Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

I am thinking about running lab tests for an OEM and four aftermarket filters for testing for a Chevy truck. This testing will include ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency and capacity, pressure vs flow hot and cold simulation curves, bubble point/largest pore size, and a collapse/burst test.

I was thinking full synthetic media.

Is this oil filter testing data something you all would be interested in looking at and If so, what brands would you like to see tested?

I am thinking about running lab tests for an OEM and four aftermarket filters for testing for a Chevy truck. This testing will include ISO 4548-12 multi-pass efficiency and capacity, pressure vs flow hot and cold simulation curves, bubble point/largest pore size, and a collapse/burst test.
Is the testing to be done in a certified lab that routinely does ISO 4548 testing?

Is the testing to be done in a certified lab that routinely does ISO 4548 testing?
Yes, we run many tests, my lab specializes in testing liquid filters. We run mostly efficiency and capacity type tests (multi-pass and single-pass).

ISO 4548-12, ISO 4548-3, ISO 4548-6, ISO 16889, ISO 4548-12, soon ISO 23369 when it is released, SAE J1985, SAE J905, SAE ARP 1827, SAE 5454, SAE ARP 901B...etc.
We can run what ever anyone needs for the most part, including custom tests.

We keep up to date calibration certifications for all of our instruments, and have had to provide these with test results for customer product certification. An example would be an ISO 11171 Cal Cert for particle sensors used for efficiency determination.

for sure as real testing for filters are rare with ONLY marketing doing the shouting!!!
I agree, not much scientific testing data is out there. Filter manufacturers and engineers are always improving on media and components, changing suppliers, adjusting machines...etc., which can have an effect on performance.... so perhaps I can give you a snapshot comparison.

Suggestions ... I'm sure most of these are probably already practiced with good lab processes. I think for the best apples-to-apples filter 4548-12 efficiency comparison, at least the following should be followed.

1) Same sized filters are used (ie, use the filter models specified for the same engine which will ensure similar sized filters).
2) Use medium sized filters that are specified per 1) ... ie, don't use super small or super large sized filters.
3) Same machine, same instrumentation and same operator.
4) Highest channel number (16 channel ?) and accurate particle counter possible. Hopefully your lab has one.
5) Same specified test dust.
6) Same oil temperature and flow rate through the test filters.
7) Same dust concentration level in the oil slurry.

It would be interesting to perform a side test, where the same brand and model oil filter is tested, but at much different particle loading rates (dust concentration level reduced) to see if an accelerated efficiency test impacts the measured efficiency in any significant way. Maybe you have already did this and have data - ?.

Last edited:
Suggestions ... I think for the best apples-to-apples filter 4548-12 efficiency comparison, at least the following should be followed.

1) Same sized filters are used (ie, use the filter models specified for the same engine which will ensure similar sized filters).
2) Use medium sized filters that are specified per 1) ... ie, don't use super small or super large sized filters.
4) Highest channel number (16 channel ?) and accurate particle counter possible. Hopefully your lab has one.
6) Same oil flow rate through the test filters.

It would be interesting to perform a side test, where the same brand and model oil filter is tested, but at much different particle loading rates (dust concentration level) to see if an accelerated efficiency test impacts the measured efficiency in any significant w

Suggestions ... I'm sure most of these are probably already practiced with good lab processes. I think for the best apples-to-apples filter 4548-12 efficiency comparison, at least the following should be followed.

6) Same oil temperature and flow rate through the test filters.

It would be interesting to perform a side test, where the same brand and model oil filter is tested, but at much different particle loading rates (dust concentration level) to see if an accelerated efficiency test impacts the measured efficiency in any significant way.
I have you covered.

1) and 2) Yes, all will be for the same engine of comparable size
3) Yes, same test rig, instrumentation and operator
4) Yes, accurate particle sensors, calibrated to ISO 11171
5) Yes, all will use Medium Test Dust
6) Yes, all testing parameters will be held constant... micron sizes, flow rates, temp, etc.
7) Yes, the ingress concentration of contaminant will be held constant for all tests

I have seen variations of this side test for R and D purposes.

Judging by your insight, it looks like have you have some experience with filter efficiency testing. Is this something you needed for work or hobby?

I have you covered.

1) and 2) Yes, all will be for the same engine of comparable size
3) Yes, same test rig, instrumentation and operator
4) Yes, accurate particle sensors, calibrated to ISO 11171
5) Yes, all will use Medium Test Dust
6) Yes, all testing parameters will be held constant... micron sizes, flow rates, temp, etc.
7) Yes, the ingress concentration of contaminant will be held constant for all tests

I have seen variations of this side test for R and D purposes.

Judging by your insight, it looks like have you have some experience with filter efficiency testing. Is this something you needed for work or hobby?
^^^ Nice. (y)

Is this the test dust specification your lab use?

I'm familiar with the ISO 4548-12 testing procedure.

^^^ Nice. (y)

Is this the test dust specification your lab use?

I'm familiar with the ISO 4548-12 testing procedure.
Yes that is one of them. We will use any contaminant that a customer would like, from metal shavings, to a powder of minerals. On hand we have coarse, medium, and fine test dust. We usually select the dust type depending on what size particles are of interest, to get statistically good counts/ml upstream.

I was thinking full synthetic media.

Is this oil filter testing data something you all would be interested in looking at and If so, what brands would you like to see tested?
Once you stated “synthetic“ … that rules out OEM filters some of us use … like PF63E
Hardly anyone wants to pay for Royal Purple, BTW …

Back