2015 F350 Super Duty at auction today

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I will go to 7k on this. I know I won't win, but one never knows.

What I like is the topper. Toppers on pickup trucks usually means an old guy owned it. This truck is a one owner, purchased in Denver. XLT package, so not overly optioned, but I like the options to include snowplow package and camper springs.

What makes this a expensive salvage repair of all things is the non-crew cab. The "smaller sized" back door is hard to find, I suspect very hard.

My guess this will sell in the 15k-22k range. If not damaged, on-line appraisal tools value this truck at or near the price it sold for new. For note, I subscribe to epicvin, so I can (and have) seen the pictures and advertisement of this truck selling new on the Ford dealer lot in Colorado.

Two bidders after the price exceed 5k at auction, a bidder from Oregon and me. I bid it up to $6400, in concert with the Oregon bidder. I was late to place my next bid, and the auction ended with me unable to reach my 7k max bid.

The truck has ben removed from the auction. I suspect the reserve (set from State Farm) was not met, the winning bidder refused the reserve price offer from State Farm, and this truck will be back on the auction block or a buy it now next. Of course- just a guess on my part.

I will go to 7k on this. I know I won't win, but one never knows.

What I like is the topper. Toppers on pickup trucks usually means an old guy owned it. This truck is a one owner, purchased in Denver. XLT package, so not overly optioned, but I like the options to include snowplow package and camper springs.

What makes this a expensive salvage repair of all things is the non-crew cab. The "smaller sized" back door is hard to find, I suspect very hard.

My guess this will sell in the 15k-22k range. If not damaged, on-line appraisal tools value this truck at or near the price it sold for new. For note, I subscribe to epicvin, so I can (and have) seen the pictures and advertisement of this truck selling new on the Ford dealer lot in Colorado.
I would wonder if a cab swap would be more feasable? Looks like the doors are pushed in far enough to affect the floor. Thats just my untrained eye talking though. This generation of Super Duties are really nice trucks for the money right now and short of death wobble and Ford's terrible cab mounts are pretty problem free. We have a 13 single cab F250 and a 16 F250 X-cab both with the 6.2.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
A cab swap would probably be easiest if you aren’t a body guy but as you said, not a common configuration with the extended cab. A rocker and a lot of hammering on the floor with some used doors would make it a good driver. It’s a gas truck so probably worth about 60% of what it’s worth if it were a diesel.

I hope this truck works out well for you! I can hardly wait to see the photos. Show us what you bought!
FB3,

Photos not available any earlier than Monday. I woke up at 245am this morning, and saw the truck going to auction next week, or buy it now. BIN was $8,000. I decided to go to the IAAI branch with the truck, 140 miles away, and be at the branch when it opened at 8am. I know there is another bidder on the truck, and he is local to the truck- so I was worried about missing the BIN.

When I arrived at the branch, they refused to let me view the truck. IAAI policy of viewing at this branch is 10am-2pm, the day before the auction (Wednesdays). I ask for an exception to policy to view the truck- it was declined. I made the decision to buy the truck without the inspection. If I made a bad buy, I think the bed, tailgate, etc- would sell fast, so my exposure is pretty only about 3-4k (just a guess). I think I can put it back for auction also- never inquired about that.

What I liked about the truck was it is one-owner and had a cap. I suspect an older guy was the owner, and the truck wasn't used for work. I don't want a cap- but clean trucks with cap often equal older owner. I also like Oregon's salvage title law. To convert a salvage title to a rebuilt title only requires a VIN inspection and receipts for the parts purchased. Blew my mind it was so easy to convert from salvage to rebuilt in Oregon- but also a huge warning to anyone looking at an Oregon rebuilt title- it was never inspected.

They would only let me pay for the truck with a cashier check or paypal. Paypal fee was $450. I decided to come back on Monday- that is a huge fee. I now have the cashier check in hand but can't make it back to Portland today- I promised to take my Wife out to dinner tonight and since I am gone so often, not going to risk be a no show for me wife.

Here are a few of the auction pics that were enlarged. I like the cleanliness of the interior and looking across the passenger side- the driver door doesn't seem to intrude into the cab interior.

download (1).jpg
download (2).jpg
download (3).jpg

That looks like a nice well loved truck. I don think you will get hurt at all. You could part it out and come out ahead if for some reason it can’t be easily repaired.

That looks like a nice well loved truck. I don think you will get hurt at all. You could part it out and come out ahead if for some reason it can’t be easily repaired.
FB,

Thanks. Something I have been using to determine the history of a vehicle is a epicvin report. Epicvin has some of the same information as carfax, but also has all the prior sale information (that I assume was put on the internet).

Here are two pics, one with the new vehicle sticker, of when the truck was for sale brand new- from the epocvin report.

26258a668634bc9b_a9c5d6f44afdc0.jpg
26258a668634bc9b_75b61b1edbbc14.jpg

Nice to see you back at your little hobby. 😋 Weren't you space limited at your new home (condo?) or am I remembering a different part of your latest relocation adventures?

Aren't you engaging in some sort of ageism bias thinking this was owned by an older guy because of the cap and he likely babied it?:unsure: Good logic. (I resemble that thinking. ) ;)

Nice to see you back at your little hobby. 😋 Weren't you space limited at your new home (condo?) or am I remembering a different part of your latest relocation adventures?

