Valvoline Restore & Protect

I only have about 2,000 miles on the Mobil and I'm probably going to drop it just to put the Valvoline in LOL
I understand the temptation to rush to use this new oil to see how well it cleans.
But after reading the details, Valvoline recommends 4 oil change intervals at manufacturer recommended OCI, which nowadays is typically 10k miles per oil change. So 4 oil changes * 10,000 miles = 40,000 miles. So it's a slow cleaner.

So much can change in 40,000 miles. You might not even own the vehicle in 40k miles from now.

The other thing I like is to always use something that is "tried and true over many years".
This new Valvoline R&P oil formulation is so new, who knows if the chemistry and ingredients have side effects that could hurt the engine over the long term.

I have a big stash for next 3+ years of low priced full synthetic high mileage 5W-30.
Will monitor these types of threads for a while to see how the Valvoline R&P turns out, but I plan to play it safe with tried and true oils.

Last edited:
In the LSJ video they show this improvement in just 4k miles.

1719010088304.jpg

IMG_1499.jpeg

3000 miles in and apparently it has completely stopped the light oil consumption in my N55. By this time I would’ve been adding a liter of LiquiMoly to this engine.

Also, maybe it’s just because it’s summer, but I’m averaging just over 22MPG. Which is not bad for a small SUV that also happens to weigh 5000lbs.

I understand the temptation to rush to use this new oil to see how well it cleans.
But after reading the details, Valvoline recommends 4 oil change intervals at manufacturer recommended OCI, which nowadays is typically 10k miles per oil change. So 4 oil changes * 10,000 miles = 40,000 miles. So it's a slow cleaner.
They have to recommend something that will cover worse case scenarios. Early indication is people are seeing result part way through the first use of the product. As time goes on, the people using it will be giving real use feedback info.

This new Valvoline R&P oil formulation is so new, who knows if the chemistry and ingredients have side effects that could hurt the engine over the long term.
I think Valvoline or any other similar big name formulator and tester has enough experience to know if the oil is "safe to use". When's the last time you've seen a big name oil maker put out a product that causes issues when used as recommended by the maker?

Isn't that what Valvoline's "Modern Engine" oil was supposed to do? I don't remember the Lake Speed youtube mentioning GDI intake valve deposit reduction. Just pistons/rings.
They mention it briefly in the video. But don't say much about it... Carbon is carbon doesn't matter where it is. It's probably a marketing thing. Clearly it's cleaning parts of the engine, in previous posts, that aren't just piston rings.

🤞. Wonder if removing the PCV valve ( especially D.I. ) to see if gunky before using R&P and then check it for cleanliness somewhere down the road ;) . That's if possible . :unsure:

I just took it out about 2 months ago and cleaned it... Only put 2k miles on it since then. So I can't really test that haha. It should be pretty clean still

They mention it briefly in the video. But don't say much about it... Carbon is carbon doesn't matter where it is. It's probably a marketing thing. Clearly it's cleaning parts of the engine, in previous posts, that aren't just piston rings.
As I was typing this out I thought of something that hasn't been mentioned yet. It's clearly not temperature dependent. The piston rings are obviously much hotter than the valvetrain.

So much can change in 40,000 miles. You might not even own the vehicle in 40k miles from now.

The other thing I like is to always use something that is "tried and true over many years".

I have a big stash for next 3+ years of low priced full synthetic high mileage 5W-30.
Will monitor these types of threads for a while to see how the Valvoline R&P turns out, but I plan to play it safe with tried and true oils.

Yeah folks are seeing results during the first oil change.

The 4 oil changes is to make pistons "factory clean." It's not going to take factory clean to fix a small issue with the rings.

It may have been a mistake to do the four oil change thing as part of the marketing cause I've seen it mentioned multiple times. They probably wanted to encourage people to stay with the product though, rather than use it once and go back to their old favorite.

View attachment 226246
3000 miles in and apparently it has completely stopped the light oil consumption in my N55. By this time I would’ve been adding a liter of LiquiMoly to this engine.

Also, maybe it’s just because it’s summer, but I’m averaging just over 22MPG. Which is not bad for a small SUV that also happens to weigh 5000lbs.

Great to hear it is working for you! The consumption improvement is such a big deal.

My logical brain doesn't believe an oil changes fuel economy to any measurable amount, but I thought mine went up as well lol.

Great to hear it is working for you! The consumption improvement is such a big deal.

My logical brain doesn't believe an oil changes fuel economy to any measurable amount, but I thought mine went up as well lol.
I suppose it could do if it helped with sticking piston rings etc and reduced blowby and reduce crank breather vapours (which are known to cause timing to be pulled if they are too high).

View attachment 226246

How much oil is light consumption?

They have to recommend something that will cover worse case scenarios. Early indication is people are seeing result part way through the first use of the product. As time goes on, the people using it will be giving real use feedback info.
Good point. Would it be advisable to use a higher capacity oil filter (like Fram Ultra or Endurance) to catch all the "dirt" that Valvoline Restore and Pretect is removing?

Good point. Would it be advisable to use a higher capacity oil filter (like Fram Ultra or Endurance) to catch all the "dirt" that Valvoline Restore and Pretect is removing?
That’s my strategy, at least for the first OCI or two. Ultra isn’t that much more than Tough Guard at Walmart, at least for my vehicles, so my wallet isn’t hurting from the extra insurance.

(I understand the temptation to rush to use this new oil to see how well it cleans.
But after reading the details, Valvoline recommends 4 oil change intervals at manufacturer recommended OCI, which nowadays is typically 10k miles per oil change. So 4 oil changes * 10,000 miles = 40,000 miles. So it's a slow cleaner.)

I haven't even bought the Valvoline R&P
I bought the Valvoline EP I will not run no 10,000 mile oil interval.. my vehicle recommends 5K I do about 3 or 4K I like to make sure things are clean..

(I understand the temptation to rush to use this new oil to see how well it cleans.
But after reading the details, Valvoline recommends 4 oil change intervals at manufacturer recommended OCI, which nowadays is typically 10k miles per oil change. So 4 oil changes * 10,000 miles = 40,000 miles. So it's a slow cleaner.)

I haven't even bought the Valvoline R&P
I bought the Valvoline EP I will not run no 10,000 mile oil interval.. my vehicle recommends 5K I do about 3 or 4K I like to make sure things are clean..

I think you are assuming incorrectly. Nowhere does Valvoline say that it takes 40,000 miles to reach full cleanliness here. I would be willing to bet that they probably assume four 5000 mile oil changes so that would mean 20,000 miles, and that would also likely be in the worst case scenario where an engine needs a lot of help. And as it’s beginning it’s cleaning you should begin to see improvements in the first interval, as some have reported that consumption improved during that first interval.

I think you are assuming incorrectly. Nowhere does Valvoline say that it takes 40,000 miles to reach full cleanliness here. I would be willing to bet that they probably assume four 5000 mile oil changes so that would mean 20,000 miles, and that would also likely be in the worst case scenario where an engine needs a lot of help. And as it’s beginning it’s cleaning you should begin to see improvements in the first interval, as some have reported that consumption improved during that first interval.
I didn't say 20,000 miles, another gentleman up there did Bill7, I was just quoting his message..

🤞. Wonder if removing the PCV valve ( especially D.I. ) to see if gunky before using R&P and then check it for cleanliness somewhere down the road ;) . That's if possible . :unsure:
I checked the PCV in our GDI-T car last summer and it was a tiny bit "wet" with oil mist but NOT plugged or dirty at all as suspected?
Installed a new one anyway.

Back