2 Valvoline Restore & Protect tests

They are using a new technology for cleaning, nobody knows what it is.
Trying to do some google searches to see if it's effective against varnish, and if so, how long would it take to remove varnish.
Also, would anyone know how long (in terms of miles) that this new oil would take to restore dirty stuck piston rings back to factory cleanliness?

I'm going to use VRP to clean the bottom end of an engine: 3qt M1 0w20 EP, with 1qt VRP 0W20. Since people are already reporting pretty good and quick cleanup just looking in the oil fill hole, this cocktail should suffice over 10k miles, without losing the M1 EP properties. Done the same with high mileage oils in the past.
I'm not sure how good M1 EP would be at cleaning a dirty engine, but I personally wouldn't expect much of an improvement just from adding a single quart of R&P.

Judging by Valvoline's own claims, it doesn't seem like it was designed to be a particularly aggressive detergent when used full strength and 1 quart is only going to be about a 20% concentration since the engine probably takes a total of ~5 quarts.

Maybe try R&P by itself first and then switch to M1 EP once you feel the engine is clean if you want a long drain oil?

Trying to do some google searches to see if it's effective against varnish, and if so, how long would it take to remove varnish.
Also, would anyone know how long (in terms of miles) that this new oil would take to restore dirty stuck piston rings back to factory cleanliness?
You might want to look at some older posts on here about it. It's been discussed extensively. It will clean varnish and cleans anything it comes in contact with.

There's been a few posts about testing it in the real world. I've posted in another thread how it's doing in my youngest brothers 2009 Nissan versa with nearly 250k miles

I'm going to use VRP to clean the bottom end of an engine: 3qt M1 0w20 EP, with 1qt VRP 0W20. Since people are already reporting pretty good and quick cleanup just looking in the oil fill hole, this cocktail should suffice over 10k miles, without losing the M1 EP properties. Done the same with high mileage oils in the past.
I would not recommend mixing, if the oil meets the requirements of your vehicle just run R&P on it's own.

If you do still intend to mix don't blame Valvoline if it doesn't work out.

Looking forward to learning the results.
Expect The Unexpected, unless one adopts Valvoline's four OCIs needed ideology.

When I purchased Amsoil, I committed to four OCIs.
When I purchased HPL, I committed to four OCIs.
When I purchased Mobil-1 EP / Euro, I committed to four OCIs.
When I purchased Castrol Euro / EP for blending, I committed to six OCIs. That's because I got a sizzling deal at $8 per five quart jug.

Serving three vehicles with these oils since 2022, I'm still set on oil for the next three years.
So I have three more years to vote yay or nay on Valvoline R&P.

Keep Em' Coming BITOG Gang.

Last edited:
Got some pictures of the oil filter media after no more than 2K miles on the 80% Rotella T6/20% MMO blend as a control. Not much to see. There's no glitter to speak of and there's a light buildup of carbon/soot on the pleats, but nothing excessive considering how filthy the top end is. I would have expected more cleaning from a synthetic diesel oil with 20% MMO added, but the results speak for themselves.

1718658650892.jpg

1718658668274.jpg

Got some pictures of the oil filter media after no more than 2K miles on the 80% Rotella T6/20% MMO blend as a control. Not much to see. There's no glitter to speak of and there's a light buildup of carbon/soot on the pleats, but nothing excessive considering how filthy the top end is. I would have expected more cleaning from a synthetic diesel oil with 20% MMO added, but the results speak for themselves.

View attachment 225557
View attachment 225558

You want cleaning: HPL oil

I’ll watch others use it then make a decision. HPL works for my family’s and friends vehicles so far so why switch??
If it works for you great, but not everyone wants an unlicensed oil that cannot be purchased off the shelf.

If Valvoline R&P does what it says which so far early indications are that it does clean then what is the problem with that especially when it is a more affordable product.

Back