Valvoline Restore & Protect

An ILSAC 5w-30 will have a maximum HTHS of 3.5. A 504/507 has a minimum HTHS of 3.5. Very different oils.
No disagreement here.

Respectfully, I ask again, do we know the HTHS of 5W-30 VR&P?

It is understood the ILSAC so-called “energy conserving” requirement makes an HTHS of over 3.3 vanishingly unlikely. Whereas vw504/7 require >3.5.

I, personally, have decided to use 5W-30 VR&P in my 271,xxx-mile 2008 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.2L, knowing it is not a vw502 oil; Six quarts of VR&P supplemented with 1qt of HPL EC SAE 40.

Since the Q7 calls for the Euro 5w-40, I was thinking to that an occasional bottle between oil changes would not damage it as I am not running a full seven quarts of R&P. Y'all have used some letter and numbers that I am not totally familiar with, so I will study that before doing anything.

It seems to be back on using a quart every 1000+ miles or so. Much better than it was before the OPR repair. So, I thought using a quart of the R&P as one or two of the top-up quarts between oil changes (alternating between the R&P and the 5w-40)might offer a little cleaning while not affecting the viscosity too much. Hell, by the time the OCI comes around (if I were to follow Audi's scheduling), I have probably done an oil change. I am not going to wait that long from now on. I think that their OCI recommendation is too long for my liking.

I thank you both for your opinions and welcome more.

why not run R&P at the viscosity recommended by your car specs and use as it is intended, instead of mixing with other oils and viscosity's,,it seems like the formulators at Valvoline may know what's best and how to achieve the proper intended results rather than play backyard chemist.

why not run R&P at the viscosity recommended by your car specs and use as it is intended instead of mixing with other oils and viscositys,,it seems like the formulators at Valvoline may know what's best and how to achive the proper intended results rather than play backyard chemist.
If you're referring to the post above, saying "Since the Q7 calls for the Euro 5w-40, I was thinking to that an occasional bottle" … Valvoline doesn't make R&P in that viscosity nor in a Euro spec.

Since the Q7 calls for the Euro 5w-40, I was thinking to that an occasional bottle between oil changes would not damage it as I am not running a full seven quarts of R&P. Y'all have used some letter and numbers that I am not totally familiar with, so I will study that before doing anything.

It seems to be back on using a quart every 1000+ miles or so. Much better than it was before the OPR repair. So, I thought using a quart of the R&P as one or two of the top-up quarts between oil changes (alternating between the R&P and the 5w-40)might offer a little cleaning while not affecting the viscosity too much. Hell, by the time the OCI comes around (if I were to follow Audi's scheduling), I have probably done an oil change. I am not going to wait that long from now on. I think that their OCI recommendation is too long for my liking.

I thank you both for your opinions and welcome more.
I'd run it for 3k-5k oci with the R&P, just not longer. If you are worried about being a smidgen lighter add bottle of Schaeffer Moly EP or as posted about stp. Those will make them a 40grade.

Back