml 350 that needs two to four airbags, clockspring, airbag control module, tire, rim, possible undercarriage damage sold late last night at buy it now for $3,000. It was to go at auction today and current high pre bid was $1800.

At $3,000 USD, with fees out the auction door at about $4,000.

Back