Valvoline Restore & Protect

I've never been one to mix oils even though it's ok to do. If the additive systems are balanced, then mixing changes the ratios. In the LSJ video, the Valvoline guy mentioned how they're using low treat rates of certain additives. There is probably a reason for that. When you mix you're also diluting the chemistry so it's really a complete guess.

The pictures of the pistons after only 4k miles was pretty impressive.

I've never been one to mix oils even though it's ok to do. If the additive systems are balanced, then mixing changes the ratios. In the LSJ video, the Valvoline guy mentioned how they're using low treat rates of certain additives. There is probably a reason for that. When you mix you're also diluting the chemistry so it's really a complete guess.

I used to mix oils fairly often, until I realized that using a high-quality Fully Formulated Oil is more important than any of my under-educated guesses. Looking at the VOA's of many oils, there are more than a couple of ways to make a good-performing end product. I simply don't know enough to make guesses with the chemistries by mixing my own.

As I mentioned earlier you got me thinking. This product is now on the top of my list of engine cleaning products if I had a need for one. For friends or family looking for a recommendation I'd suggest giving this a try, straight out of the jug, no mixing with anything. ;) In fact I might throw it in the 08 Liberty for the winter OCI. With the change of my wife's driving pattern I switched to 6 month OCIs and I will be changing the oil late fall.

I must say that I'm very impressed with the quick response from Valvoline to their emails! Most emails to oil companies go completely unanswered or take weeks to respond, but I sent an email about an hour ago and already got a response, even though it's quite early in the morning in North America. The only thing is that they really didn't answer my questions to my satisfaction :unsure:

My first question was when R&P was coming to Canada and they didn't have a time frame for that. My second question was whether this oil is formulated to handle 10,000 mile intervals and they just gave the typical response "We stand behind and recommend you follow the OEM service intervals for your vehicle"

I do think that once my engine is cleaned up, that this oil should be ok for me to run 10,000 mile intervals in my Civic like I've been doing with many other oils. My plan is to run the first interval at 6k, and then if I do decide to keep using it, the second interval would be 7500, and then follow the oil life monitor from then on, which is typically 10k.

HPL EC is fully formulated oil with an HDEO additive package. The only difference is that it has more esters as its functioning base stock, making it a concentrate to mix with any other oil. I have no concerns having an extra bit of solvency boost added to the Valvoline R&P, the filter installed on her car can certainly take the load as she will be back in 6 months / 3K for the next drain based on her 7 months of driving and distance traveled from the last drain.

If her car still eats lots of oil after the PCV replacement and oil changes, then worse case is a piston soak before condemning the engine.

So he did say that R&P could help to some degree reduce intake valve deposits being some of that product will come in contact with them.
Makes sense.

HPL says this about IVD on their website:

“Oils formulated with specifically chosen esters can help to minimize intake valve deposits, maintain clean engines and provide elastomer compatibility”.

Last edited:
Ok you use Valvoline R&P the deposits stay suspended in the oil, till they get caught up in the filter, isn't there a chance, that those deposits, can get caught up where they don't belong? I'm not really so concerned for myself, because my oil has been changed like clockwork..

Ok you use Valvoline R&P the deposits stay suspended in the oil, till they get caught up in the filter, isn't there a chance, that those deposits, can get caught up where they don't belong? I'm not really so concerned for myself, because my oil has been changed like clockwork..
All the oil in the system is pumped over and over through the oil filter, so anything suspended will be filtered. Only "big chunks" that break off might get caught in random pockets in the heads for instance, and might not ever get sent to the filter. But Valvoline R&P isn't suppose to be that aggressive, and is suppose to slowly desolve deposits. If "chunks" get caught someplace, maybe they would be slowly desolved away with further cleaning.

For example, would there be any point to adding the HPL EC to HPL fully formulated oil?🤔
I'm running this combo in my Rodeo as we speak & am around the 3k mile mark. If you search my posts on the matter, I share the response I got from David from HPL before I decided to try it out. In a nutshell, I started running their regular pcmo in a heavily varnished engine, & wondered if it would be safe to top off with a qt of their ec40 & boost the cleaning efficiency. The answer was yes it is safe, & does increase the cleaning capabilities of the pcmo, albeit at a higher cost than just using one of their more premium oils alone.

From Valvoline- user reviews.
Before
View attachment 214392
View attachment 214393
View attachment 214394

“Recently purchased a 2007 Toyota 4Runner SR5 with 125,000 miles on it. The Runner actually had a decent record of consistent generic oil changes every 3,000 miles. However, after looking inside the valve cover with an endoscope, I noticed heavy varnish and slight sludge built up in certain areas I could get to. I didn't want to do an engine flush, as I heard it might clog the oil passageways. Initially, I tried another popular brand that is known for cleaning and after about 1200 miles of driving, I looked inside the valve cover, but did not notice any difference. Valvoline Restore and Protect was released shortly after - I was initially interested, because the marketing targeted was exactly what I was looking for (Restore to Factory Clean and prevents build-up), so I gave it a try. The Oil has been in the engine for 1,324 miles and wow - I have not drained it yet, but I can already see a noticeable difference looking in the valve cover. The areas that contained yellow varnish is notably silver and the areas that contained minor sludge build up looks significantly cleaner. The engine also runs a lot smoother (quieter) with this oil. Since sludge was present, I'm going to drain this oil at 1500 miles and refill with new Valvoline Restore and Protect.”
A very supportive review for the Valvoline Restore and Protect from a long time trusted BITOG member. Thanks.

