Valvoline Restore/Protect Isn't Dexos Licensed.

I haven't used a dexos labeled oil in a couple years. When I use any oil labeled dexos in the weight on my oil cap, my car consumed 1 qt every 750 miles. The car had 35k miles on it when we bought it, and went thru oil like nobody's business. Gm sent us a notice to bring the car into a dealer, and they said they were not going to do anything about it. Unless I wanted to pay to have it re-ringed. So I have been using 10/40 wt oil to slow down the consumption, and that works. It's way out of warranty , but now it only has 88k miles on it. I'll never own another GM car again.,,
Please don't keep your vehicle make, model and engine a secret.
If you allow me a guess, I'd say you are speaking of the 2012-2017 Equinox with 2.4 engine.

Every major manufacturer has at least one mass produced engine that drinks oil. So when shopping next time, do a lengthy Google Search for history on what vehicle interests you most.

You do realize that official dexos is merely a pay-to-play scheme, especially since GM merely recommends using dexos-licensed oils as far as warranty is concerned? There’s nothing magical about oils that pay for the license, and there are plenty of oils that exceed its performance requirements.
Exactly. Used be 100k just to use the logo.

You do realize that official dexos is merely a pay-to-play scheme, especially since GM merely recommends using dexos-licensed oils as far as warranty is concerned? There’s nothing magical about oils that pay for the license, and there are plenty of oils that exceed its performance requirements.
Aren't the Dexos requirements by GM listed as being 'minimum'?

Last edited:
You guys aware of that Valvolines new oil isn't Dexos licensed? I guess I'll keep using Extended Protection (which works great).

I've been driving vehicles since high school. Never once had an engine oil related issue. Never once in my life worried about if an oil was Dexos approved or otherwise. 😅

Please don't keep your vehicle make, model and engine a secret.
If you allow me a guess, I'd say you are speaking of the 2012-2017 Equinox with 2.4 engine.

Every major manufacturer has at least one mass produced engine that drinks oil. So when shopping next time, do a lengthy Google Search for history on what vehicle interests you most.
You were close, but no cigar. The car I mentioned actually is my wife's 2011 Equinox, with the 2.4. I can't believe that GM knew they had a problem with oil consumption for years, and choose to do nothing about it. And I'm surprised the Government didn't force them to fix the situation. I'm in the market for a vehicle now, and am doing alot of reading about the faults on new cars. I can't understand how the can charge so much, then have so many issues. Issues even the dealers can't solve. I won't be selling my motorcycle anytime soon. There are times when I gotta get some place, and I don't trust carslike I used to.,,,

Back