Valvoline Restore & Protect

Whenever you see Moly in the higher ppm range you can figure it’s dimer.

Trimer works really well in smaller concentrations you usually see it in premium products at around 80 ppm.
Thank you KC for your response.. but if that's the case, how come you see higher concentrations of Moly in Amsoil as well, and that's a premium product?

Does my engine have to be running for these additives to function? Or will residual oil, which has bonded to components, clean when I am tucked in bed at night?
I would think any time parts are coated/wet with the oil that it would be doing something, unless it needs heat to be effective. Wonder if Valvoline Tech Support would have an answer.

We need Dr. @MolaKule's expertise here. Can both types be effectively used at the same time? Also I'm curious why molybdenum is overall preferred over tungsten? It's a fascinating subject for sure and maybe we can get updated with some of the latest literature on this
Both types can be used but why pay the extra cost for both, if both types do the same thing? Much depends on the type of MolyDTC and as to which one balaces the formula (i.e., which one works synergistically or antagonistcally with other additive compounds) and provides sufficient friction modifcation and wear reduction.

The Dialkylammonium Tungstate process, to make it soluble in lubricants, is more expensive than synthesizing MoDTC.

Thank you 👍 I appreciate your input.. @MolaKule obviously you have a lot of knowledge, in regards to this.. What kind of oil do you use?

Last edited:
Does my engine have to be running for these additives to function? Or will residual oil, which has bonded to components, clean when I am tucked in bed at night?
I would suspect a little of both... As someone mentioned if a component is coated, but I also would suspect that certain chemical/element reactions have a heat and time domain that has to happen for the intended reaction to take place. In this case the reaction would be various elements of your Add-Pak working as intended.

People forget about the Valvoline product in the red bottle called Maxlife ATF, which is a pretty darn good product IMHO.

I wish I did not have such a large stash, I would use it. I may buy a jug a try it on the 3.7L Acura that still has varnish after 30K miles of trying every concoction in the book to see if it makes a difference.
Agreed!

Furthermore,
MAXLIFE oil in itself was a stellar product! People also seem to forget how many praised VWB UOA's used to float around this site.
My goodness, circa 2009-2011 ish this site was full of VWB and PYB (Valv. White Bottle, Pennzoil Yellow Bottle) praise and defense. The oil still proved to be stellar enough that it was still highly recommended in the era of upcoming synthetics. We are truly dealing with a company that has a long history of good products. Everyone flops every now and then, but none the less.

I find myself currious about these piston deposits that R&P claims to clean. What causes them? Would a hybrid or PHEV be more or less prone to accumulating these deposits given that they run less but start and stop more?

I find myself currious about these piston deposits that R&P claims to clean. What causes them? Would a hybrid or PHEV be more or less prone to accumulating these deposits given that they run less but start and stop more?
I say More, LOL.
The Horse Race, well the preview stuff is on, and they just had a Commercial about this Oil, I heard the Commercial but did not see it, since I am looking at BITOG!

I say More, LOL.
My instincts say less, but I wouldn't have asked if were sure about that. The PHEV in my signature is two months and 1500 miles into ists current tank of gas having consumed about six gallons. Most of that consumption occured on the date of the last fill in West Virginia driving home to SE PA. Given my daily driving habbits the ICE won't start again until the next long road trip. I am not sure if Valvoline R&P would be of any benefit to me. If I follow the owner's manual the next oil change will occur in August 2025.

What bothers me the most about this oil is that there is no claim of "Guaranteed to protect for xx,xxx miles as is comon on other premium oils.

What bothers me the most about this oil is that there is no claim of "Guaranteed to protect for xx,xxx miles as is comon on other premium oils.

There are too many variables for them to determine how long this oil can run. For instance if the engine is very dirty you might only be able to run it for 3-5k. If you are using it in a newer engine that needs no cleaning, maybe it’s good for 10-15k.

The mobil video above is interesting, their lab looks great. I also went back and re-watched the early 90s million mile BMW and 00s Mercedes million kilometer mobil test, to look at the pistons. Hard to see them in the low quality uploads that exist, but they look pretty good.

Mobil 1 does seem to keep your pistons pretty clean, but again many of us of us interested in Restore and Protect are hoping to actively clean up deposits already there.

Back