Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

You switched your temps here, but yes exactly. It's easier to heat a fluid up then to cool it down to reach a target viscosity. I also don't like to get fluids to hot. Around 40C is where I don't like to go beyond if I can help it. Nice graphs and homework on this equivalency!

You switched your temps here, but yes exactly. It's easier to heat a fluid up then to cool it down to reach a target viscosity. I also don't like to get fluids to hot. Around 40C is where I don't like to go beyond if I can help it. Nice graphs and homework on this equivalency!

Yes, I did ... good catch. Should have been:

So the "cold" oil simulation would be 500 cSt which would be like 5W-30 at 0 C (32 F). And the "hot" simulation would be 13.5 cSt, which would be like 5W-30 or 10W-30 at 90 C (194 F).

Cold Oil Viscosity Test Point = 5W-30 @ 0 C

Cold Oil Simulation (5W-30 at 0C).JPG

Hot Oil Viscosity Test Point = 5W/10W-30 @ 90 C

Hot Oil Simulation (xW-30 at 90C).JPG

Last edited:
I finished the 5 warm simulation Pressure Vs Flow Tests (ISO 4548-1) and filmed them. Will start editing the video when I get more time. One exhibited a strange behavior and was noticeably more restrictive than the others. Due to my current work load, unfortunately I will not be running the cold weather simulation.

I’ll 2nd that. I am enjoying this thread and it’s information.

OP: I’d be very interested in both tests. Thank You 👍🇺🇸🇨🇦
I'm sorry 53 Stude, I will not be doing the cold weather simulation. Finished the hot sim last night however, and I think you will like it. I am new to filming and had a little trouble getting the camera to auto focus on the pressure gauge display. I will have it to you as soon as I can, hopefully in a few days.

I'm sorry 53 Stude, I will not be doing the cold weather simulation.
It would be interesting if you could do at least one filter in the cold flow simulation to get a feel on how much the "PSID vs Flow" increases with thicker oil. If one filter was chosen for the cold test, I'd suggest using the one that did the worse in the hot test to see how much the thicker oil effects the more restrictive filter. If you can't do any cold test I understand, and just throwing this out there. Looking forward to the rest of the videos and tests. (y)

It would be interesting if you could do at least one filter in the cold flow simulation to get a feel on how much the "PSID vs Flow" increases with thicker oil. If one filter was chosen for the cold test, I'd suggest using the one that did the worse in the hot test to see how much the thicker oil effects the more restrictive filter. If you can't do any cold test I understand, and just throwing this out there. Looking forward to the rest of the videos and tests. (y)
It's not the test, but rather changing the fluid. I have another project that requires the same fluid that is currently in the test rig so I want to get it done for them ASAP in hopes for return business. I can ask a current customer if they will allow me to private message you data on another filter using both hot and cold sim. It is the best I can do for you for now.
In the summer I plan on doing a similar oil filter comparison videos and partnering with a very well known, and in my opinion the best automotive/testing youtuber for these same tests and it will include hot and cold sim deltaP vs Q.

It's not the test, but rather changing the fluid. I have another project that requires the same fluid that is currently in the test rig so I want to get it done for them ASAP in hopes for return business. I can ask a current customer if they will allow me to private message you data on another filter using both hot and cold sim. It is the best I can do for you for now.
In the summer I plan on doing a similar oil filter comparison videos and partnering with a very well known, and in my opinion the best automotive/testing youtuber for these same tests and it will include hot and cold sim deltaP vs Q.
Good luck with your project and your joint venture on YouTube. I'm moving onward myself in a different direction,so I'll take the time to say thanks for the work and information you've provided this part of the forums.

Good luck with your project and your joint venture on YouTube. I'm moving onward myself in a different direction,so I'll take the time to say thanks for the work and information you've provided this part of the forums.
I am still running the efficiency capacity for you. That is not changing. Just the cold sim fluid Pressure vs flow is not going to be run.

What was the verdict on the bubble testing, two fails? Just that bubble test alone sort of eliminates a whole swath of filters from being acceptable to use. If the assumption is correct oil flowing the other direction under differential pressure will look like the bubbles coming out?

