Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

Good lineup. Those are all higher end filters, a fair comparison across brands.

I would like to see comparisons across price points, e.g. the Purolator line up: PBL22500 vs. PL22500 vs. L22500. Or Fram, Delco, etc. I just picked Purolator because of the beta rating for the Pure One.

Please keep us posted, thanks!!
Here is the Bubble Point Video link. Two videos yet to make.
Bubble Point Testing Oil Filters - YouTube

EVERYONE HERE !!!! Hit the "LIKE" button on the upcoming three Youtube videos, lets get his videos trending. This video series needs to trend, there is nothing like it out their on Youtube. Hit the LIKE button, in fact go back and hit the LIKE button if you did not. These are ging to be some great videos with a wealth of infomation for us. THANK YOU !!! Post links to them on your other car sites.

EVERYONE HERE !!!! Hit the "LIKE" button on the upcoming three Youtube videos, lets get his videos trending. This video series needs to trend, there is nothing like it out their on Youtube. Hit the LIKE button, in fact go back and hit the LIKE button if you did not. These are ging to be some great videos with a wealth of infomation for us. THANK YOU !!! Post links to them on your other car sites.
Wow thanks Mainia!! I really appreciate it! It sure would be something if my small filter testing labs name got out there!

Very nice video, maybe the music is not my style. Why can’t water be used to get a comparison? It isn’t soaking long but what about the solvent effect on the glues? Might be good to try a second Delco, but of course that’s more money. Isopropyl is not that great to soak in so long to the human body. Not as poisonous as other alcohols but still. I realize the s in the equation is surface tension. Thanks.

Last edited:
Very nice video, maybe the music is not my style. Why can’t water be used to get a comparison? It isn’t soaking long but what about the solvent effect on the glues? Might be good to try a second Delco, but of course that’s more money. Isopropyl is not that great to soak in so long to the human body. Not as poisonous as other alcohols but still. Thanks.
Thanks Farnsworth! The isopropyl is commonly used for bubble point/integrity testing due to it being very easy to get a completely wetted media very quickly after it is submerged.
Also the surface tension is not subject to variation as other fluids. It evaporates quickly to reduce time for further testing in other fluids.
Water has issues getting the pore structure of the media completely wetted (necessary for the physics of the capillary models to work), but it can still be used. In fact you can run these tests in any fluid you like. The application fluid is used in some cases. In the case of sterile pharmaceutical filters Isopropyl can be used as well.
I have never experienced the alcohol breaking the adhesive resin down. I will ask the suppliers of the resin about this next time the filtration conference is held.
I hope this helps with your questions.
The no gloves rule in the isopropyl is part of our great State of Michigan covid control plan.

Once you stated “synthetic“ … that rules out OEM filters some of us use … like PF63E
Hardly anyone wants to pay for Royal Purple, BTW …

Sure but that wasn’t what I asked. Just wondering, you understand. So you don’t own it you work there and you’ll be using their equipment for this project?

I guess I could call and ask if I really wanted to know.
Here is the first bubble point review video link. I hope you like it.
Bubble Point Testing Oil Filters - YouTube

Just checked it out & real interesting data! I'm glad you threw in the OEM delco for some comparison to other types of media. I know Boss did claim 90% @40 b/c they were teaming up with Mercedes Benz for their filters & we all know the Europeans are going out to 15k oil change intervals so they couldn't risk any clogging over long drains. At least that was the conversation with one of the heads at Purolator back in 2015.

I like the adapter hack welding!

Oh, & I subbed too

Last edited:
I know Boss did claim 40% @20 b/c they were teaming up with Mercedes Benz for their filters & we all know the Europeans are going out to 15k oil change intervals so they couldn't risk any clogging over long drains.
40% @ 20u on the Boss? Maybe in the very beginning?

Purolator shows the Boss at 99+% @ 25u.

Just checked it out & real interesting data! I'm glad you threw in the OEM delco for some comparison to other types of media. I know Boss did claim 40% @20 b/c they were teaming up with Mercedes Benz for their filters & we all know the Europeans are going out to 15k oil change intervals so they couldn't risk any clogging over long drains. At least that was the conversation with one of the heads at Purolator back in 2015.

I like the adapter hack welding!

Oh, & I subbed too
I really appreciate it thank you!
Perhaps we can get enough exposure to talk to Purolator and run some testing for them. I ordered a half dozen thread adapters and none fit the filter and the filter base, only one of each. If I didn't come up with a thread that fit to run the other tests, these guys on here would roast me for dinner lol

40% @ 20u on the Boss? Maybe in the very beginning?

Purolator shows the Boss at 99+% @ 25u.
I think you meant to say that the Purolator Boss previously claimed 99% @ 40 microns, now they claim 99% @ 25 microns for up to 15,000 miles.
Doh :oops:

Yes, I suppose I figure everyone knows what I'm talking about but I should take more time to clarify. This, Old Information, was posted on their site & when you called in that's the answer you got too 99 @40. I see they have come down to 25% but I'm not sure what would've changed?.

Needless to say I'm curious about the Boss. I'm expecting Fram to be a top contender though.

I pressure tested the filter base with my welded threads. Everything checks out.
Please bear with me while I get the Pressure vs Flow test ready for you guys. I am debating on doing only a warm weather simulation, or changing the fluid out and doing a cold weather simulation as well.
Please let me know, because I am not getting much feed back.
Filter Base Pressure Test 2.jpg

Attachments

• Filter Base Pressure Test 1.jpg
    Filter Base Pressure Test 1.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 22
^^^ Yep ... both hot and cold would be cool. AFT ... What temperature would the oil be for the "cold" test if you do it?
Great to hear from you Z! I use 2 separate fluids. Hot simulation has a kinematic viscosity of 13.5 mm^2/s at 40 deg C, and cold simulation has a kinematic Viscosity of 500 mm^2/s at 38 deg C.

Great to hear from you Z! I use 2 separate fluids. Hot simulation has a kinematic viscosity of 13.5 mm^2/s at 40 deg C, and cold simulation has a kinematic Viscosity of 500 mm^2/s at 38 deg C.
Ah yes, definately an easier way to get much different viscosities without using extreme temperatures. 1 mm^2/s = 1 cSt.

So the "hot" oil simulation would be 13.5 cSt which would be like 5W-30 at 0 C (32 F). And the "cold" simulation would be 500 cSt, which would be like 5W-30 or 10W-30 at 90 C (194 F). See graphs below.

Cold Oil Simulation

Cold Oil Simulation (5W-30 at 0C).JPG

Hot Oil Simulation

Hot Oil Simulation (xW-30 at 90C).JPG

Back