2 questions:

[1] Would you consider trying HPL EC30 or HPL PCMO to see if you see similar cleaning results as you saw with Valvoline Restore and Protect?

[2] Regarding the 3,000 mile OCI and sludge/varnish problem, was the oil used likely a Group I bulk oil from some large drum at an oil change place?

Last edited:
I did an oil change on a friends kia rio yesterday and got this oil. We both sniff the jug and HPL and she noted the HPL has a sweet smell whereas the Vavoline RP smells like any other new motor oil.

Giving her my best shot to tackle her oil consumption issues so im looking forward to seeing how much of deposits cleared in her car fill hole.

View attachment 226623
exactly the recipe my K24 just got

HPL EC is fully formulated oil with an HDEO additive package. The only difference is that it has more esters as its functioning base stock, making it a concentrate to mix with any other oil. I have no concerns having an extra bit of solvency boost added to the Valvoline R&P, the filter installed on her car can certainly take the load as she will be back in 6 months / 3K for the next drain based on her 7 months of driving and distance traveled from the last drain.

If her car still eats lots of oil after the PCV replacement and oil changes, then worse case is a piston soak before condemning the engine.

So, are you saying both oils clean or reduce varnish thru fill hole? I’m lost as lots of opinions. I do know it did darken my oil fast in the daily driver focus. The HPL CK-4 HDEO that is.

I must say that I'm very impressed with the quick response from Valvoline to their emails! Most emails to oil companies go completely unanswered or take weeks to respond, but I sent an email about an hour ago and already got a response, even though it's quite early in the morning in North America. The only thing is that they really didn't answer my questions to my satisfaction :unsure:

My first question was when R&P was coming to Canada and they didn't have a time frame for that. My second question was whether this oil is formulated to handle 10,000 mile intervals and they just gave the typical response "We stand behind and recommend you follow the OEM service intervals for your vehicle"

I do think that once my engine is cleaned up, that this oil should be ok for me to run 10,000 mile intervals in my Civic like I've been doing with many other oils. My plan is to run the first interval at 6k, and then if I do decide to keep using it, the second interval would be 7500, and then follow the oil life monitor from then on, which is typically 10k.
Wouldn't the only way to confirm would be to perform UOA? Engine, climate and driving habits all impact the degradation of the oil.

Wouldn't the only way to confirm would be to perform UOA? Engine, climate and driving habits all impact the degradation of the oil.
For sure, but I was basically asking them if this oil is formulated like a longer drain oil (such as their own Extended Protection oil)

It could, but since Valvoline Restore and Protect has a new cleaning formulation, and this person experienced new oil seal leaks a week after using it, it's anybodies guess if there is a correlation, but I'm only posting it in case we see collaborating evidence from other sources.
If you have a engine with a worn out seal that may be seeping oil and then go in with any oil that is designed to clean more compared to others including using flush products you could clean up sludge/carbon build up that was preventing that seal from fully leaking.

The seal was already bad prior to the oil doing it's job at cleaning.

My suggestion would be for people using Valvoline R&P in older engines to clean them up is use it until you get the desired cleanliness and then switch to a high mileage oil if it is not an easily replaceable seal.

People who are using it in fairly new engines with good seals might as well continue using it since the price is pretty good.

Point being, don't be mad at an oil being designed to clean actually cleaning sludge/carbon buildup off of worn out seals.

I passed by this oil at Wally World this morning and thought it might be fun to try it in my 1985 Troy-Bilt Pony rototiller with a 5 HP Briggs flathead. If anything in my fleet needs an internal cleaning it would have to be this. Then my better judgement took hold and asked "do you really need to spend nearly $11 for a quart of 5w-30 oil that is on the thin side for this application, especially in the middle of a heat wave?" Maybe I will give it a try for the fall cleanup and then dump it after the spring tilling. It shouldn't hurt anything so long as it's use is limited to cooler temperatures. Presently this engine runs 15w-40 RT6 synthetic but most of its 39 years were run with PYB or QS SAE 30 conventional.

Going in the mother-in-law’s Ford Edge sludgemonster with 114k miles on the clock. The only vehicle in my life I’ve seen chunks of “stuff” appear as the oil was drained— I was not the one maintaining it for the first 80k or so of its life.

Forgot to add…it’s a 2011 with the 3.5 V6.
1CB66AAA-6A2E-40C1-8DCD-F6549864BB0F.jpeg

DFF24948-30E9-4B1B-BF4B-1DE24FFF9EA2.jpeg

Last edited:
Back