Looking for comments on this enclosed gooseneck trailer (salvage hail)

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Came across a salvage (reported hail) enclosed gooseneck trailer at Copart. Enclosed goosenecks can be rare to come across. Most enclosed trailers are tow behind.

Would appreciate any/ all comments on what is concerning (or positive) on this trailer that is at Copart in Montana. Unlike IAAI, Copart does not list the identity of the Seller. I am always cautious will hail listed salvage vehicles
, where the hail damage distracts from the real issues.

80732593_Image_1.jpg
80732593_Image_2.jpg
80732593_Image_3.jpg
80732593_Image_4.jpg
80732593_Image_5.jpg
80732593_Image_6.jpg
80732593_Image_7.jpg
80732593_Image_8.jpg
80732593_Image_9.jpg
80732593_Image_10.jpg

Just a general comment: Painting a roof black goes against all common sense. Will only help to make it hotter inside in the summer.
Thanks for the comment- as I likely will end up in a southwestern state and the black roof will be cooking in the sun...

Big bass speakers mounted on the wall? What do you think this trailer did in its past life?
Not sure- looks like it has mounted cots (beds). Unless something comes up which I am missing (there almost always is- I am not trailer saavy), I think I will bid $7200, which I think this trailer will sell for very low five figures, so I won't be the winner. Being in Montana may limit the buyer pool.

Better check if RV parks would allow it first.

Could have been a low budget race team.
AZJ, I would just want the trailer for moving and storing household goods while we look for a home to buy. @mrsilv04 comment about the roof being black is a concern, as the trailer could end up in Arizona for the summer months. Cook/ melt the inside contents.

I was thinking the same thing. 5000# of payload in a gooseneck hauler? Seems awful low.
And if you get close to that those tires will be unhappy, regardless of what the sidewalls say.

If running LR E, get LTs. Or try to find quality STs in LR F or G

Gents,

Thanks for discovering the cargo weight limit seems low for a 12,000 LBS trailer. I missed that. Would love to weight the trailer empty. I wonder how much weight the trailer has in interior options.

Although a salvage trailer, the desire is to not make the trailer look off if feasible. I think a white roof may bring the weird look to the trailer. When I was in high school and made my 1973 Chevy Elcamino that was beige, into a two-tone car making the lower half brown, with spray paint cans- I learned a good lesson on not wanting to do wacky painting on vehicles. I do understand we are talking about the roof, and there may be so methods to paint the roof white without standing out,,,,,

I am going to say that hauled a racecar. Figure the WS6 is 3600 lbs. full of fluids. You could still put another 1400 lbs. in there and the WS6 is heavy. If you had a 3000lbs racecar that thing would work decent.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Tire label and axle ratings don't match up. With dual 6k axles, a limit of 5k payload makes no sense. Also not really seeing any signs of hail damage enough to total out a 2017 enclosed gooseneck, at least on the pictures posted on the site. Ehhh...

sTire label and axle ratings don't match up. With dual 6k axles, a limit of 5k payload makes no sense. Also not really seeing any signs of hail damage enough to total out a 2017 enclosed gooseneck, at least on the pictures posted on the site. Ehhh...
Agree...does not compute......syntax error..

Dug a bit into the manufacturer of the trailer, the trailers are made in Nampco, ID. One target customer of the trailer were snowmobilers, although this trailer doesn't have a snowmobile door. This trailer does have a left side door, which supports @ls1mike that the trailer may have been used as a race car hauler.

Reviews seem to imply the trailers have poor quality control, maybe very poor. The reviews are from 2008-2010, so maybe the manufacturer improved the processes- who knows. I tried to find used Mirage gooseneck simply so I could read the GVWR sticker and related data, but could not find a single used Mirage gooseneck on the market.

What most concerned me about the Mirage gooseneck was two reviews saying the front axle came off the trailer while in tow. That is scary. Further, many suggested that spending the extra cash on a Featherlite or Charmac as quality enclosed gooseneck trailers.

Here is one of the reviews and the manufacturer's website:

Tire label and axle ratings don't match up. With dual 6k axles, a limit of 5k payload makes no sense. Also not really seeing any signs of hail damage enough to total out a 2017 enclosed gooseneck, at least on the pictures posted on the site. Ehhh...
Probably under axled like every trailer. They probably guess 20 percent is carried on the pin. My TT is 7800lbs gross. It only has two 3500lbs axles. The rest is on the hitch.

Back