Valvoline Restore & Protect

It might clean too well and cause oil seal leaks. We have only 1 Amazon review with this issue, but it might be prudent to wait 6 months and monitor the posts to see if this becomes a trend.

Perhaps I'm over cautious.
Cautious? But you'll use an oil flush? Rhetorical joke, I don't think there is anything wrong with your choices.

The 2nd post from the top by TOMMY:
Reviewed in the United States on March 26, 2024
Configuration: 5W-30Size: 5 QTVerified Purchase
I had a bad experience 😭
After a week I put this new oil. The crankshaft seal started leaking oil. If you car have a lot miles don't use. I use same brand of oil full synthetic high mileage.is perfect for cars over 200000 miles.
(OJO) IN MY EXPERIENCE.
Tommy didn't even spell "started leaking" correctly if you look at the actual review - he said "seal star liking oil" ... yeah, we know what he means, but hey. I did a search for all reviews for the word "leak" and "seal" ... and didn't find one other review mentioning any seal leakage after use.

Last edited:
Tommy didn't even spell "started leaking" correctly is you look at the actual review - he said "seal star liking oil" ... yeah, we know what he means, but hey. I did a search for all reviews for the word "leak" and "seal" ... and didn't find one other review mentioning any seal leakage after use.
True. Hoping it's just a coincidence. This new oil has caused so much excitement among all the members of BITOG.

It will be quite interesting to monitor this new oil on BITOG's posts, as I'm sure the members of this forum will really QA test this new oil in actual real world use, and it will be interesting if 6 months from now the good news on this breakthrough oil keeps getting better and better.

Last edited:
Even though a lot of members here are probably getting sick of hearing about this oil, generally speaking if an oil grabs our attention here it’s for good reasons. Just like long term members will remember how much we talked about German Castrol 0w30, it was because that oil was incredibly good.

I had some concern over this. I saw the review regarding the leak a couple months back. I then searched the reviews for leak keywords, and I didn't find any others.

My feelings are that the seals are in areas that a product like Mobil 1 or Amsoil is going to clean crazy well too. I wouldn't expect R&P to cause more of an issue than any other synthetic that cleans well. I could be wrong, but that's what I expect/hope. A car with an iffy seal, I think any synthetic and synthetic with good cleaning abilities could make worse.

You don't know if the leak could have already been there, or the oil hadn't been changed in 20,000 miles, etc. There's too many variables.

I did an oil change on a friends kia rio yesterday and got this oil. We both sniff the jug and HPL and she noted the HPL has a sweet smell whereas the Vavoline RP smells like any other new motor oil.

Giving her my best shot to tackle her oil consumption issues so im looking forward to seeing how much of deposits cleared in her car fill hole.

20240622_144840.jpg

I did an oil change on a friends kia rio yesterday and got this oil. We both sniff the jug and HPL and she noted the HPL has a sweet smell whereas the Vavoline RP smells like any other new motor oil.

Giving her my best shot to tackle her oil consumption issues so im looking forward to seeing how much of deposits cleared in her car fill hole.

View attachment 226623
Are you running those all together? Just curious because that's a lot of different chemistry.

True. Hoping it's just a coincidence. This new oil has caused so much excitement among all the members of BITOG.

It will be quite interesting to monitor this new oil on BITOG's posts, as I'm sure the members of this forum will really QA test this new oil in actual real world use, and it will be interesting if 6 months from now the good news on this breakthrough oil keeps getting better and better.
I have three vehicles running it right now. 189k, 212k, 54k. No problems so far. Two co-workers are running it also. No negatives to report. It seems like a good oil regardless. Runs quiet and smooth.

Valvoline discovered their chemistry by chance. Wouldn't run something else blended in, on the chance it could render the VRP ineffective.

Also, running the HPL EC with VRP kills the cost advantage of VRP. You can get 3x 5qt jugs of VRP for the cost of a case (6x 1qt) of HPL EC. Both have their uses, but for cars running sub-5k OCIs, it only makes financial sense to use store shelf oils.

I'm running HPL EC30 at 20% in my VRP - I've noticed (I wished I photoed) a good amount of varnish removal in my 4AGE in the AW11\Mr2.

I didn't know initially this would be a thing or I would have taken before photos. Coming up this year I hope to pull the valve covers to refinish them while I do some other Maintenace. I'll gather photos then. I got this 87 AW11\MR2 in October of last year - its in good shape but there was a good covering of Varnish everywhere and some crunchy crud around the head.

Are you running those all together? Just curious because that's a lot of different chemistry.
Its a precautionary measure, the old oil is being flushed with BG EPR give initial deposit removal & piston cleaning a head start, the 44K is for the gas fill to clean injectors and combustion chamber. I added only half a quart of HPL EC30 with the Valvoline R&P to give it a small boost in solvency, which is about 13 percent out of the total 4 quart fill. She will be returning for a PCV valve service later on so I'll be able to report some progress before the next oil change is up.

I put on a wire backed Fram FS9688 so it should be plenty of capacity to take the load until her next service, should the Valvoline + HPL combo cleans aggressively than expected.

I imagine it is ok since the 44k is for the fuel and the EPR is prior to changing the oil. So should just be R&P and HPL in the sump at the same time. Quite the combo though!
Correct, thank you.

I wonder how the HPL EC and R&P would play together. I don't think it will be an issue.

I'd stick with one product at a time. But you got me thinking........... ;)

Chemistry clash. IF VRP needed esters, it would have had it already.
Valid concerns.

Would it speed up cleaning on a vehicle to warrant early filter changes? Would it make each less effective?

I personally wouldn’t use this sort of oil with its supposed unique chemistry with a separate ester boosted cleaner. Who knows what the end result performance would be towards the purpose of these products. It’s a guess.

They probably work best on their own. If one wants to use HPL EC, maybe pair with an oil not supposedly also very good at cleaning?

For example, would there be any point to adding the HPL EC to HPL fully formulated oil?🤔

What would be the point.

Last edited:
Back