2 Valvoline Restore & Protect tests

It's a fair question

I’ve cut a few filters
Open that I’ve run the HPL 5w20 HDEO in. Caught some junk; I didn’t take photos as I was doing it after work hours. Believe me
If you want or not; I really don’t give a 💩💩💩💩

If TiGeo seriously using it; he shouldn’t be asking me 1,000 questions when he posts
About it all
The time.

I'm confused as to why you are asking him this when you use HPL yourself. You must know what it can do...
B/c I have never stated that it's doing any cleaning etc. b/c I haven't torn down my engine to look to know. My use has shown a bit better viscosity stability vs. other oils I've used over a standard OCI so I can say that based on UOAs but nothing else and is my main draw to using it.

If it works for you great, but not everyone wants an unlicensed oil that cannot be purchased off the shelf.

If Valvoline R&P does what it says which so far early indications are that it does clean then what is the problem with that especially when it is a more affordable product.
HPL does not engage in rock throwing events. So everyone using it stays healthier and happier.

I do applaud saving money thou. I only cringe at where the profits from your purchase will eventually end-up-at.

If it works for you great, but not everyone wants an unlicensed oil that cannot be purchased off the shelf.

If Valvoline R&P does what it says which so far early indications are that it does clean then what is the problem with that especially when it is a more affordable product.
I got nothing against HPL or any other "boutique" oil, I'm currently using Amsoil products in 3 of my cars and likely will try HPL in the future. I considered using HPL engine cleaner in the Legend until I saw Lake's video on R&P and thought that would be an interesting product to test and probably safer. I also bought a can of Liqui Moly engine flush with the intention of testing it on the Legend, but decided it may be too aggressive for such a dirty engine.

If R&P actually works as advertised, it could be a great option for a safe, cost effective, readily available cleaning oil. While I'm sure HPL is great too, there's room for more than one great oil and nothing wrong with finding cheaper, more readily available products that may also work well.

I got nothing against HPL or any other "boutique" oil, I'm currently using Amsoil products in 3 of my cars and likely will try HPL in the future. I considered using HPL engine cleaner in the Legend until I saw Lake's video on R&P and thought that would be an interesting product to test and probably safer. I also bought a can of Liqui Moly engine flush with the intention of testing it on the Legend, but decided it may be too aggressive for such a dirty engine.

If R&P actually works as advertised, it could be a great option for a safe, cost effective, readily available cleaning oil. While I'm sure HPL is great too, there's room for more than one great oil and nothing wrong with finding cheaper, more readily available products that may also work well.
So firstly, the HPL cleaning product is just a fully-forumlated oil, nothing else. It just contains esters/ANs to aid in cleaning. - not unsafe. The LM product is also plenty safe and the internet boogie-man of "but chunks will fall off and clog up your intake bro" is completley unfounded with this product. I've used it many times in multiple vehicles, I'd say it's more than opposite that it probably doesn't do a whole lot. I agree that the R&P is a "why not" product.

I agree that the R&P is a "why not" product.
Why not? because I have way too much oil sitting around for how fast I use it. BITOG sale threads make me feel like my wife. Look how much I saved on stuff I really didn't need yet for at least a year maybe 2.

I did use it in my neighbors 4Runner as a why not since he's not great at maintenance. Probably due for another round soon. We'll see what happens. I didn't look through any openings before so not much to go on.

So firstly, the HPL cleaning product is just a fully-forumlated oil, nothing else. It just contains esters/ANs to aid in cleaning. - not unsafe. The LM product is also plenty safe and the internet boogie-man of "but chunks will fall off and clog up your intake bro" is completley unfounded with this product. I've used it many times in multiple vehicles, I'd say it's more than opposite that it probably doesn't do a whole lot. I agree that the R&P is a "why not" product.
I'd agree that both products are totally safe to use in "normal" situations, but I wouldn't consider 1/8-1/4 inch of hard carbon fully coating the cylinder heads and valve covers normal and there's more than enough material there to clog the oil filter, pickup screen, etc if too much breaks off at once.

Whether either of those products actually would quickly remove significant amounts or not I have no idea, but judging by the filter pics I've seen on "clean" engines that have had their oil changed on time, it seems quite possible to me.

In a "normal" situation where there's perhaps more varnish than I'd like, light sludging, suspected clogged/stuck rings, a lifter tick, etc but no heavy buildup that could break off in large chunks, I wouldn't have any concerns whatsoever with trying either product.

HPL EC does not contain ANs only esters, their oil contains ANs and Esters from my understanding.

HPL does not engage in rock throwing events. So everyone using it stays healthier and happier.

I do applaud saving money thou. I only cringe at where the profits from your purchase will eventually end-up-at.
Don't like Valvoline? don't use it there is no need for HPL fanboys to continuously put down other products without any evidence of these products being bad and to be honest it probably doesn't paint a good picture for HPL for some people.

do you know exactly where HPL's profits go? do you have access to their financial records?, do you know where the profits go from the base oil they purchase?, no you don't. But what both of us do know is that both Valvoline and HPL support American workers.

I wish.

My 93 Rodeo looks very similar under the cover & has a cold lifter tick as well. Before I switched it over to HPL, I reached out to them for recommendations. I'm using their regular pcmo 5w40 with a qt of their ec40. It's been about 3k miles, & will be changing the filter soon. I'm doing 10k mile oci's, & top off's with their pcmo 5w40. So far no noticeable visual change looking through the fill cap, but not really expecting any yet. I was told by Dave that I would see serious improvement around 40k miles, or four 10k mile oci's. Top end heavy varnish just takes time because it gets baked on in high heat/low flow areas.

I'm curious to see what the Valvoline does in this experiment.
The beauty of HPL is that you're not compelled to do 10K miles OCI. You can stretch it a lot longer than that, while still cleaning your engine.
But I also appreciate your experiment. Let's wait for the results.

Back