Aren't you engaging in some sort of ageism bias thinking this was owned by an older guy because of the cap and he likely babied it?:unsure: Good logic. (I resemble that thinking. ) ;)
AZJ,

Primarily, I am working overseas- so I can't buy anything as the daily storage costs is $35 per day at the auction. That adds up really quick. I am home for the holidays and got myself into some trouble. If this truck wasn't so close, I would not have pulled the trigger. I had my eye on some brand-new GSA Super Dutys- yet to hit the auction. I have no idea why they are being auctioned, and GSA on super Dutys often do so funky optioning, but that what I was targeting, not this truck.

Yes, I am space limited. And especially with an extended cab and an eight-foot bed. But I will figure it out. Most of the work seems pretty cut and dry (famous last words). The biggest issue I see with the repair right now is the weight of the door. That door is likely monster heavy. Will two guys to place it. Likely three would be preferred.

Found a local junk yard with a decent price on the front door. Most of the front doors I have seen listed on ebay are hundreds of dollars more, and without the mirror and maybe the interior of the door. I just bought a Amtrak ticket to go to the auction house. I don't recall ever being on a Amtrak train. I will have to bring a jump pack and a gas can (empty) on the train.

One crazy thing I look for is the number of keys the vehicle comes with, and the condition of the keys. If a vehicle comes with two keys, the vehicle owner listened to and follow the insurance company's instructions. And the owner had and could find the second key. Little things like that actually tell a lot about the previous owner.

In reference to buying from an "old guy", here is a great comparison from the same auction location, a 2015 Ford, highly desired diesel engine, exterior white so body parts very easy to obtain. But looking at the truck I can profile the buyer and know to run away- heck I can likely guess the owner's favorite musician. And one benefit of some salvage vehicles- the owner wasn't necessarily selling a problem child- an unexpected event happened.

Last edited:
Totally agree with your profiling. Around here some of the brodozer trucks have obviously been beat like a rented mule and others are all for show. Then the show trucks get sold and have the snot beat out of them. Can you find black doors?
AJZ,

Found the doors, but very expensive and far away. Almost all of the doors were from NY, PA, or MI. Which likely means exposure to salt. And the Sellers were asking large money, and shipping costs.

Luckily, I found this from door in Eureka, OR. This yard has a sister yard just 20 miles from me, and they will ship the door to the sister yard for $75. I now need to find that rear suicide door in black.

Is that just regular old black? The pics are gone from the IAA site so I can’t see the paint code.

Is that just regular old black? The pics are gone from the IAA site so I can’t see the paint code.
RH,

Great question- and one I had also. Ford only offered one color in black for the 2015 Super Duties: "TUXEDO BLACK METALLIC".

I was glad to see Ford only offered one color on Black for 2015- made searching for parts much easier. And, as we all know- white was by far the most popular color. I sense black was in the top five.

Found the rear door at a great price on Ebay in Vermont. The ad didn't mention shipping, so I went to send the Seller a note and this was Ebay's auto response "We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I guess Ebay tracks Sellers that don't respond to questions and then cuts off questions to the Seller?

I know a black door is ideal but you’ll likely need paint work on the fender where the front door rubbed it and definitely on the cab. A rear door probably pays 3-4 hours which at shop rates in St. Louis is about $400 with materials. That wouldn’t include de-trimming the door. I’m not sure what the premium is with shipping for a black door vs a local white one, just something to keep in mind.

I work at a public shipyard and rarely drive over 10 MPH in our stakeside F350s. Some spend ten years getting 12k miles, and these are all spent traversing jarring railroad/ crane tracks.

I've been to DC and seen them use Ford Excursions as gates to allow or deny access, spending shifts idling just to drive forward 20 feet, then reverse 20 feet a la "Ferris Beuller."

If you're looking at GSA auctions, look at stuff like the driver's seat to see if they were slid into and out of, with wear commensurate.

I would leave most of these vehicles for someone wowed by the low mileage... someone else.

I work at a public shipyard and rarely drive over 10 MPH in our stakeside F350s. Some spend ten years getting 12k miles, and these are all spent traversing jarring railroad/ crane tracks.

I've been to DC and seen them use Ford Excursions as gates to allow or deny access, spending shifts idling just to drive forward 20 feet, then reverse 20 feet a la "Ferris Beuller."

If you're looking at GSA auctions, look at stuff like the driver's seat to see if they were slid into and out of, with wear commensurate.

I would leave most of these vehicles for someone wowed by the low mileage... someone else.
I am not looking at GSA auctions, happened to come across brand new 2022 Super Dutys' being auctioned with GSA plates on them at IAAI.

Definitely comprehend your observations with GSA and fleet vehicles in general. I have seen GSA vehicles idle for days, and I am not sure I have ever seen an ATT truck with its engine off. Seems protocol for ATT techs to leave the engine on while they are working inside office buildings. And of note, GSA extends OCIs longer than one can imagine, and uses the cheapest oil more often than not.

Here is a 1 mile GSA 2022 super duty up for auction. Hope I don't buy it........ It doesn't have the bling so who knows what it might auction off for. It is local so I will have an interest if on a fluke is goes cheap.

Back