Salvage auction purchase, 2010 Mercedes ML 350

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
A friend wanted a SUV for his Daughter in high school. I tried to shift her into a sedan to save money, but was told only a SUV.

I was the high bidder last week on this 2010 MB ML 350 at $1575, but did not meet the reserve, Seller was USAA. USAA did not offer me a counter offer, but instead listed this MB for a buy it now of $3100. This MB went back on the auction block today. My high bid again was $1575 which won, but did not meet reserve. USAA countered with $1700. I took the counter. My friend wanted to do the buy it now at $3100, I suggested he sit tight. Car is listed as a stolen recovery- one can't steal a late model MB without a key.

I was able to look at this SUV twice. No signs of any power whatsoever. I hooked up a jump pack, but still no signs of power. I am hoping to get lucky line Clinebarger did on the Chevy he bought, and have the issue be a main fuse. We shall see. I am estimating about 110k miles. The interior had a lot of drug [paraphilia, but looked clean. Nothing alerted me under the hood.

My biggest concern is the rear license plate. It is of a used car dealer. That is a very big worry. If there was no plate, I would have felt much better about the "unknown". Lots of smart guys buying salvage vehicles, so why no one else bit on this MB is also a flag. I am working a very full schedule of the next few days, so may not be able to pick this one up until next week (storage fees).

I saw a 2011 of this car (repo) with 175k miles on it sell as a buy it now at Las Vegas this week for $2575, and a 2012 of this model that had two airbags deploy, needed at a minimum a new hood, right fender, and right headlight sold at auction in Seattle this morning for $5525. So no idea if I can get this running, but if I can the price seems ok.

36199080_1_I.jpeg
36199080_2_I.jpeg
36199080_3_I.jpeg
36199080_4_I.jpeg
36199080_5_I.jpeg
36199080_6_I.jpeg
36199080_7_I.jpeg
36199080_8_I.jpeg
36199080_10_I.jpeg

Last edited:
$1700? That's all? Great deal and glad you waited on it!
Yes, with fees about $2400. $70 for the Uhaul to get her home, cost of parts, and the cost of inspection to get a rebuilt title. And finally transport to Arkansas..... That is assuming the problem is a blown main fuse...... and not a "stolen to hide a major drivetrain issue".

A friend wanted a SUV for his Daughter in high school. I tried to shift her into a sedan to save money, but was told only a SUV.
When they said "SUV", I wonder if they were thinking CR-V, RAV4, Escape, etc instead of an M-B. It is sharp looking though and I can't imagine any teenager that wouldn't love to have an M-B.

My kids grew up riding around in one of these. Our was a 2007 I think. It was very reliable for the 6ish years we had it. Sold it because my wife wanted something a little bigger at the time.

Reactions: GON
I look at a lot of carfax weekly, forgot the particulars on this MB so went and took a second look.

Three fender benders, all appear minor

Car spent the first half of its life in San Francisco, second half in Seattle

Sold as a CPO (first time). Sold as CPO after the first two accidents. Three total owners, last owner owned under 18 months before report as stolen.

Car had no less than two MB dealer performed transmission flushes.........

So what do you do with these vehicles if they turn out to be trash??
Good question. Of note, 99 percent of the vehicles I look at don't match consideration for purchase. So it takes looking at 100 vehicles in hopes of finding one worth researching. And of that one percent worth researching, very few of those end up being a match for placing a bid on.

I have only had one "bomb", and that was a week ago. The vehicle had a bad axle and I flew out to pick it up without knowing it. I didn't like the vehicle, so decided to sell it on the spot to a local repair shop and flew back home. If the car was a local buy, I would have fixed it, but at that distance, the solution for me was to move on.

For this MB, if there is a flaw that makes it not a match for restoration, I will find a like MB that has front end damage, very low miles, and a flawless maintenance history. Then I will swap front ends. On a MB, swapping front ends are typically very easy.

There is risk in many things, and buying cars of this nature definetly is a higher risk than many other hobbies. But I enjoy doing this for family, friends, and myself.

Looks like it has Costco tires on it.
I can't remember the tires but they were not name brand. Name brand tires (Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone) are a sign of a vehicle the owner was willing to spend money to maintain. Lack of those big name tires is a sign of an owner who may have not wanted to spend big on car maintenance.

You’ve proven me wrong on these cheap Mercedes before so I hope you do it again. The running board, quarter damage and maybe a bad blend on the passenger side doors is all that sticks out. The cheap tires may just be a product of the used car lot. The interior actually looks pretty good and is probably worth what you paid once cleaned up. Keep us posted. Looks like a very nice cheap car if it only needs something simple.

You’ve proven me wrong on these cheap Mercedes before so I hope you do it again. The running board, quarter damage and maybe a bad blend on the passenger side doors is all that sticks out. The cheap tires may just be a product of the used car lot. The interior actually looks pretty good and is probably worth what you paid once cleaned up. Keep us posted. Looks like a very nice cheap car if it only needs something simple.
Rh, I didn't want to go MB. I wanted a nice little sedan for the high school student. But my friend send his daughter wanted a suv, and he prefers a mb for her. He loved his daughter and shares how awesome she is. So I will do my very best to get this suv " bullet proof" for a really nice high school student. I also understand and have shared expectation management.

I did preview the car and the interior was well above average. The maintenance records are promising. So either in for a very nice win, or a really big letdown.

And most of all, I very much appreciate you assessment on these vehicles,it is wonderful to get impartial eyes providing feedback.

Good question. Of note, 99 percent of the vehicles I look at don't match consideration for purchase. So it takes looking at 100 vehicles in hopes of finding one worth researching. And of that one percent worth researching, very few of those end up being a match for placing a bid on.

I have only had one "bomb", and that was a week ago. The vehicle had a bad axle and I flew out to pick it up without knowing it. I didn't like the vehicle, so decided to sell it on the spot to a local repair shop and flew back home. If the car was a local buy, I would have fixed it, but at that distance, the solution for me was to move on.

For this MB, if there is a flaw that makes it not a match for restoration, I will find a like MB that has front end damage, very low miles, and a flawless maintenance history. Then I will swap front ends. On a MB, swapping front ends are typically very easy.

There is risk in many things, and buying cars of this nature definetly is a higher risk than many other hobbies. But I enjoy doing this for family, friends, and myself.
By that year the 3.5 engine problems had been worked out. Should be a good engine if it’s had decent service.

Reactions: GON
Rh, a supplemental comment. I have never ever proven you wrong. You brought up issues/concerns that were very valid and rational. Sometimes it is beneficial to be more lucky than good.

Back