2 Valvoline Restore & Protect tests

I never thought much about Valvoline's fairly new Restore & Protect oil until The Motor Oil Geek recently posted a video on it. Once I saw his video, I did a bit more research on that oil and saw a couple reports of reduced oil consumption and such, but no before and after pics, so I decided to do my own test.

The first test is going to be my recently acquired 1990 Acura Legend Coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission and the C27A1 2.7L V6 engine. I don't know the mileage because the odometer broke at 176K in around 2002 (which I fixed), but the maintenance was apparently quite poor judging by the heavy carbon buildup under the valve covers.

It doesn't seem to burn any significant amount of oil, but it does have a lifter tick after being started cold, which lasts for a few minutes until the engine warms up a bit, at which point the ticking stops and it runs very well. The cold lifter tick is common on those engines if not properly maintained.

Compression is 180-185 PSI across all 6 cylinders with a nominal spec of 171 PSI and a minimum spec of 142 PSI, so I'm not expecting to see any improvements there since it's already very good.

This test is really just for fun since I plan to pull the engine and totally disassemble it to clean and rebuild it anyways, but may as well do some experiments on it first so we can all (hopefully) learn something. I just changed the oil and refilled it with Valvoline Restore & Protect 5W-30, so we'll see what happens. The previous fill was Rotella T6 5W-40 with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, which seems to have done little cleaning but that's a subject for another thread.

Here's the front cylinder head with the valve cover removed before the oil change. There's a good mix of varying degrees of varnish and hard carbon, so that should be a good engine to test it on.
1718579402839.jpg

The second test will be on my friend's 2010 Honda CRV with an oil burning ~225K mile K24 when its due for its next oil change soon. It goes through about a quart every 1000-1200 miles. Those years of the K24's were known for clogged/stuck rings, which I suspect is what's going on with his. We likely won't remove the valve cover for before and after pictures because, unlike my Legend, there's not much to see under there, so that one is probably just going to be an oil consumption test and maybe before and after pics through the oil fill hole.

I'll post updates as I have them, but I'm expecting both of these tests to be somewhat long term, so I'll keep you posted. Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome as always!

HPL

You don't have to do 4 OC, just a longer one with an early filter change. It'll be cheaper and likely cleaner.
That may be something I consider trying at some point, but for the Legend, my goal was just to test another more mainstream and less proven product to see how effective it is. Also, remember that the goal isn't to clean it up as much as it is to just do a hopefully educational experiment. This is likely going to be the last oil change it gets before I pull the engine for a proper cleaning and rebuild since there's many leaks, old hoses, and other things that have to be addressed, so no matter how well the oil cleans, the engine is still going to be coming out shortly.

HPL would likely be a great option for my friend's CRV, but there's no way he is going to spend so much on an oil change for a beater that will easily go through 4-5 quarts between oil changes.

Avery4,

Thanks for doing this!

Maybe I missed the info in your original post, but how many OCIs and for what mileage interval with the R&P in the Acura?

Avery4,

Thanks for doing this!

Maybe I missed the info in your original post, but how many OCIs and for what mileage interval with the R&P in the Acura?
So far, I only changed the oil twice since I bought the Acura and the first time was with 80% Rotella T6 and 20% Marvel Mystery Oil. The picture in my first post was after that. That mix did a little cleaning, but it was slight. I'm not sure how many miles I ran that fill since I just recently fixed the odometer, but it was in there for about 4 months and maybe 2K miles at the most.

As for the R&P, I just filled it with that today. I'm not sure how long I will run it for, probably 3-4K miles or so if the oil doesn't become visibly filthy by then. If I see significant cleaning by the end of the first OCI, I may run it a second time and see what it does out of curiosity.

I vaguely remember something about the oil pick screens getting easily clogged in that vintage Acura.
I'm not surprised, these engines do seem pretty susceptible to oil deposits if they aren't maintained properly. I remember reading about someone trying to clean their 1991 Legend's oil pickup screen by filling the oil pan with solvent since it's not easily removable on those like on the first gen 1986-1990.

In preparation for the first test with the Rotella and MMO, I took the oil pan off to clean it and the oil pickup screen for safety. Neither was dirty. Oddly enough, the bottom end of that engine is reasonably clean considering how the top end looks.
1718589898945.jpg

1718589863281.jpg

Also, here's a picture of what the inside of the valve covers looked like. I also manually cleaned those. No point in letting that crap contaminate the new oil and run through the engine or risking it clogging something up when it does inevitably break off.
1718590249608.jpg

I just watched Lake Speed Jr's video on Restore and Protect and the Valvoline guy explained that the petro engineers designed a base oil molecule from the ground up that cleans or helps the detergents in the addpac clean better. Interesting.

OP has been here long enough that I'm willing to bet he knows all about HPL.

OP is being good enough to take stuff apart and show pics. This is a good test.
I’m using both - but the VRP is just another inexpensive oil change and no worry of an extra oil filter change IMO … Kinda cost neutral
However - it’s pretty early here to know how well it works …
Still at least 3 ways to do this …

HPL

You don't have to do 4 OC, just a longer one with an early filter change. It'll be cheaper and likely cleaner.
I wish.