What was the verdict on the bubble testing, two fails? Just that bubble test alone sort of eliminates a whole swath of filters from being acceptable to use. If the assumption is correct oil flowing the other direction under differential pressure will look like the bubbles coming out?
Wix XP Failed due to the leaky bypass valve, in theory there would be non filtered fluid getting through that valve going straight to your engine. The flow would be radially inward in for the engine, but in our test the air pressure in our test should have been pushing it shut as it was radially outward.
The AC-Delco is a big question mark if it would affect the efficiency, I didn't like that seam being the only spot for the bubble point. It is possible that it would sill work fine. The manufacturer could give us the pass or fail pressure. Otherwise we would have to get into many more tests to determine that Pass/Fail pressure for them. That is R and D they would have to pay us for.
I wish it would be possible to have a filter housing made to test those specific elements.
We have to keep in mind that this was only one test on one filter so statistically it is insignificant and no conclusion as to which is best can be drawn. But we can certainly learn a lot from this data.

Wix XP Failed due to the leaky bypass valve, in theory there would be non filtered fluid getting through that valve going straight to your engine. The flow would be radially inward in for the engine, but in our test the air pressure in our test should have been pushing it shut as it was radially outward.
The AC-Delco is a big question mark if it would affect the efficiency, I didn't like that seam being the only spot for the bubble point. It is possible that it would sill work fine. The manufacturer could give us the pass or fail pressure. Otherwise we would have to get into many more tests to determine that Pass/Fail pressure for them. That is R and D they would have to pay us for.
I wish it would be possible to have a filter housing made to test those specific elements.
We have to keep in mind that this was only one test on one filter so statistically it is insignificant and no conclusion as to which is best can be drawn. But we can certainly learn a lot from this data.
The Delco was really bubbling out of the seam. When we buy a filter, it may be ok, but we want it to be not just maybe. Same with the bypass, can’t be a maybe it’s ok. Actually seeing the bubbles leaking and it being a fail, would eliminate any of those
filters for me. Even if the diff pressure is low, there are still holes there.

So the results are what? Down at lower or regular flow rates it’s very close to the same while at the high rate it is Wix XP winner chicken dinner and Royal Purple the restriction champion? Fram and Boss seem in a dead heat. This is great information to add to oil filters, should help with “my fitter no good it restricts the flow.”

So the results are what? Down at lower or regular flow rates it’s very close to the same while at the high rate it is Wix XP winner chicken dinner and Royal Purple the restriction champion? Fram and Boss seem in a dead heat. This is great information to add to oil filters, should help with “my fitter no good it restricts the flow.”
I think you hit the nail on the head. It is pretty nice to see all the curves on the same graph. I absolutely hope this test data helps clear a few things up. Perhaps there may be a correlation form the deltaP curves to predict which will be the most efficient. We shale see ;)

This is great information to add to oil filters, should help with “my fitter no good it restricts the flow.”
It's pretty much been know for many moons that the difference in delta-p with hot oil isn't going to be that much different between main stream oil filters. As far as no-name odd ball oil filters ... who knows, but I'd think there would be a lot more variation with some of those filters.

50 L/min = 13.2 GPM ... most high performance street cars don't flow anywhere near 13 GPM, even at redline RPM.

300 in-H2O = 10.8 PSI
350 in-H2O = 12.6 PSI
400 in-H2O = 14.4 PSI
450 in-H2O = 16.2 PSI

Low to high delta = 170 in-H2O = 6.1 PSI @ 13.2 GPM flow rate.
At half flow (25 l/min = 6.6 GPM ... what most cars would be flowing in normal driving), the low to high delta is only 50 in-H2O, which is only 1.8 PSI.

Difference between the 3 most free flowing filters is 30 in-Hg = 1.1 PSI @ 13.2 GPM flow rate.

Hot Oil Flow vs PSID Comparison.jpg

Last edited:
It is pretty nice to see all the curves on the same graph. I absolutely hope this test data helps clear a few things up. Perhaps there may be a correlation form the deltaP curves to predict which will be the most efficient. We shale see ;)

It could very well be that a more restrictive filter could have a lower ISO efficiency, due to the media releasing more captured debris from the media due to the higher delta-p factor. Looking forward to the ISO efficiency testing.

Does your system calculate the ISO efficiency automatically from the collected data, or do you need to hand calculate it?

Does your system calculate the ISO efficiency automatically from the collected data, or do you need to hand calculate it?
Automatic, way to many calculations to do by hand for me. I do not like the report format example given in the ISO 4548-12 and prefer the 16889 look better, so I might change it. Found an error in the example calculations contained in the ISO 4548-12.
If you have a copy I can show you where.

This is awesome information. I'm enjoying the data from this.

Seeing how much better the Wix XP flows compared to the rest, and the fact that it exhibited a leaking bypass valve in the bubble test, one has to wonder if that filter exhibited a leaking bypass in the flow test as well which showed up as better flow / lower pressure drop.

Last edited:
Back