Would you all like to see ISO 4548-12 Oil Filter Lab Testing Comparison, Efficiency & Capacity, Pressure vs Flow, Bubble Point, and Burst?

Sorry I'm late to the party, would it be possible to get some tests on K&N Gold oil filters (with the nut on top) to see exactly how they stack up to their competitors in the same price range? I haven't seen any meaningful data on their efficiency, at least from K&N themselves, and I have a hard time justifying the extra cost without concrete details.

If someone has good data already, please feel free to send it over!

Sorry I'm late to the party, would it be possible to get some tests on K&N Gold oil filters (with the nut on top) to see exactly how they stack up to their competitors in the same price range? I haven't seen any meaningful data on their efficiency, at least from K&N themselves, and I have a hard time justifying the extra cost without concrete details.

If someone has good data already, please feel free to send it over!

I have dug up some data on them after having used HP-1010 filters in recent years, their efficiency is roughly equivalent to that of a Fram Extra Guard based on what I have seen.

Ok Folks,
The final testing list is ordered for a 2019 Chevy 1500 pickup, 6.2L V8

1) AC-Delco Ultraguard Gold UPF63R
2) Fram Synthetic Ultraguard XG10060
3) Purolator Boss PBL22500
4) Wix XP WL10255XP
5) Royal Purple 20-500

Good lineup. Those are all higher end filters, a fair comparison across brands.

I would like to see comparisons across price points, e.g. the Purolator line up: PBL22500 vs. PL22500 vs. L22500. Or Fram, Delco, etc. I just picked Purolator because of the beta rating for the Pure One.

Please keep us posted, thanks!!

It will be interesting to see how well several synthetic filters hold up to their actual claims 99% at 20 Mic. etc. Also, Since I run a diesel & oil can get dirty quick it's good to know dirt holding capacity. We all understand that you can't restrict the filter "too much" so flow data is good information.

So, to recap for me:

Efficiency @ Micron rating (multi-pass)
Holding Capacity

Flow Rating

Thanks for your time & desire to get accurate information! Most importantly sharing it with us!!!!!

Good lineup. Those are all higher end filters, a fair comparison across brands.

I would like to see comparisons across price points, e.g. the Purolator line up: PBL22500 vs. PL22500 vs. L22500. Or Fram, Delco, etc. I just picked Purolator because of the beta rating for the Pure One.

Please keep us posted, thanks!!

It will be interesting to see how well several synthetic filters hold up to their actual claims 99% at 20 Mic. etc. Also, Since I run a diesel & oil can get dirty quick it's good to know dirt holding capacity. We all understand that you can't restrict the filter "too much" so flow data is good information.

So, to recap for me:

Efficiency @ Micron rating (multi-pass)
Holding Capacity

Flow Rating

Thanks for your time & desire to get accurate information! Most importantly sharing it with us!!!!!
Correct, This is the info I will be testing for. I will cut an extra filter open and run a bubble point/integrity/largest pore size as well. The largest pore size calculation will mainly be academic, and will not be a realistic number do to the nonwoven media geometry. Going to practice filming on a simpler test (bubble point). Thank you for showing interest!

Last edited:
No more mystery thread. Just cut and welded 2 thread adaptors into one that works for this filter and filter base. Nobody has the correct adaptor I got tired of looking.

Attachments

• Cutting Thread adaptor 1.jpg
    Cutting Thread adaptor 1.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Combined threads.jpg
    Combined threads.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 50
I just turned on the comments for the video so please let me know what you all think
(2) Bubble Point Testing Oil Filters - YouTube
Great video Andrew. (y) The bubble point test is interesting and as you say meant to basically show that the design and manufacturing of the filter results in a "pass/fail" of integrity (ie, no big holes/leaks anywhere). It's still possible that a badly (bad QA) manufactured filter (regardless of how well designed on paper) could pop-up once and awhile - like maybe the leaky seam on the AC-Delco, which might be part design (no crimp, just glued) and partly manufacturing induced (not enough glue).

The leaky bypass valve was interesting to see. I always wonder how much some of these bypass valves leak, especially when there is lbs of delta-p arcoss them in real use (instead of mere few inches of water). The ISO 4548-12 efficiency test and delta-p vs flow info of course is the real meat and potatoes of performance.

PS - should wear a long glove in that tank of IPA. ;)

Last edited:
Great video Andrew. (y) The bubble point test is interesting and as you say meant to basically show that the design and manufacturing of the filter results in a "pass/fail" of integrity (ie, no big holes/leaks anywhere). It's still possible that a badly (bad QA) manufactured filter (regardless of how well designed on paper) could pop-up once and awhile - like maybe the leaky seam on the AC-Delco, which might be part design (no crimp, just glued) and partly manufacturing induced (not enough glue).

The leaky bypass valve was interesting to see. I always wonder how much some of these bypass valves leak, especially when there is lbs of delta-p arcoss them in real use (instead of mere few inches of water). The ISO 4548-12 efficiency test and delta-p vs flow info of course is the real meat and potatoes of performance.

PS - should wear a long glove in that tank of IPA. ;)
I used to wear gloves years ago, I am impervious to all fluids now.

Nice.

So, pardon me it has been a long day and maybe I missed it, but you talked about testing bubble test prior to efficiency, yet filters are cut apart so it won't be the very same filter.

Or are we testing the naked media and not the assembled filter on efficiency test?

That AC Delco seam looks Atypical...

Nice.

So, pardon me it has been a long day and maybe I missed it, but you talked about testing bubble test prior to efficiency, yet filters are cut apart so it won't be the very same filter.

Or are we testing the naked media and not the assembled filter on efficiency test?

That AC Delco seam looks Atypical...
We will be testing a second set of new filters for the next tests. I do not have a housing for those elements to run further tests on.

The bubble test is more for testing the integrity of the design, assuming the manufacturing QA is done correctly. Obviously, a badly manufactured filter specimen (for whatever reasons) will show up in the bubble test, regardless of how well the design on paper is. Just gotta assume the virgin filter specimen used in the efficiency test is made per the drawing, and meets the design and manufacturing QA requirements.

Last edited:
Back