Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

I have been following this thread, but I might have missed it. Has a video showing the efficiency of the various oil filters been posted yet? I'm especially waiting to see the WixXP efficiency....

I am spit balling here way off topic, and I am sorry, but what would you guys think about a POD or Video cast of various interviews with large and small company experts talking about liquid (incompressible) and air (compressible) filtration, in a wide range of industries? Is this something you would be interested in listening to?

This of course would start in the automotive oil lubrication sector.

I ask because everyone on this thread has an interest in filtration.

I personally would LOVE to see that. You add a lot of great facts, info and knowledge. Just a mechanics 2 cents
I was talking to my friend at ATI yesterday, who is an expert in the design and manufacturing of air filter efficiency testing instruments, and I thought it would be a great conversation to record and share. He really had some great information as we bounced some ideas back and forth! Then I realized I know many filtration engineers/experts/mechanics/executives that could really shed some light and share some great insight into the world of filtration from their own unique perspective.

YES. We need a 101 of oil filtration.

It is hard enough to get facts about oil in the Internet, beside BITOG. There are gazillions of "Thoughts", "Hearsays" "Old wifes tales" and Myths around in Car and Motorcycle Forums worldwide. We all know it....

But regarding oil filtration, there is really ZERO information around. Common knowledge is: It´s a tin can with a filter in it. If you use the wrong one (Size and Bypass valve) your engine will get destroyed in no time. That´s allmost all of the information you can get.

It would be great to sheed some light on this, to get facts from peole with knowledge to educate the peole that are really interested to gain knowledge.

And finally make it Sticky here. The patience of some members that answer the same questions (including mine) over and over is remarkable and admirable.

Looking like next week for the video. Hoping to get the tests done by Friday evening, just depends on how fast I can get some other tests run. Might have to do a pre video because, this test is much more complex to run. I doubt anyone will want to watch a 45 min video on filtration lol
Trying to figure out how I want to film it, as I don't want to film my machine, since I have some custom designs and components in it that I do not want my competition to copy.
Was wondering if you'll be presenting the efficiency vs particle size for each tested filter in a graph similar to this one - example graph out of ISO 4548-12.

ISO 4548-12 Efficiency vs Particle Size Curve.JPG

I am thinking about running lab tests for an OEM and four aftermarket filters for testing for a Chevy truck. This testing will include ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency and capacity, pressure vs flow hot and cold simulation curves, bubble point/largest pore size, and a collapse/burst test.

I was thinking full synthetic media.

Is this oil filter testing data something you all would be interested in looking at and If so, what brands would you like to see tested?
If you ever get around to adding different filters to another test run. Hyundai/Kia have made it a semi-scare tactic that you need to use their filter because they have "what I think" is a metallurgy choice problem now for 9 years galling up pistons and soft bearings. There could also be some form of boundary layer oil issue going on too, they did step up oil pressure in an attempt to lessen their problem, but to no avail. After admitting they spent $3 billion to 3.5 billion on replacing just engines, we are waiting to see if their new crop of redesigned engines coming out in 2021-22 will fix their long run of engine issues. I was one of them who galled up pistons on a 2013 Elantra GT with 14,000 miles on it. They too tried to pull the filter warranty issue on me. Or course they do the standard changing out my Fram Ultra for their filter and the "Hyundai Tick of Death" did not fix itself. Hyundai/Kia thinks the high efficiency oil filters have too much flow resistance, and many people think Hyundai filters are swiss cheese to improve flow vs cleaning ability. It would be nice to see if a Fram Ultra and others flow better then the Hyundai/Kia filter for once. I know when Jay use to work at Fram he said the Ultra flowed better then the OEM filter, but we had no solid proof on the customer side.

That said, I think there were a couple people who were saying they would volunteer a Hyundai filter for the test. If you were to ever test a Hyundai/Kia filter you would have to make sure the filter came from a dealer or a discount online dealer who actually is a brick and mortar dealer. Amazon and others have been caught selling counterfeit Hyundai filters unknowingly as they have with sparkplugs ect.... I am just adding this the the filter suggestions as I think Hyundai/Kia are the 3rd largest car manufacture in 2017 and 5th in 2019.

