Work SHOES? Any recommendations

I tried 2 podiatrists to see if I could get more out of them, but they just tell me to wear supportive shoes with different insoles installed. One specifically recommended “redithotics” that she sells. One taped my foot up like an athlete and said just buy good shoes (come to find out he is a partner in a shoe store that he recommended).

Custom orthotics were not covered at all by my insurance.
Would you consider yourself overweight.

Would you consider yourself overweight.
I’m 6’4” and 220lbs. Technically yes, but not terribly overweight. The lightest I’ve been is about 200 but I don’t have the time to be in the gym 6 days a week anymore.

I’m 6’4” and 220lbs. Technically yes, but not terribly overweight. The lightest I’ve been is about 200 but I don’t have the time to be in the gym 6 days a week anymore.
No that’s not bad at all I was talking really overweight as that should be addressed as it contributes to the issue. In my opinion and I had planters foot you need to get out of a shoe and into a stiff boot with proper arch support.

I have worn Columbia Newton Ridge hiking boots year round for years now. I'm not as big as you but they are as comfortable as a sneaker but still give ankle support and protection. I also had Plantar in the past so I always wear insoles to provide additional arch support and these boots easily accommodate an insole. They run between $75.00-$100.00 pair which is pretty affordable as far as I'm concerned. They also come in many different color options if that matters to you.

Special insoles is a good idea regardless of shoe manufacturer.

My employer pays for yearly shoe allowance and I never had a problem with Red Wing (most comfortable) and Timberland Pro with composite toe.

No that’s not bad at all I was talking really overweight as that should be addressed as it contributes to the issue. In my opinion and I had planters foot you need to get out of a shoe and into a stiff boot with proper arch support.
You know what’s really odd…not that you are a foot expert, but it makes me question both doctors I saw.

If I have PF, which I certainly have something / foot pain. Why did my aches and pains go away day 2 of a vacation we just took in January?

I dreaded the thought of being on vacation (island resort) because of being barefoot chasing the kids around playing at the beach and pools all day. I was literally barefoot most of the time, if not I was in crocks, flip flops, or boat shoes. Slept on a horribly uncomfortable bed on top of that. My back and foot pains were non existent all week though. I really thought I’d be in misery without proper support.

I’m an automotive mechanic. I’m on a hard concrete floor almost all 8 hours of my day unless I’m towing or making road repairs. 39 years old, 6’4” 220lb guy with plantar fasciitis in one foot pretty bad that I can’t shake, fractured my back in a couple few places last year that still bothers me, so I’m looking for comfort and support due to my issues.

I’ve always gotten away with Nike air monarch (grandpa walking / cross training type shoes) or similar new balances (I think 626’s, still grandpa type walking / training shoes). My issues with them are since they’re leather (which I’m supposed to wear anyway, but it’s a bit un-enforced) they are hot / not very breathable, and the soles or tread tend to unglue and bubble / come off, likely due to contaminants in the shop I walk through.

I tried some “shoes for crews” and had to return them immediately, never had a shoe with so little cushioning.

Now I’m on some Reebok work shoes called sublite cushion I think. I thought they were comfy, but the lack of cushioning is starting to get to me. At least the soles are lasting since they’re actual work shoes

I think I need both support and cushion with my issues. I use superfeet or similar insoles with the proper arch support, but I think a lot of the cushioning is going to come from the shoe itself.

Any mechanics or blue collar guys here on their feet all day that have any shoe recommendations? I’ve never been a boot guy.

Thanks in advance!
Red wing super sole 2.0
Carolina 309

I’m an automotive mechanic. I’m on a hard concrete floor almost all 8 hours of my day unless I’m towing or making road repairs. 39 years old, 6’4” 220lb guy with plantar fasciitis in one foot pretty bad that I can’t shake, fractured my back in a couple few places last year that still bothers me, so I’m looking for comfort and support due to my issues.

I’ve always gotten away with Nike air monarch (grandpa walking / cross training type shoes) or similar new balances (I think 626’s, still grandpa type walking / training shoes). My issues with them are since they’re leather (which I’m supposed to wear anyway, but it’s a bit un-enforced) they are hot / not very breathable, and the soles or tread tend to unglue and bubble / come off, likely due to contaminants in the shop I walk through.

