Valvoline Restore & Protect

When's the last time you've seen a big name oil maker put out a product that causes issues when used as recommended by the maker?
It's rare, but it DOES happen. This is the only one I'm aware of, and it is for an aviation product produced by Mobil. There were fatal accidents directly attributed to the use of Mobil Av-1 aviation oil.

I may try the 5W30 in the Kia just because of Hyundai/Kia's history with engines. I may also move the Tundra and RX 350 to it after I use up my stash of Mobil 1 FS 0W40. It checks off all the boxes as far as being thicker than the 0W20, it is designed to keep pistons and rings clean which I hope along with 5K mile OCIs helps the Kia rings stay clean, and it otherwise meets the certs required for all three vehicles. Is it a game changer in my three vehicles that likely have spotless internals anyway? Nope. Would Mobil 1 EP do just as well? Sure. Would that be any fun? No.
I use M1 5W30 in my ‘17 Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine which uses about 1 quart of oil over a 4K mile / 6 month OCI. Not sure why this engine uses oil when my MPFI engine vehicles don’t burn a drop of oil over the same OCI with the same oil ? No Valvoline R&P at my WM yet , so will say with M1 EP oil plus a bottle of Rislone (designed to do similar ring / piston cleaning I believe) .

Going in the mother-in-law’s Ford Edge sludgemonster with 114k miles on the clock. The only vehicle in my life I’ve seen chunks of “stuff” appear as the oil was drained— I was not the one maintaining it for the first 80k or so of its life.

Forgot to add…it’s a 2011 with the 3.5 V6.
View attachment 227067

View attachment 227068
You should try maybe running a flush through it, that's a shame that's a good motor.. Except you got to keep an eye on the water pump.

Reactions: 4WD
It's rare, but it DOES happen. This is the only one I'm aware of, and it is for an aviation product produced by Mobil. There were fatal accidents directly attributed to the use of Mobil Av-1 aviation oil.

Published:October 25, 1995 (29 years ago). So not a recent example, and not an automotive oil.

Aviation motor oils are kind of in their own world because they have special requirements.

I read on hear, quite a few people recommending Valvoline Restore & Protect engine oil. With it just coming out, do you have any significant evidence of the claims it makes?
I have read on other forums where it has quieted noisy engines, looking through the valve cover is cleaner, another one is where they used a bore scope on a Toyota engine..
Curious if any of you all seen any evidence..

Thanks..
Valvo. has strange marketing. No extended OCI is quoted, so I guess just use your OLI/MMS, or 10k miles? No seal conditioners, but "it's good for any age engine"? The warranty is probably strangely written, too. Pics show only partial piston cleaning, but no other engine parts claimed.

I passed by this oil at Wally World this morning and thought it might be fun to try it in my 1985 Troy-Bilt Pony rototiller with a 5 HP Briggs flathead. If anything in my fleet needs an internal cleaning it would have to be this. Then my better judgement took hold and asked "do you really need to spend nearly $11 for a quart of 5w-30 oil that is on the thin side for this application, especially in the middle of a heat wave?" Maybe I will give it a try for the fall cleanup and then dump it after the spring tilling. It shouldn't hurt anything so long as it's use is limited to cooler temperatures. Presently this engine runs 15w-40 RT6 synthetic but most of its 39 years were run with PYB or QS SAE 30 conventional.
I was thinking of that kind of thing as well. Does it have a filter on that engine though? I am not sure what may happen to the dirt that it does clear out if it isn't filtered out?

Valid concerns.

Would it speed up cleaning on a vehicle to warrant early filter changes? Would it make each less effective?

I personally wouldn’t use this sort of oil with its supposed unique chemistry with a separate ester boosted cleaner. Who knows what the end result performance would be towards the purpose of these products. It’s a guess.

They probably work best on their own. If one wants to use HPL EC, maybe pair with an oil not supposedly also very good at cleaning?

For example, would there be any point to adding the HPL EC to HPL fully formulated oil?🤔

What would be the point.

We don't know what the active ingredient in restore and protect is, so we can't say what mixing an ester in will do fo the cleaning.

It all depends on the anniline point of the ingredients: how good they are at keeping polar compounds in suspension. POE is extremely good at that, typically. Much better than AN, but it's also more polar itself which is good for cleaning, bad for additive clash. The strongest of the two will dictate how fast and good cleaning is, but once saturated the cleaning stops (or the less effective agent takes over). Not making it to the end of a typical OCI (without overloading either the filter or the oil itself) is a concern with esters in a dirty engine.

So since my original question never got an answer I’ll ask an easier one. Anyone noticed any varnish removal using this new darling oil restore and protect?
I have never used it yet. I have Valvoline EP 5W-30 next. After I drain out the Mobil 1, then I may try R&P. I've been running 5W-20. I have a question for you, I know you run Donaldson filters, have you ever cut one open yet? That's been in service..

I have never used it yet. I have Valvoline EP 5W-30 next. After I drain out the Mobil 1, then I may try R&P. I've been running 5W-20. I have a question for you, I know you run Donaldson filters, have you ever cut one open yet? That's been in service..

