Valvoline Restore & Protect

The mobil video above is interesting, their lab looks great. I also went back and re-watched the early 90s million mile BMW and 00s Mercedes million kilometer mobil test, to look at the pistons. Hard to see them in the low quality uploads that exist, but they look pretty good.

Mobil 1 does seem to keep your pistons pretty clean, but again many of us of us interested in Restore and Protect are hoping to actively clean up deposits already there.
Doesn't Mobil "claim" to do that as well?

Doesn't Mobil "claim" to do that as well?

I believe at one time or another I've seen them mention that it will clean up your engine. I'm not sure if I've ever seen them call out pistons though. The current marketing I read leaned towards simply keeping your engine clean. They go pretty conservative in many of their claims.

It claims on their website, it will clean sludge in one oil change..

Stop engine sludge in its tracks
Mobil 1 motor oils clean up virtually all engine sludge in just one oil change – keeping your oil flowing like it should.

Mobil 1 contains a uniquely balanced additive system for outstanding protection against deposits and sludge for a cleaner engine.
In laboratory tests, we switched an American vehicle and European vehicle, which had been running with conventional mineral oil to Mobil 1.

Following 14,000 miles of driving with Mobil 1 at recommended oil drain intervals, the vehicles returned to near showroom levels of cleanliness.

It claims on their website, it will clean sludge in one oil change..

Stop engine sludge in its tracks
Mobil 1 motor oils clean up virtually all engine sludge in just one oil change – keeping your oil flowing like it should.

Mobil 1 contains a uniquely balanced additive system for outstanding protection against deposits and sludge for a cleaner engine.
In laboratory tests, we switched an American vehicle and European vehicle, which had been running with conventional mineral oil to Mobil 1.

Following 14,000 miles of driving with Mobil 1 at recommended oil drain intervals, the vehicles returned to near showroom levels of cleanliness.
They all say they will clean sludge, because it's not difficult to remove. There have been a few instances, like with the FS 0W-40, where Mobil says the oil will actually clean, but this is not universal across the product lines.

They all say they will clean sludge, because it's not difficult to remove. There have been a few instances, like with the FS 0W-40, where Mobil says the oil will actually clean, but this is not universal across the product lines.
Ok. Thank you.. they should actually clarify that. LOL 😂, Maybe I will give R&P a try considering I don't know what my Pistons look like.

My take away from this notoriously long, long thread…

1) We all have way, way, way too much spare time on our hands .. :LOL:

2) Some people really can’t stand Valvoline.

3) Others really like Valvoline.

4) Some want undisputed proof of cleaning.

5) Some believe cleaning will happen just because someone from Valvoline said it will happen.

My opinion….

I think Valvoline is trying to market a new oil that may or may not prove to be a real game changer. Time, tear downs and results will bear that out over time.

I like Valvoline and currently running their Extended Performance Full Synthetic high mileage oil in the lady’s RAV 4 right now. I think we all have a very good number of really good oils to choose from in which to run. Nothing wrong with having lots of good options available.

I went ahead and placed an order for 6 quarts of Valvoline Extended Protection, and decided to bump it up to 5W30
The peer pressure must have been overwhelming. ;) I'm sure you'll like it ... same stuff going into the Coyote next oil change, currently has Valvoline Advanced, but "stepping it up" with Extended Protection.

The peer pressure must have been overwhelming. ;) I'm sure you'll like it ... same stuff going into the Coyote next oil change, currently has Valvoline Advanced, but "stepping it up" with Extended Protection.
That's it I couldn't take the peer pressure no more, I just had to do it, 🤣🤣😂 I'm probably just going to run a Wix or Purolator filter. How about you?

I've love to know if this oil can help clean intake valves on GDI engines. Thoughts?

Back