Last edited:
If you ever get around to adding different filters to another test run. Hyundai/Kia have made it a semi-scare tactic that you need to use their filter because they have "what I think" is a metallurgy choice problem now for 9 years galling up pistons and soft bearings. There could also be some form of boundary layer oil issue going on too, they did step up oil pressure in an atemp to lessen their problem, but to no avail. After admitting they spent $3 billion to 3.5 billion on replacing just engines, we are waiting to see if their new crop of redesigned engines coming out in 2021-22 will fix their long run of engine issues. I was one of them who galled up pistons on a 2013 Elantra GT with 14,000 miles on it. They too tried to pull the filter warranty issue on me. Or course they do the standard changing out my Fram Ultra for their filter and the "Hyundai Tick of Death" did not fix itself. Hyundai/Kia thinks the high efficiency oil filters have too much flow resistance, and many people think Hyundai filters are swiss cheese to improve flow vs cleaning ability. It would be nice to see if a Fram Ultra and others flow better then the Hyundai/Kia filter for once. I know when Jay use to work at Fram he said the Ultra flowed better then the OEM filter, but we had no solid proof on the customer side.

That said, I think there were a couple people who were saying they would volunteer a Hyundai filter for the test. If you were to ever test a Hyundai/Kia filter you would have to make sure the filter came from a dealer or a discount online dealer who actually is a brick and mortar dealer. Amazon and others have been caught selling counterfeit Hyundai filters unknowingly as they have with sparkplugs ect.... I am just adding this the the filter suggestions as I think Hyundai/Kia are the 3rd largest car manufacture in 2017 and 5th in 2019.
I will see what I can do for you. If there is one thing that makes me angry it is counterfeit filters! I have caught some that were destroying large pieces of hydraulic equipment. It's scary stuff that can cost end users dearly!

They too tried to pull the filter warranty issue on me. Or course they do the standard changing out my Fram Ultra for their filter and the "Hyundai Tick of Death" did not fix itself. Hyundai/Kia thinks the high efficiency oil filters have too much flow resistance, and many people think Hyundai filters are swiss cheese to improve flow vs cleaning ability. It would be nice to see if a Fram Ultra and others flow better then the Hyundai/Kia filter for once. I know when Jay use to work at Fram he said the Ultra flowed better then the OEM filter, but we had no solid proof on the customer side.
It's also been proven right here in this thread by @Ascent Filtration Testing - see post #257 ---> LINK .

Ascent Filtration Testing,

Your YouTube videos are the best oil filter videos on YouTube. No opinion, just facts. I won't worry about making your videos too long. I would watch a 3 hour special on the information you are producing.

I was thinking about different tests of interest, and besides filtration, I would be interested in seeing Delta P vs Flow at 0 degrees C or 10 degrees C. I have a Subaru with a 2.5L. These cars are known to have high oil flow rates. I've seen 19.5 GPM at 6,000 RPM, but I don't know for sure. I always wonder how often the filter goes into bypass. In the test you did, you reached those levels on the RP, so I would think at start-up temperatures, cars bypass much more because oil is so much thicker when cooler.

Ascent Filtration Testing,

Your YouTube videos are the best oil filter videos on YouTube. No opinion, just facts. I won't worry about making your videos too long. I would watch a 3 hour special on the information you are producing.

I was thinking about different tests of interest, and besides filtration, I would be interested in seeing Delta P vs Flow at 0 degrees C or 10 degrees C. I have a Subaru with a 2.5L. These cars are known to have high oil flow rates. I've seen 19.5 GPM at 6,000 RPM, but I don't know for sure. I always wonder how often the filter goes into bypass. In the test you did, you reached those levels on the RP, so I would think at start-up temperatures, cars bypass much more because oil is so much thicker when cooler.
Thanks for the complement! When I can get the next video done I think you will like this one the best. It will be long and may have to be split into 2.
Yes how often the filter goes into bypass seems to be a real concern.

Back