Valvoline Restore & Protect

So, my brother has a 2009 nissan versa with 178kmiles that got passed down from my dad, to my sister, to my other brother, and now the youngest. They think it's been over 6 months since last oil change but they don't know when it was. They do one of those crappy quick lube and my dad says it's like 30$, so I'm thinking they use conventional?

Any way, I'll be doing the oil changes for a bit. Going to use Valvoline R&P with short intervals for a few changes.

View attachment 217818

View attachment 217819

View attachment 217820
Screenshot_20240530_155343_Chrome.jpg

Ignore the red circle. But it obviously works. This is 19 days in

No doubt Valvoline has a darn good marketing budget. But the two guys in the video were 100% not salesman by any stretch of the imagination. They even stated they could not believe their eyes and had to run the test multiple times. Those guys are lab rats and probably said a little to much to be honest(discovered by accident). I’ll be giving R&P a shot in an oil burner next oci.

I would compare the press release between the release of this product and "Modern Engine."

Modern Engine is much more on the side of clever marketing. I'm sure it was a good product in its own right, but the claims in it were much weaker with less backing it up.

They go pretty specific on what makes this one so good.

What I keep wondering? For those of us on the side of believing Valvoline, how long until Shell/XOM and others try to match it?

I don't shill for any corporation - you won't find that in my post history.

I will say - that if Valvoline did invent some magic oil (That I have in my AW11 right now dealing with lots of varnish and build up, full disclosure) that I do understand - if the engineers can create the results we've been told about - why marketing would do a huge push.

Imagine you or your company stumbled into something unique, or different that has a profound observable impact according to your engineering core. You'd push the hell out of it too, although I completely understand the skeptics, as we've all been told about magic pills, bottles, solutions additives etc. Time will tell.

AS SEEN ON TV - TIRED OF HAVING TO CHANGE YOUR OIL? OIL MESS GET EVERYWHERE?! - Introducing the Bicycle! /Sarcasm

There are still things we don't know about the oil. But so far from everything we've seen, it looks legit.

For longer drains I'd still go with HPL, Amsoil or M1 EP. Will keep engines extremely clean.

Last edited:
People forget about the Valvoline product in the red bottle called Maxlife ATF, which is a pretty darn good product IMHO.

I wish I did not have such a large stash, I would use it. I may buy a jug a try it on the 3.7L Acura that still has varnish after 30K miles of trying every concoction in the book to see if it makes a difference.

I don't shill for any corporation - you won't find that in my post history.

I will say - that if Valvoline did invent some magic oil (That I have in my AW11 right now dealing with lots of varnish and build up, full disclosure) that I do understand - if the engineers can create the results we've been told about - why marketing would do a huge push.

Imagine you or your company stumbled into something unique, or different that has a profound observable impact according to your engineering core. You'd push the hell out of it too, although I completely understand the skeptics, as we've all been told about magic pills, bottles, solutions additives etc. Time will tell.

AS SEEN ON TV - TIRED OF HAVING TO CHANGE YOUR OIL? OIL MESS GET EVERYWHERE?! - Introducing the Bicycle! /Sarcasm
I don’t understand it. I cannot imagine going about life thinking everything and everyone is trying to con me. Healthy skepticism is good. Like saying “time will tell” is perfectly fine. It is reserving judgment until you can verify results yourself or see more evidence. Totally reasonable. But some people came out the gate with it’s just marketing or this is a go nowhere product that’ll be on the clearance shelf soon.

That to me is not skepticism. That is more nihilistic and that isn’t healthy IMO.

I don’t understand it. I cannot imagine going about life thinking everything and everyone is trying to con me. Healthy skepticism is good. Like saying “time will tell” is perfectly fine. It is reserving judgment until you can verify results yourself or see more evidence. Totally reasonable. But some people came out the gate with it’s just marketing or this is a go nowhere product that’ll be on the clearance shelf soon.

That to me is not skepticism. That is more nihilistic and that isn’t healthy IMO.
True, but this is also the interbutts right? Maybe people put on that face but in real life don't believe or act in that manor. Sometimes people want to be the ones that said "I told you so" - I think it's silly but to each their own provolone.

This past weekend I saw a new TV ad on R&P. It was a nice ad. To me it shows they think they have something special here and are promoting it big time. Why would they put this much effort behind lies. Valvoline has always been a stand u

There are still things we don't know about the oil. But so far from everything we've seen, it looks legit.

For longer drains I'd still go with HPL, Amsoil or M1 EP. Will keep engines extremely clean.

Don't forget P.U.P..:)

Last edited:
Has anyone else that's bought it had a problem with leaking Jugs? I bought some from the local walmart to try out (In my commuter car now), two of the jugs on the shelf were leaking and I noticed when I made it to checkout the jug I had was weeping from the cap. I'm guessing from me holding it by the handle to carry it to the checkout.

Has anyone else that's bought it had a problem with leaking Jugs? I bought some from the local walmart to try out (In my commuter car now), two of the jugs on the shelf were leaking and I noticed when I made it to checkout the jug I had was weeping from the cap. I'm guessing from me holding it by the handle to carry it to the checkout.
Not here. I’ve bought 5 jugs from Walmart so far and 0 leaks.

I understand they are 2 different types of Moly, has anyone ever asked Valvoline, what kind Moly they use in their oil?

I guess most of the oil companies use dimer, except Pennzoil and Mobil, since "I Think" they are the only two that have low amounts of Moly.

Six-(6) Jugs from Walmart here, four-(4) bought off shelf at store, two-(2) shipped.

Zero-(0) leaks.

Edit: I appreciate the design of the Valvoline 5-quart Jug’s air vent which eases pouring and eliminates glugging. The vent reminds me the design used on proper 20L NATO Jerry Cans. Very effective.

Last edited:
Back