Looking for comments/ thoughts/ observation triple axle enclosed gooseneck trailer

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Looking for thoughts/observations/comments on this enclosed triple axle trailer at Copart auction in Colorado. Primary issue listed is side damage.

49365494_Image_1.jpg
49365494_Image_2.jpg
49365494_Image_3.jpg
49365494_Image_4.jpg
49365494_Image_5.jpg
49365494_Image_6.jpg
49365494_Image_7.jpg
49365494_Image_8.jpg
49365494_Image_9.jpg
49365494_Image_10.jpg

Not sure I would pull that with a Titan! Any ideas on the curb weight & GVWR on that beast? Looks like a trailer for a dually to pull, it’s got to be 5K empty? Damage doesn’t look horrible, & roof A/C would be a nice bonus.

Reactions: GON
Maybe it lost a tire that took out the fender but I bet it’s a theft recovery and they just put the most obvious damage on the description as “side”.

Looks like it’ll tow, I’d throw a bid on it if I needed a trailer.

• Helpful
Can you get the specs with the VIN?
That is a great comment. The trailer looks professionally built yet is listed as HMDE. HMDE I speculate may mean homemade. So, one has to wonder, is this a name brand trailer, and was salvaged, etc. And re titled as a homemade trailer? Often easy to title a trailer as homemade and cover up a prior concern. Again, I have no idea the history or title stuff on this trailer.

Normally there would be a placard with the name of the manufacturer, weight limits, VIN, etc. None is shown on this trailer.

That means it was stolen before. They stripped off the manufacturer's nameplate and VIN then got a new VIN issued and registered clean again as "homemade."

That means it was stolen before. They stripped off the manufacturer's nameplate and VIN then got a new VIN issued and registered clean again as "homemade."
Thats an assumption. It could have been a salvaged trailer because of an accident, etc. Pull of the placard, tell the DMV you made the trailer, and bingo- new clean title.

Some states don’t require titles for trailers, at all. Got to determine & contact the manufacturer & see if it’s stolen. Seems suspicious…

Although time is short with an auction, I'd see if you could decipher what racer owned it and ask a few questions there too.

My theory is that it was stolen, the owner was paid by the insurance company, then it was recovered and now the insurer is trying to recover what they can from the total loss settlement by selling it at Copart.

It’s a trailer not a nuclear reactor. If the price is right, bid on it. It’s got 6 wheels, if an axle is bad or a bearing seized, pull those wheels off. It will tow empty on 4 tires just fine.

I gotta laugh, this brought back old memories in a round about way. I googled the address to see where this was. It was once an auto insurance auction called Klodes. I owned a 4x4 wrecking yard in the late 80's early 90's and used to get vehicles from them.

Bidding worked like this. On Monday you'd walk the yard. Every space had a number. You'd go back to the office, and they had these scrap pieces of paper. You'd write the space# and your bid, fold it up, and put it in a coffee can. One Thursday morning you'd call and they would tell you if you won anything. You had until Friday at 5pm to get it out.

I had a single car trailer and was about 40 miles away but had to go through the heart of Denver there and back. When I won one or two vehicles it was no problem, but once in a while you'd hit on 5 or 6 and it made for a busy couple of days!.

A few days left on this one. Aluminum frame, pretty nice!

• Love
A few days left on this one. Aluminum frame, pretty nice!

RH,

Thanks- I will be a bidder on that trailer, likely up to $8k USD.... The trailer has a lot to like, I suspect it may go for much more than $8k USD.

RH,

Thanks- I will be a bidder on that trailer, likely up to $8k USD.... The trailer has a lot to like, I suspect it may go for much more than $8k USD.
Now the high bidder, but a long way to go. I like the fees are much less than other auction houses, appreciate you posting this!

No
Now the high bidder, but a long way to go. I like the fees are much less than other auction houses, appreciate you posting this!
No longer the high bidder. Took a closer look, that is an awesome trailer. I will likely go to $12k USD for the trailer- I can see that trailer easily selling for $15k+ USD.

Tons of cool stuff at that auction. A BITOGERs dream auction, thanks again for posting @RhondaHonda !

Of note, the trailer in the original post just finished at auction. Price was about $2100, then a bidding war between a California and a Colorado buyer. California won the high bid at $4,000 USD before fees, but the reserve was not met. Might have been a great deal, but I was not willing to take the risk with the trailer being 1,000 miles away.

Earlier today I was the high bidder on this severely hail damaged 2021 Interstate dual axle enclosed trailer. Years ago Interstate made a decent trailer- I am not sure of their quality today. My winning bid (pending Seller approval) was $2100 before fees, so likely $3100 with fees.

Trailers are super hot commodity. I will take a quality trailer with hail damage over a poorly built non hail damaged trailer.

82818993_Image_8.jpg
82818993_Image_9.jpg
82818993_Image_1.jpg
82818993_Image_2.jpg
82818993_Image_3.jpg
82818993_Image_4.jpg
82818993_Image_5.jpg
82818993_Image_6.jpg
82818993_Image_7.jpg

I’ve bought a few older garden tractors from that auction. Always a lot of stuff and low fees. If I had a use I’d bid on that trailer. Curious what it goes for.

I’ve bought a few older garden tractors from that auction. Always a lot of stuff and low fees. If I had a use I’d bid on that trailer. Curious what it goes for.
I will let you know what the trailer goes for. I will bid up to $12k USD. Unlike Copart or IAAI which limit viewings of auction items from 10am-2pm the day before the auction, Schiender appears to allow viewing auction lots from 9amto 4pm M-F, and also Saturday. Wish I was close, I would go check out the trailer. Being aluminum is going to bring up a much higher sales price.

I am soon to move again, and I don't yet have a permanent place to go. Having a trailer of that size and weight capacity might be super helpful for storing household goods and garage stuff. Hate spending that kind of money, but it may make sense in the long run.

I will let you know what the trailer goes for. I will bid up to $12k USD. Unlike Copart or IAAI which limit viewings of auction items from 10am-2pm the day before the auction, Schiender appears to allow viewing auction lots from 9amto 4pm M-F, and also Saturday. Wish I was close, I would go check out the trailer. Being aluminum is going to bring up a much higher sales price.

I am soon to move again, and I don't yet have a permanent place to go. Having a trailer of that size and weight capacity might be super helpful for storing household goods and garage stuff. Hate spending that kind of money, but it may make sense in the long run.
In out of town this week otherwise I’d go look for you. It’s about an hour west of me. Good luck.

Back