Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

This is awesome information. I'm enjoying the data from this.

Seeing how much better the Wix XP flows compared to the rest, and the fact that it exhibited a leaking bypass valve in the bubble test, one has to wonder if that filter exhibited a leaking bypass in the flow test as well which showed up as better flow / lower pressure drop.
I am really glad you like it!
It is a legitimate concern. Technically I could cut it open and bubble point it, then run another P vs Q curve on another Wix XP before running the efficiency/capacity on that filter. That might be unfair to the other manufacturers though. If Wix were to contact me perhaps, I would do that. I would want to know if I were them.

All of those filters flow well ... there is only ~1.8 PSI of delta-p difference total spread between them all at 25 L/min (6.6 GPM). Most road vehicles won't even hit 6~7 GPM of oil flow through the oiling system just cruising around normally on the streets. The big test is the efficiency test ... that will be the one that really counts IMO. A leaky bypass valve would impact the efficiency test to some degree. Could be why some filters that seem like they should be more efficient are lacking in some efficiency performance.

Last edited:
Are you going to accept filters for testing?
Of coarse, any new or used filter. I can send a quote for any test, filter type, and number of filters. Testing any established test specs (ISO, SAE, ASTM, NSF, ETC..) or any custom in house testing spec. Prototype Research and Development, as well as quality control.

Thanks for doing and sharing all this.

Do you have any results on used filters that you can share?

Re the pressure vs flow test, I found the different curve behavior quite interesting at the low to mid flow rates. Can you or somebody post up the graph over that range only or edit the existing graph to see the curves more clearly?

Using the others as a comparison, the Wix XP's delta p behavior seems to reflect the way it tested in the bubble point test. But the ACDelco Ultraguard Gold's delta p suggests the one tested may not have had the problem you found with the one used in the bubble point test.

Re the pressure vs flow test, I found the different curve behavior quite interesting at the low to mid flow rates.
At flow rates below 15 L/min (4 GPM) the difference in delta-p across all the filter is pretty small. In normal street driving, with oil at operating temperature, the delta-p difference between any of these filters is going to be unimportant to the oiling system.

It's not the test, but rather changing the fluid. I have another project that requires the same fluid that is currently in the test rig so I want to get it done for them ASAP in hopes for return business. I can ask a current customer if they will allow me to private message you data on another filter using both hot and cold sim. It is the best I can do for you for now.
In the summer I plan on doing a similar oil filter comparison videos and partnering with a very well known, and in my opinion the best automotive/testing youtuber for these same tests and it will include hot and cold sim deltaP vs Q.

Business comes first, always. If you have a paying customer that wants a test done that we might be interested in, maybe you can run one of your privately bought filters at the end and share that. That way you won't need to change the setups and get the paid for data back to the customer ASAP. Don't let anyone here stress you, it should be fun for all as the alternative is we get to see nothing

This is awesome information. I'm enjoying the data from this.

Seeing how much better the Wix XP flows compared to the rest, and the fact that it exhibited a leaking bypass valve in the bubble test, one has to wonder if that filter exhibited a leaking bypass in the flow test as well which showed up as better flow / lower pressure drop.
I never had a chance to see the bypass valves that are built into engines or oil filter housings (for cartridge filters). I would hope these are of much higher quality than the throw away valves in canister filters. Anybody have experience with them?

Thanks for doing and sharing all this.

Do you have any results on used filters that you can share?

Re the pressure vs flow test, I found the different curve behavior quite interesting at the low to mid flow rates. Can you or somebody post up the graph over that range only or edit the existing graph to see the curves more clearly?

Using the others as a comparison, the Wix XP's delta p behavior seems to reflect the way it tested in the bubble point test. But the ACDelco Ultraguard Gold's delta p suggests the one tested may not have had the problem you found with the one used in the bubble point test.
Your welcome! I am glad you are enjoying it! Unfortunately, I cannot share any customer results, I asked 1 customer if I could share a hydraulic filter hot and cold sim P vs Q but they said no. Pause on the data in video 2 and you can get a closer look at the curves.

Your assessment is a possibility.

If I were working with the manufacturer we would test a sample lot of other random elements in the bubble point, and have them put that seam leak element back into a new spin on housing, and run a P vs Q comparison with another sample lot. Any significant findings would be translated into solutions for the QA of the product by means of process improvements in production line adjustments/changes, and defect identification testing.

Just one question regarding the bypass valve:

While i am meanhwille convinced (Thanks BITOG for educating me!) that a bypass valve is usually only open at cold start (Thick Oil) or when the filter is clogged and that the setting (Opening Pressure) of the Bypass Valve is set by the filter manufacturer to match the Filter media, there is a question that still puzzles me:

What if i use a ordinary off the shelf filter for a engine that revs higher and has a higher oil pressure than a average engine: Is there a chance that the bypass valve opens on high revs and pressure at operating temp of the engine when the oil is hot an thin? I am almost sure that this is unlikely to happen, but i want to know what the experts say.

What if i use a ordinary off the shelf filter for a engine that revs higher and has a higher oil pressure than a average engine: Is there a chance that the bypass valve opens on high revs and pressure at operating temp of the engine when the oil is hot an thin? I am almost sure that this is unlikely to happen, but i want to know what the experts say.

I highly doubt the delta-p across almost all filters when not clogged much, and with hot thin oil, isn't going to make the bypass valve open. Just look at the delta-p across the filters that AFT tested. The flow would have to be 13 GPM to make a bypass valve set to 16 PSI open up on the Royal Purple filter. I imagine if you ran 20W-50 in a car with some crazy oil pump that put out 15+ GPM, and a filter with a low bypass valve setting, then the bypass could open. But this is a rarity on stock street car engines.

And BTW, oil pressure doesn't really indicate how much delta-p there will be across an oil filter. Some engines can have relatively high oil pressure and not have that much oil flow going through the oiling system.

Just one question regarding the bypass valve:

While i am meanhwille convinced (Thanks BITOG for educating me!) that a bypass valve is usually only open at cold start (Thick Oil) or when the filter is clogged and that the setting (Opening Pressure) of the Bypass Valve is set by the filter manufacturer to match the Filter media, there is a question that still puzzles me:

Yes exactly what ZeeOsix said. When I tried to throttle the flow rate beyond 49.5LPM (13.07GPM) the bypass started to open in the Royal Purple at approx Kinematic Viscosity of13.5mm^2/s. For your modified filter application, the easiest way I can think of to be very sure is plumb in 2 pressure gages, one at the inlet and one at the outlet of the filter (the tricky part). Read each at cold and hot conditions. Subtract the Downstream side from the upstream in each case.
Compare the result from each temp condition to the manufactures listed bypass pressure spec. If your measured number is larger the valve has opened and you need to find a filter with a higher bypass, that is if you never want it to open.

Back