2 Valvoline Restore & Protect tests

Great points. Yup, that's the one. The interval was roughly a year, but that in itself won't explain contamination, which was clearly the major issue there. I'm using their SS 10W-30 in that car this OCI and may have it analyzed next time I change it. If I do, I'll definitely post the results here.

My point wasn't at all that I or anyone else couldn't run longer intervals, but rather as a word of caution and a reminder that unexpected and unpredictable things can happen and that assuming it's safe to run longer intervals without even having any data to back up your assumption other than what someone else did may not work out well.

Like I said, how many people do you think would have guessed that I would have had to change Amsoil SS after roughly 6K highway miles in a D series Civic engine that calls for 10K mile OCI's on conventional oil from the 90's? I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.
Haven’t seen anyone here pushing intervals without at least one or two uoa’s Thant’s pretty mandatory.

I feel you with the SS. Ran it 23k miles in the ol’ geo metro, couldn’t get more than 12k-15k in the FB25. And that is why I switched to HPL to see what they can offer for longer oci’s, time will tell!

For sure. In reality, HPL is not nearly as expensive as some make it out to be. I got 10 gallons for about $2 less per quart than preferred price on Amsoil SS.
Agreed.

Considering how much money I spend on car gas, oil prices aren’t something I pay much attention to to be honest.

Oil costs are a drop in the bucket.

I waste my time shopping around for the best gas prices instead.

To get somewhat back on topic, I am curious to see what the R&P does for the OP's vehicles & heavy varnish. Please keep us posted.
To participate, I'm running my own test with 1 qt of VR&P with 3.5 qt of M1 EP that already has 10k miles on it. Running to 15k miles OCI. This starts the cleaning immediately. Based on my previous similar tests with Valvoline High Mileage leak seal oil when it first came out, I expect full bottom end engine cleaning with the 22% level of VR&P oil. Since I am no longer in charge of Sunoco's race fuels, production fuels, & oil development test labs, the cleaning level must be estimated w/o teardown. The test bed is subjected to about 10 full throttle accelerations per day, so the oil maintenance schedule is considered severe service.

Great points. Yup, that's the one. The interval was roughly a year, but that in itself won't explain contamination, which was clearly the major issue there. I'm using their SS 10W-30 in that car this OCI and may have it analyzed next time I change it. If I do, I'll definitely post the results here.

My point wasn't at all that I or anyone else couldn't run longer intervals, but rather as a word of caution and a reminder that unexpected and unpredictable things can happen and that assuming it's safe to run longer intervals without even having any data to back up your assumption other than what someone else did may not work out well.

Like I said, how many people do you think would have guessed that I would have had to change Amsoil SS after roughly 6K highway miles in a D series Civic engine that calls for 10K mile OCI's on conventional oil from the 90's? I certainly wouldn't have guessed that.
Silicon (aka dirt) can cause this type of wear.

You are using a coupon code so lets be genuine here, HPL is not cheaper.

I could go to Walmart and buy the same amount of Mobil 1 EP for $107 and not have to pay shipping or use a coupon, which guess what? it will run to 10k as well.
Go for it

Also keep in mind that oil/lubricants are a hobby for many of us here. The uoa’s and spending a little more on lubes is just part of that hobby, not an expensive burden.

I happen to be a firm believer in the awesome chemistry in modern oils allowing them to be run far out, safely, in a lot of motors. Even modern engine tech is quite good nowadays.

I get it that there are some motors where you just can’t get away with longer changes. I find it interesting that the only people reverting to 3k-5k changes are home mechanics, where it seems fleets are all about going for the long oci’s on quality lubes and seems to be working, from the small bit of information I have found.
Interesting post. Thanks. For a low cost Group III Full Synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3 rated oil like Walmart's Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30, what would you view as a safe extended oil change interval?

Interesting post. Thanks. For a low cost Group III Full Synthetic Dexos 1 Gen 3 rated oil like Walmart's Supertech Full Synthetic 5W-30, what would you view as a safe extended oil change interval?
Man, I am certainly no expert on lubes! Personally, for my tame motors I wouldn’t hesitate 10k, maybe longer if uoa was done.

HPL says their oils are good for 35k miles, but their customers don't have the guts to go that long. "Dirty" oil just means that the oil is doing its job suspending carbon. The oil is fine until TBN doesn't make spec. Hopefully you used a Mobil 1 or Fram Endurance oil filter.
You sure about that? Last time I checked, fuel dilution, insolubles, wear metals, soot, silicon, oxidization, nitration, viscosity, etc mattered too.

Word

I have a 2014 Accord 2.4 Earthdreams engine and oil was always changed at 15% remaining on the Maintenance-Minder...mileage was usually in the high 8000's at 15% life remaining. It gradually consumed a bit of oil as it hit 100,000 miles....about a quart every 5000 miles, maybe a little less, even after replacing the PCV valve. Then I switched to HPL 0w20, and after a complete nearly 9000 mile interval, the consumption has dropped to "insignificant". Perhaps I had some ring buildup? Perhaps this was resolved by running an oil with greater cleaning abilities than the Pennzoil Platinum and occasional Mobil 1 0w20's. Now at 131,000 miles, it's purring along without having to add oil between OCI's....HPL was the only change made. MPG stayed the same throughout it's lifetime...lower 30's...with a couple of variants associated with more city or more highway as would be expected.
Which grade of HPL did u use? I just bought the passenger premium plus.

Order form indicates PC 5w20 no VII. So I didn't remember correctly when I said 0w20 in my earlier post. Sorry about that!
Thanks. Why did u select High Performance Lubricants’ No VII engine oil? This is the more advanced grade. In an earlier email, David recommended the premium plus grade.

I’ve replaced a whole lot of Honda engines ruined from extended oil changes. I’ve seen customers bring me oil analysis showing the oil is good to 10,000 miles but the engine shows differently at 90,000 miles when drinking more oil than someone who ran a 5k
I ran a test where I changed the oil at 5k - did uoa + particle count, no filter change, 5k - did uoa + particle count, no filter change,5k - did uoa + particle count, a filter change. The 4 and 6 micron particles went sky high. The wear metals did not trend higher or indicate any issues. 5K with a filter change is highly recommended.

Thanks. Why did u select High Performance Lubricants’ No VII engine oil? This is the more advanced grade. In an earlier email, David recommended the premium plus grade.
I chose HPL due to Dave's personal interaction with many of the BITOGers, the highly esteemed Dr. Rudnick's link with HPL, and the reports made from previous and current customers. In short, I believe that they have a product that is as good as is available in the marketplace. I chose No VII because my Accord was consuming a bit of oil, so I wanted to go a bit thicker at the higher temperature end of operation and this has a higher HTHS rating than the 0w20's (check me on this, as I'm relying upon my memory). I think the cleaning abilities are similar between the HPL products, so that wasn't a factor. I posted pictures of the valve train when I replaced a seeping valve cover gasket...sure looks clean for a car with over 100,000 miles! Part of that was previous oils doing a good job, of course. BUT, the kicker is...the car no longer consumes oil...so something changed for the better...my guess is ring lands were freed up, but I don't actually know for certain.
I run the 0w30 Supercar in my 300+ HP BMW engine in my Mini...Dave's choice for my car. On my second fill...ran the first one 10,000 miles and will do the same with this fill.

Back