My 93 Rodeo looks very similar under the cover & has a cold lifter tick as well. Before I switched it over to HPL, I reached out to them for recommendations. I'm using their regular pcmo 5w40 with a qt of their ec40. It's been about 3k miles, & will be changing the filter soon. I'm doing 10k mile oci's, & top off's with their pcmo 5w40. So far no noticeable visual change looking through the fill cap, but not really expecting any yet. I was told by Dave that I would see serious improvement around 40k miles, or four 10k mile oci's. Top end heavy varnish just takes time because it gets baked on in high heat/low flow areas.

I'm curious to see what the Valvoline does in this experiment.

I never thought much about Valvoline's fairly new Restore & Protect oil until The Motor Oil Geek recently posted a video on it. Once I saw his video, I did a bit more research on that oil and saw a couple reports of reduced oil consumption and such, but no before and after pics, so I decided to do my own test.

The first test is going to be my recently acquired 1990 Acura Legend Coupe with a 5 speed manual transmission and the C27A1 2.7L V6 engine. I don't know the mileage because the odometer broke at 176K in around 2002 (which I fixed), but the maintenance was apparently quite poor judging by the heavy carbon buildup under the valve covers.

It doesn't seem to burn any significant amount of oil, but it does have a lifter tick after being started cold, which lasts for a few minutes until the engine warms up a bit, at which point the ticking stops and it runs very well. The cold lifter tick is common on those engines if not properly maintained.

Compression is 180-185 PSI across all 6 cylinders with a nominal spec of 171 PSI and a minimum spec of 142 PSI, so I'm not expecting to see any improvements there since it's already very good.

This test is really just for fun since I plan to pull the engine and totally disassemble it to clean and rebuild it anyways, but may as well do some experiments on it first so we can all (hopefully) learn something. I just changed the oil and refilled it with Valvoline Restore & Protect 5W-30, so we'll see what happens. The previous fill was Rotella T6 5W-40 with a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil, which seems to have done little cleaning but that's a subject for another thread.

Here's the front cylinder head with the valve cover removed before the oil change. There's a good mix of varying degrees of varnish and hard carbon, so that should be a good engine to test it on.
View attachment 225377

The second test will be on my friend's 2010 Honda CRV with an oil burning ~225K mile K24 when its due for its next oil change soon. It goes through about a quart every 1000-1200 miles. Those years of the K24's were known for clogged/stuck rings, which I suspect is what's going on with his. We likely won't remove the valve cover for before and after pictures because, unlike my Legend, there's not much to see under there, so that one is probably just going to be an oil consumption test and maybe before and after pics through the oil fill hole.

I'll post updates as I have them, but I'm expecting both of these tests to be somewhat long term, so I'll keep you posted. Any thoughts or suggestions are more than welcome as always!
What strategy would the Valvoline Restore and Protect use. Is it using Ester + AN ingredients to do the cleaning, or is it using some non Group V detergents or dispersants?

I wish.

My 93 Rodeo looks very similar under the cover & has a cold lifter tick as well. Before I switched it over to HPL, I reached out to them for recommendations. I'm using their regular pcmo 5w40 with a qt of their ec40. It's been about 3k miles, & will be changing the filter soon. I'm doing 10k mile oci's, & top off's with their pcmo 5w40. So far no noticeable visual change looking through the fill cap, but not really expecting any yet. I was told by Dave that I would see serious improvement around 40k miles, or four 10k mile oci's. Top end heavy varnish just takes time because it gets baked on in high heat/low flow areas.

I'm curious to see what the Valvoline does in this experiment.
With the amount of hype people push about HPL and put down other products I would expect some visible changes at 3k.

Valvoline R&P is designed to clean at a slower pace over regular oil change intervals to not clog the oil filter resulting in it bypassing, this is something that they had to keep in mind while coming up with this product as it is a "mainstream" off the shelf licensed product.

This will be great to watch, thank you for doing it. My daughter inherited an old Toyota from her grandparents. They went by the oil monitor, and as near as I can tell oil changes were around 10k. This Valvoline might be worth running in that thing, if it works.

I'm going to use VRP to clean the bottom end of an engine: 3qt M1 0w20 EP, with 1qt VRP 0W20. Since people are already reporting pretty good and quick cleanup just looking in the oil fill hole, this cocktail should suffice over 10k miles, without losing the M1 EP properties. Done the same with high mileage oils in the past.

With the amount of hype people push about HPL and put down other products I would expect some visible changes at 3k.

Valvoline R&P is designed to clean at a slower pace over regular oil change intervals to not clog the oil filter resulting in it bypassing, this is something that they had to keep in mind while coming up with this product as it is a "mainstream" off the shelf licensed product.
My observations are just looking through the fill cap under the drivers side valve cover mind you. High flow & non visible areas probably have significant improvement already. I was going to wait for 5k miles to change the filter, but may do it sooner to see how much carbon it's picking up, & to see how the Pentius UFXL filter is holding up. I have faith in the integrity of their products, & the customer support I have received from all my inquiries to them is unrivaled. I do not forsee myself using any other oil.

Back