Valvoline Restore & Protect

I wonder if they'll do a thicker version of it. Say a 5w-40 or a 0w-40 for in Europe. I'd love to use it in my HDi Peugeot engine. Is it only designed for petrol? Or do you think it'd work on a non-dpf diesel engine?

I wonder if they'll do a thicker version of it. Say a 5w-40 or a 0w-40 for in Europe. I'd love to use it in my HDi Peugeot engine. Is it only designed for petrol? Or do you think it'd work on a non-dpf diesel engine?

Right now its not even sold in Europe, so guess we will find out later.
Also lacks ACEA spec and cert/approvals for diesel engines, as far as I can tell atleast.

It is not diesel compatible at all currently.

Right now its not even sold in Europe, so guess we will find out later.
Also lacks ACEA spec and cert/approvals for diesel engines, as far as I can tell atleast.

It is not diesel compatible at all currently.

Yeah. That's a shame! I imagine it'd do a good job of cleaning up old contaminated piston rings on diesels. Hopefully they have some plan in the future to try and expand. I know OpieOils (UK Oil supplier) is trying to get hold of it to stock it in the UK which is a good start.

Last edited:
I'm going to be giving R&P a try on a previously ring flushed '17 Audi Q3. It was using about 2 quarts in 500 miles. Post flush, at 3000 miles from a quick change shop I was finally able to check the oil which was at the bottom of the dipstick. If they had it full, I'd say 2-2.5 quarts in 3000 miles a huge improvement from the flush. I think I'm going to change the oil and check it at 1000 miles then try the five mile 4000 rpm ring fling. I'm going to try to document it, but the owner is a bit of a flake.

Did a valve adjustment and gaskets/plug seals on my 04 TL. There was some heavy varnish on the front valvetrain, dirty PCV side. It's been about 1k mi since and I'm seeing very similar results to @Fa24wrx . The fasteners were previously all deep honey colored or brown, but I'm beginning to see bright silver zinc. The oil that pools in the recess on the hex heads has suspended grime that has been cleaned from the metal. Springs, rockers, casting, and dipstick are all brightening/cleaning up also.

Recent pic and before during valve adjustment

Screenshot_20240616-120700.jpg

markup_1000006550.jpg

Did a valve adjustment and gaskets/plug seals on my 04 TL. There was some heavy varnish on the front valvetrain, dirty PCV side. It's been about 1k mi since and I'm seeing very similar results to @Fa24wrx . The fasteners were previously all deep honey colored or brown, but I'm beginning to see bright silver zinc. The oil that pools in the recess on the hex heads has suspended grime that has been cleaned from the metal. Springs, rockers, casting, and dipstick are all brightening/cleaning up also.
What is ur OCI and previous oil used?

What is ur OCI and previous oil used?
2nd owner here. Previous owner was a family friend and did all dealer service for 127k

It's rolling over 169k now. While I've had it, it's been M1 EP or EP-HM at 5k intervals. That's usually about 20% remaining on the OLM. Also did a BG EPR treatment about 5k ago when I noticed some startup smoking. Never had any measurable oil loss, but smoking is now gone. The PCV valve was also changed.

Since changing to the R&P, I noticed a strong smell on startup if it sits a few days. Since the start of the year, this car has turned into my run around beater and is mostly short tripped or sits for a few days at a time.

I'm impressed with what I'm seeing on it, and will continue use for at least 4 OCIs. Goal is to max out the life of the engine and still original 5AT.

"Traditionally the role of engine oil has been to slow down engine deposit development, but in concocting its latest engine-protecting blend, the Valvoline team stumbled upon something… surprising."

“There are some deposits that are temporary that you can wipe off with your finger, and there are others that can get very thick,” explained Dr. Michael Warholic, global technology director, Valvoline Global Operations

“We were trying to basically minimize deposits, engine wear, friction and heat, and oil formulation is a balance, so you have to pick and choose what you want it to do,” Warholic says. “What we didn’t know was before the testing that it would remove and reverse the process – that is something you can’t predict by modeling. Restore and Protect removed engine deposits. I had never seen anything like it before, and I have eight years at Valvoline and 16 years at a company that makes the additives used in oil formulation.”

Thanks for posting these photos. I recently bought some R&P to try. I'll see if I get similar results in the top end of my 2008 Mazda MX-5.
One thing I noticed about the Valvoline R&P is that it has a distinctive odor. It isn't an offensive odor, but I haven't noticed an odor when I've opened other oils I've used recently (Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Shell Gas Truck, Castrol Edge).

Back