2007 Lexus GX 470 180k miles, salvage, Tucson AZ

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Here is a 2007 Lexus GX 470. I did a carfax, showed an Arizona registered SUV its whole life, which is a real big deal. The hood confirms spent most if not all of its time in AZ.

I was in AZ this week, so decided to bid. If I had won the auction, I simply would have paid a wrecker to move the SUV to long term storage, and then picked up the SUV in a couple of months (I have a full work schedule through MAY).

Four bidders, two from east of the Mississippi, one from AZ, and me. The two easy of the Mississippi bidders dropped out at $2500. I dropped out at $3150. The AZ bidder won the auction at $3200, which was his pre-bid price. No bidders above $3200 at the live auction. The Auction winner rejected the Sellers offer of likely $4200, the SUV is now a buy it now of $4275. I suspect it will sell at Buy It Now, especially if someone realizes zero rust undercarriage.

The damage from the accident is minimal. I believe a local junk yard has that exact hood and fender in the color in stock, only thing needed is a front bumper, in which case I have one of those on white in my garage. The issue was a bit higher mileage than I like, but the real issue is the seats. The passenger seat is trashed, I can only imagine the driver side seat. I suspect being in the AZ sun caused this. OEM replacement seat covers are available, just the bottom section, at a discount is about $900. The headlights also need to be replaced, I can get new OEM replacements for about $900 a pair.

What is nice on this SUV is what I suspect is ZERO rust and corrosion. One for about 10k all in can have a SUV with a following, in likely decent condition if one goes with aftermarket seat covers from seat shop instead of OEM. That zero rust and corrosion is a really big deal for this SUV, as rust is its well know very weak point (and only weak point).

I am think still about buying this, but am likely going to pass, as a 2018 GX 460 is going to auction next week, that is 20 minutes from my home.

On the first one, not enough juice for the squeeze. At $10k with rebuilt salvage, you will never get all your money back.

On the second one, does it have no title? Why is it sold with just a BILL OF SALE?

On the first one, not enough juice for the squeeze. At $10k with rebuilt salvage, you will never get all your money back.

On the second one, does it have no title? Why is it sold with just a BILL OF SALE?

Yea I read this sentence three times-
One for about 10k all in can have a SUV with a following,

OK-
but that thing isn't worth 10grand-and you are not even factoring in your time.

I don't buy these to flip/resell. Just a fun money losing hobby for me. I typically have a friend or family member that ends up with my extra vehicles.

The 2018 is a bill of sale because the state of Washington issues bill of sales instead of salvage titles. When the vehicle is repaired, the state of Washington, post inspection issues a rebuilt title.

The dents in the right quarter are probably unrelated to the front end collision. The photos are so poor, it almost feels like they are hiding something. No interior 360 view, not sure what’s up with the right rear wheel/suspension or if the tire just came off the rim from being moved with low air. Lexus panel gaps are pretty tight so maybe the fender just hits the door from being pushed back slightly, or maybe there’s some structural damage? This would make a great alternative to a side-by-side for a country/farm property for a fraction of a new SXS. Too many unknowns for me unless I could inspect it in person.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Greedy seller, should have taken the $3200 and ran.

I would want to see the 2018 in person, that might be a worthwhile rebuild, that 2007 is junk.

Ok but I can think of a lot more fun cars I'd be putting my efforts into than a big lumbering SUV. Mustang GT, Camero, BMW M, Mercedes AMG, even a Supra if you prefer Japanese.
I tend to go with one model, and then keep with it. I started off rebuilding Pontiac Bonnivilles, then Pontiac Gran Prixs, then W220 S class, then W221 S class, etc.

I have now moved onto GX 470s. I usually make a not so good purchase on a "new" to me model, but learn so much I can have a better ability of finding a needle in the haystack next model. I have shared on BITOG my 2006 S500 with 40k miles for $350, and it was a screaming deal. But to get that deal, I paid the price on my first W220. Same with my first W221 purchase. Not a good buy, but I learned so much, I was able to get another w221 at a unbelievable opportunity, and that w221 is in storage as my "retirement" present.

I am not good enough or have the resources to just purchase any car and rebuild it. I try to find an undervalued model, and then get "reps" at rebuilding them.

Greedy seller, should have taken the $3200 and ran.

I would want to see the 2018 in person, that might be a worthwhile rebuild, that 2007 is junk.
Double D,

We use different methods for value. I would take a rust free banged up high mileage vehicle, than a well maintained garage queen with low miles from Buffalo, Ny.

I can fix a engine, trans, replace seats ... But I can't fix rust and corrosion. I keep my vehicles forever and self maintain. Rust and corrosion is the one thing that is not fixable, ever

Back