I have not to be honest. I have maybe 500~ miles on the one in my daily driver focus. But it’s sitting at home since I’m out in central PA til August. I’ll push the Donaldson to 10k maybe 15k.

So since my original question never got an answer I’ll ask an easier one. Anyone noticed any varnish removal using this new darling oil restore and protect?
Look at the difference in the varnish level on the valve spring and rocker arm.

Has anyone seen a R&P UOA that might provide an indication of it's performance from a wear standpoint?

Last edited:
Look at the difference in the varnish level on the valve spring and rocker arm.

It did some very good cleaning for such little miles, which honestly is in line with what others are experiencing.

All indications currently are that R&P works.

We have a 2018 Audi Q7 that is/was bad at using oil. The Oil Pressure Regulator was recently replaced, and it seems to be doing better though like any good Audi, it continues to use some oil. It is a great car and still runs well. Recently did a mixed driving trip (town/ rural roads/ interstate) of a couple of hundred miles and got 28.6 MPG with me (190 lbs. guy), a couple of kids, and some luggage. Not bad for an SUV of that size. We'll see how it does when we go on vacation adding the wife and her luggage. Her luggage will be the kicker.

I am wondering if I can use some of this in my top-ups to see if maybe it is a ring issue that causes the oil consumption issue.

For the first 90k I was doing dealer oil changes with their oil and top-ups with the recommended oil. Now that AudiCare has ran out, I am trying others to find what works best. Did one more there(that's when I found out that AudiCare was out). I just put LiquiMoly Molygen for the first time at 95K. The digital indicator was showing full for the first maybe 750 miles, then from one day to the next, it went down to maybe 2/3 full. I don't fully trust those indicators, but they give you a decent indication of the level.

Anyway, even though the R&P is 5-30, I don't think there should be a huge issue with mixing a few quarts in until my next change at 100K. I'll probably either alternate top-ups with R&P and Molygen or do two R&P and one Molygen.

Any opinions?

We have a 2018 Audi Q7 that is/was bad at using oil. The Oil Pressure Regulator was recently replaced, and it seems to be doing better though like any good Audi, it continues to use some oil. It is a great car and still runs well. Recently did a mixed driving trip (town/ rural roads/ interstate) of a couple of hundred miles and got 28.6 MPG with me (190 lbs. guy), a couple of kids, and some luggage. Not bad for an SUV of that size. We'll see how it does when we go on vacation adding the wife and her luggage. Her luggage will be the kicker.

I am wondering if I can use some of this in my top-ups to see if maybe it is a ring issue that causes the oil consumption issue.

For the first 90k I was doing dealer oil changes with their oil and top-ups with the recommended oil. Now that AudiCare has ran out, I am trying others to find what works best. Did one more there(that's when I found out that AudiCare was out). I just put LiquiMoly Molygen for the first time at 95K. The digital indicator was showing full for the first maybe 750 miles, then from one day to the next, it went down to maybe 2/3 full. I don't fully trust those indicators, but they give you a decent indication of the level.

Anyway, even though the R&P is 5-30, I don't think there should be a huge issue with mixing a few quarts in until my next change at 100K. I'll probably either alternate top-ups with R&P and Molygen or do two R&P and one Molygen.

Any opinions?
Your Audi requires a Euro ~3.5 HTHS oil. R&P is an ILSAC oil so is too ‘thin’ for your Audi’s engine. Don’t use it.

Your Audi requires a Euro ~3.5 HTHS oil. R&P is an ILSAC oil so is too ‘thin’ for your Audi’s engine. Don’t use it.
Respectfully, do we know the HTHS of VR&P 5W-30 (I admit ignorance if it has been published).

A 2018 Audi Q7 has a factory recommendation to run a VW504.00 motor oil which is usually an SAE 5W-30 with an HTHS >3.5.

I would not hesitate to run a few OCI 5W-30 VR&P in a 2018 Audi Q7. Even if HTHS is below 3.5. However, others may have a different risk assessment and a different opinion/recommendation.

https://360.lubrizol.com/Specificat...≥ 3.5cP),API Group III and Group IV base oils.

Respectfully, do we know the HTHS of VR&P 5W-30 (I admit ignorance if it has been published).

A 2018 Audi Q7 has a factory recommendation to run a VW504.00 motor oil which is usually an SAE 5W-30 with an HTHS >3.5.

I would not hesitate to run a few OCI 5W-30 VR&P in a 2018 Audi Q7. Even if HTHS is below 3.5. However, others may have a different risk assessment and a different opinion/recommendation.

https://360.lubrizol.com/Specifications/Volkswagen/Volkswagen-VW50400-50700#:~:text=VW50400/50700 oils are typically high HTHS (≥ 3.5cP),API Group III and Group IV base oils.
An ILSAC 5w-30 will have a maximum HTHS of 3.5. A 504/507 has a minimum HTHS of 3.5. Very different oils.

Back