I tried some “shoes for crews” and had to return them immediately, never had a shoe with so little cushioning.

Now I’m on some Reebok work shoes called sublite cushion I think. I thought they were comfy, but the lack of cushioning is starting to get to me. At least the soles are lasting since they’re actual work shoes

I think I need both support and cushion with my issues. I use superfeet or similar insoles with the proper arch support, but I think a lot of the cushioning is going to come from the shoe itself.

Any mechanics or blue collar guys here on their feet all day that have any shoe recommendations? I’ve never been a boot guy.

Thanks in advance!
Redwing work boots/shoes. I had to get comfortable shoes as I can walk extended periods during my security job. I can walk all day without issues. Definitely worth the money spent.

You know what’s really odd…not that you are a foot expert, but it makes me question both doctors I saw.

If I have PF, which I certainly have something / foot pain. Why did my aches and pains go away day 2 of a vacation we just took in January?

I dreaded the thought of being on vacation (island resort) because of being barefoot chasing the kids around playing at the beach and pools all day. I was literally barefoot most of the time, if not I was in crocks, flip flops, or boat shoes. Slept on a horribly uncomfortable bed on top of that. My back and foot pains were non existent all week though. I really thought I’d be in misery without proper support.
You could try some barefoot shoes. No support, very little cushion. I recommend altras or xero shoes. The downside is they don't keep your toes from getting smashed when you drop your 30mm wrench. Altras have more cushion

Try a hiking shoe/boot with less drop and more flexibility (heel-toe angle). I would probably recommend going to a running shoe store for them to fit you instead. I can stand on my barefoot/zero drop Merrills all day compared to any other shoe.

I tried 2 podiatrists to see if I could get more out of them, but they just tell me to wear supportive shoes with different insoles installed. One specifically recommended “redithotics” that she sells. One taped my foot up like an athlete and said just buy good shoes (come to find out he is a partner in a shoe store that he recommended).

Custom orthotics were not covered at all by my insurance.

Ok so I used to work in a kitchen for almost 10 yrs. One thing they do for us is give us rubber mats to stand on vs the hard floor. It helped a lot. I do not know if buying a mat to bring in is possible with your job. After cooking for 9 years I became a RN where I was still standing on my feet for now 12 hours a day. The Altra shoes mentioned above helped more than anything. Only bad thing is they are not the most durable and no steel toe protection for you. Stiff sole comments can help some but did not help mine.

Also one thing that helped me tremendously was watching youtube videos on stretching and massages that I could do myself. In my experience if you do not do anything to treat it, it will only get worse. There is a physical therapist youtube video named Bob and Brad. Their videos have helped me with several things.

Also when I say the Ultras were not durable I was walking around 3 to 5 miles per shift.

I know you said shoes......but....

I'm a big guy. I spent 9+ hours last Saturday on my feet, walking and working around the yard. Some of that was on concrete, some on turf/leaves/etc. I do not do this normally.

I wore a pair of barely-worn Keen Utility Cincinnati soft toe work boots. I felt fairly good at 6:00 pm when I took them off and jumped in the shower. I had them on since 7:15 am... I have always told people those boots feel like your feet are surrounded by pillows. They are industrial rated boots....

I normally wear Thorogood 814-4200, a 6" Moc Toe soft toe boot, like mentioned above. They are very, very good boots, especially for working on concrete all day. I prefer them over the Keens above, but results speak for themselves.

Second step- when you buy the boots/shoes, buy a GOOD pair of insoles. I like the Timberland "honeycomb", fairly well rated, orange bottom, honeycomb pattern. The Keen Utility insoles are also highly rated. Buy them. Put them in immediately.

One suggestion I vehemently recommend- once you figure out the footwear, buy a second pair immediately and a boot dryer. Wear one pair today, the other pair tomorrow. Put the worn pair on the dryer when you get home. This will have several benefits - no / less stink, great feeling boots/shoes and wearing two pairs like this has been proven to last more than twice as long as one pair.

Back