Thoughts on this product that allows a gooseneck trailer to be hauled by a truck with a fifth wheel?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interested in getting thoughts/ comments/ feedback on using an adapter to haul a gooseneck trailer with a pickup that has a fifth wheel hitch.

I wrote to B&W, the manufacturer of the Patriot fifth wheel hitch installed on a truck I am looking at. B&W kindly and quickly responded they don't make a option/ kit for using a gooseneck trailer on the Patriot system. But they did send me a adapter recommendation, that e-trailer sells.

I am looking to haul a aluminum enclosed 22 foot Featherlight with a gooseneck, 7500 lbs GVWR.

kpg5-r30ip_16_1000.jpg

Can't see why that wouldn't work fine. I've been told doing the opposite using an adapter on a 5th wheel to haul with a truck with a gooseneck ball puts unplanned for stress on the hitch mount and frame on the trailer. Makes sense.
The only thing I read was that using an adapter may not allow the trailer to be towed level, putting excessive weight distribution on the trailer axles. The reason is the fifth wheel is taller that a gooseneck ball mounted flat on the pickup bed.

The only thing I read was that using an adapter may not allow the trailer to be towed level, putting excessive weight distribution on the trailer axles. The reason is the fifth wheel is taller that a gooseneck ball mounted flat on the pickup bed.
I agree, that's the one downside I can see, but it should be pretty easy to measure to get an approximation if you would have enough adjustment to get the trailer level.

Reactions: GON
I have been told by a few people it puts extra stress on the travel trailer. Axles, hitch and frame. Not sure if it is quantifiable. I have seen people go the other way. 5th Wheel to gooseneck, You would be the first I have seen go this way.

Reactions: GON
Is the trailer portion of the hitch adjustable, like on a flat bed gooseneck trailer?
1684432286515.jpg

My uncle has a 24 ft gooseneck trailer that actually came with both adapters for the regular ball mount or the kingpin. It just drops down out of the hitch and slides in secured with bolts like the trailer shown in the pic above.

I would imagine it won't have quite as much pivot side to side like a regular 5th wheel. But shouldn't be an issue

Unless I am missing something here the item shown in the picture is inserted into the gooseneck hole on the truck ?
If its just a post sticking up from that hole the extra force on the gooseneck receptacle would be very high. Fifth wheels have 4 mounts spread out, all that force in one hole ? I wouldnt do it.

Never mind, I had it wrong.

Unless I am missing something here the item shown in the picture is inserted into the gooseneck hole on the truck ?
No, the adapter in the OP slides into the gooseneck frame tube, then it sits on the 5th wheel plate with the king pin captured by the 5th wheel jaws. The adapter replaces the goosneck ball receptacle.

No more or less stress on either the gooseneck frame or the 5th wheel hitch, than connecting the gooseneck to a ball.

Back