Valvoline Restore & Protect

So per Valvoline, this oil uses a specific new additive technology. It's not done through the use of esters like their Premium Restore Cummins product. They also said that anything the oil comes in contact with it will clean. My thinking this oil could theoretically clean intake valves.

It cleans by dissolving carbon slowly is what they say.
I just changed my GDI-only Lexus 2.5 V6 over to it. That engine is infamous for GDI carboning (even had a major recall/TSB for it).

I have 180k on the engine, we'll see what this stuff can do.

Switched my 2023 Mazda CX-5 over to 0-20 Restore and Protect. I'm sure there isn't much cleaning to do, But it's nice to think the engine is being protected. I only have 15,000 miles on the car.

I've got it in my 09 Accord with 278,000 miles on the clock.....If it is in fact cleaning, I would think the oil on the dipstick would darken quicker than in the past..... We shall see, only about 600 miles on the oil so far

Thanks for posting these photos. I recently bought some R&P to try. I'll see if I get similar results in the top end of my 2008 Mazda MX-5.
One thing I noticed about the Valvoline R&P is that it has a distinctive odor. It isn't an offensive odor, but I haven't noticed an odor when I've opened other oils I've used recently (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Shell Gas Truck, Castrol Edge).
I've noticed the same about R&P's smell. I characterize it as burnt rubber, personally. Not awful, but it's just different.

"Traditionally the role of engine oil has been to slow down engine deposit development, but in concocting its latest engine-protecting blend, the Valvoline team stumbled upon something… surprising."

“There are some deposits that are temporary that you can wipe off with your finger, and there are others that can get very thick,” explained Dr. Michael Warholic, global technology director, Valvoline Global Operations

“We were trying to basically minimize deposits, engine wear, friction and heat, and oil formulation is a balance, so you have to pick and choose what you want it to do,” Warholic says. “What we didn’t know was before the testing that it would remove and reverse the process – that is something you can’t predict by modeling. Restore and Protect removed engine deposits. I had never seen anything like it before, and I have eight years at Valvoline and 16 years at a company that makes the additives used in oil formulation.”

Yup, as I've said before, the goal of the API approvals is not to keep your engine deposit-free, it's to keep the rate of deposit formation at an acceptable level.

I've got it in my 09 Accord with 278,000 miles on the clock.....If it is in fact cleaning, I would think the oil on the dipstick would darken quicker than in the past..... We shall see, only about 600 miles on the oil so far
Anecdotally, after 600 Miles of use in my 270,6XX-mile Audi A4 3.2 Avant the Valvoline Restore and Protect has taken on a distinctly red-orange tint. I am speculating based on what can be observed through the oil port baffle that the accumulated varnish is being washed away and tinting the oil.

Having performed several engine flushes in the past, along with regular use of PEA cleaners in the fuel system, and having run HPL Motor oils for over 10,000 miles I’ll assume carbon and sludge deposits are at a minimum at this point and darkening will not be rapid (in the case of this car).

Question: If an engine had significant varnish visible when removing the valve cover, how long (in terms of miles) would Valvoline Restore and Protect take to clean off all the varnish so that metal would be shiny silver color?

Question: If an engine had significant varnish visible when removing the valve cover, how long (in terms of miles) would Valvoline Restore and Protect take to clean off all the varnish so that metal would be shiny silver color?
It's impossible to answer that. You have to run it. It will vary by how bad it is and how long the OCI's are.

It's impossible to answer that. You have to run it. It will vary by how bad it is and how long the OCI's are.
From all available information that we have, which oil would clean varnish faster and more completely:

[1] An Ester + AN based Group V Synthetic

or

[2] Valvoline Restore and Protect.

Back