Valvoline Restore & Protect

Thank you 👍 I appreciate your input.. @MolaKule obviously you have a lot of knowledge, in regards to this.. What kind of oil do you use?
I asked him the same question a little while back in a different thread. He blends his own oil although he has used many different off the shelf oils over the years.

RP pcmo has some esters in it (5w-30) ,was told by a phone call i made to them,seems like a good oil ,not sure why it gets down played here.
Not sure either. I know that if I owned a vehicle with excess oil consumption, I'd try this first.
Excess oil consumption has always been FIRST attributed to a stuck/plugged oil rings on the piston, and judging from the photos I've seen, this oil works in exactly that area.
Seems to me that it would sure be easier than a piston soak!

Not sure either. I know that if I owned a vehicle with excess oil consumption, I'd try this first.
Excess oil consumption has always been FIRST attributed to a stuck/plugged oil rings on the piston, and judging from the photos I've seen, this oil works in exactly that area.
Seems to me that it would sure be easier than a piston soak!
I'd use it for my Mercedes if out of warranty and sludged up for one or two OCIs

I'd use it for my Mercedes if out of warranty and sludged up for one or two OCIs
No sludge here on my 2018, but it's been on a steady diet of Ravenol VST since I've owned it. Unfortunately I am not inclined to pay $70.00+ for 5L of the stuff in the future, so yeah, I'm looking for a replacement.
Zero oil consumption.

A guy who I worked with just dumped the R&P on his 2017 2.4l Equinox that just hit 100k. 3k on the oil and there was actually a pretty good amount of carbon chucks in the M1 filter. Much more than I expected to see. Must be doing something!
That is not possible Valvoline can't do that.

Being realistic though, it does seem to be working for those who are actually using it instead of those just hating on it.

I've love to know if this oil can help clean intake valves on GDI engines. Thoughts?
According to the design of the GDI engines , the only way I can see any oil help to keep the valves clean is by actually NOT doing anything. In other words, the oil has to be of a quality with very low NOACK to prevent those oil vapors to getting all over the valves / stems to begin with. There also appears to be no product, as far as fuel system cleaners etc that can really do anything for the valves since the fuel is directly injected.

Still use Top Tier for a few extra cents . Also , sometimes run a 10 or 12 ounce bottle of TECHRON C.F.S.C. with T.T. gas before O.C..

Last edited:
Tempted to try it on my K20 Track car. I just had the head off and it could use a little cleaning in there..

Wish they had a thicker weight though.

Still use Top Tier for a few extra cents . Also , sometimes run a 10 or 12 ounce bottle of TECHRON C.F.S.C. with T.T. gas before O.C..
Oh yes, "top tier" fuel for me. I try my best to use Shell or Exxon since both are available in the area. I also do , on occassion run a can of Techron or Berryman thru the gas tanks to keep injectors clean and to remove any possible h2o that can accumulate in fuel tanks (during the colder weather) especially since we put so little miles on our vehicles. Honestly that is all I can think to do with a GDI turbo car. I do check and clean or replace air filters, PCVs often in our cars. I do run 90+ octane for just about every tank of gas in the GDI car. Wife's GDI-T runs so smooth its funny that we both get out at times and either forget or do not realize the engine is till on! Those "no key" ultra quiet engines. :) I been running my own blend of HPL 1/4 0w20 with 3/4 0w30 during the hot weather. Cant wait to run my next sample thru O/ALabs just for fun to see if the fuel % or anything else has changed. I really do not expect to see much difference. Car runs so well all I can do is the little minor things in an to attempt to get as long mi/life out of it as we have done with the other Accords.

According to the design of the GDI engines , the only way I can see any oil help to keep the valves clean is by actually NOT doing anything. In other words, the oil has to be of a quality with very low NOACK to prevent those oil vapors to getting all over the valves / stems to begin with. There also appears to be no product, as far as fuel system cleaners etc that can really do anything for the valves since the fuel is directly injected.
I don't think that we're talking about valves here, just piston rings, and specifically, the lower part of the piston which includes the oil ring and drain holes and possibly the middle compression ring.

I don't think that we're talking about valves here, just piston rings, and specifically, the lower part of the piston which includes the oil ring and drain holes and possibly the middle compression ring.
Good / great oils and the dedicated practice of keeping up with regular oil changes can usually can prevent those things. Sometimes though the design of the engines can make it harder to prevent some things. What we all have in our favor these days is almost every oil you can find is so advanced that we really should not find ourselves dealing with internal engine issues. Good gas / oil can only help.

Back