Valvoline Restore & Protect

As I was typing this out I thought of something that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's clearly not temperature dependent. The piston rings are obviously much hotter than the valvetrain.
It occurred to me that cleaning the piston rings would likely reduce engine blow-by which would reduce GDI intake valve deposits. So perhaps R&P may help that... If it does what it claims

Great to hear it is working for you! The consumption improvement is such a big deal.

My logical brain doesn't believe an oil changes fuel economy to any measurable amount, but I thought mine went up as well lol.
I honestly believe it has helped the rings enough in just a few thousand miles to make a difference in the fuel economy. Nothing else has changed. I have replaced no parts during this time. I haven’t even adjusted tire pressure during this time.

It occurred to me that cleaning the piston rings would likely reduce engine blow-by which would reduce GDI intake valve deposits. So perhaps R&P may help that... If it does what it claims

Used with a P.E.A. based additive ( occasionally ) and Top Tier gas would be more beneficial with the R&P . Especially from day 1 of driving a new car .

It’s a slow cleaner. If you watch the video, they run 4 changes for 90hours. Which they claim is like a 4000 mile interval
Actually the safest thing for any product that does what is claimed like with this one may be a slow clean. Too much danger in running a product that will instantly knock all kind of dangerous junk loose too quickly that potentially can plug oil passages and possibly the filter. But I doubt many of those so called cleaners can work that fast anyway without some kind of really strong , toxic or almost dangerous ingredients.

I've found you can learn things from the 1 out of 5 star reviews on Amazon about products.

For the Valvoline Restore and Protect (See url here),

The 2nd post from the top by TOMMY:
Reviewed in the United States on March 26, 2024
Configuration: 5W-30Size: 5 QTVerified Purchase
I had a bad experience 😭
After a week I put this new oil. The crankshaft seal started leaking oil. If you car have a lot miles don't use. I use same brand of oil full synthetic high mileage.is perfect for cars over 200000 miles.
(OJO) IN MY EXPERIENCE.
10 people found this helpful

So I had previously posted about preferring to use a "tried and true" oil that has been out for several years.
At that moment, I didn't know about any potential defects with Valvoline Restore and Protect.
I am not saying this 1 negative Amazon review implies a defect, but since this oil forumulation is so new,
it is possible that maybe an unintended side effect of using it could be causing engine seal leaks.

I'd rather have some varnish in my engine than oil stains on my driveway.

Just something to consider before you rush to use this new oil formulation.

You will find similar reviews on any product out there coincidence doesn't mean correlation.
That could have happened with super tech oil as well
It could, but since Valvoline Restore and Protect has a new cleaning formulation, and this person experienced new oil seal leaks a week after using it, it's anybodies guess if there is a correlation, but I'm only posting it in case we see collaborating evidence from other sources.

You will find similar reviews on any product out there coincidence doesn't mean correlation.
That could have happened with super tech oil as well
Yep, especially when oil seal leaking can be from something else entirely. Age, positive crankcase pressure, etc.

It could, but since Valvoline Restore and Protect has a new cleaning formulation, and this person experienced new oil seal leaks a week after using it, it's anybodies guess if there is a correlation, but I'm only posting it in case we see collaborating evidence from other sources.
I developed a coolant leak after my last oil change. ;-)

Yep, especially when oil seal leaking can be from something else entirely. Age, positive crankcase pressure, etc.
I'm just making the case that it might be prudent to wait 6 months, continue using a "tried and true" oil from your stash, and monitor the posts on the Valvoline Restore and Protect for any potential undesired side effects, before rushing to use it.

Last edited:
I'm just making the case that it might be prudent to wait 6 months, continue using a "tried and true" oil, and monitor the posts on the Valvoline Restore and Protect for any potential undesired side effects, before rushing to use it.
It’s an SP from a familiar company - what’s the area of caution …?

It’s an SP from a familiar company - what’s the area of caution …?
It might clean too well and cause oil seal leaks. We have only 1 Amazon review with this issue, but it might be prudent to wait 6 months and monitor the posts to see if this becomes a trend.

Perhaps I'm over cautious.

Back