I don't think I'll find or buy a used car

My steel wheels on 15 Pilot LX are rusting a tad. Not exactly pretty.
Yes, they will rust, but usually, depending on how they're constructed (and particularly how radiused the sometimes somewhat sharp edges are) they can be given a decent rattle-can coat of paint, and if they rust a bit they can be abraded, primed, and resprayed.

My tire guy says no on that rim / tire situation. He's one that says "the car was tuned for that size tire & rim". Trouble is the V60 Cross Country is the same car except rides higher, same engine, etc. does not have the low profile tires. I would need a computer update to match speedo but I have thought of it.
Use this. If you can find a combination that is close or at the equivalent size of the current tire/wheel, you should be good to go.

Had a family member purchase a Subaru forester for their elderly wife who has trouble getting in and out, and wanted a comfortable ride. They’ve been very happy.

Perhaps one may be worth looking at?

Steel wheels for the loss, buy alloy:

View attachment 218016
Those are high positive offset wheels (unless I have +ve and -ve mixed up, and maybe ET is the opposite?). They therefore kind of push the joint / seam between wheel hoop and wheel mounting flange to an "in-your-face" location, compared to close-to-zero-offset wheels or deep-dish wheels. Also, they often are painted silver, and are often found on Japanese vehicles. Folks may not like satin black colour, say, but it seems undeniable to me that the latter would exhibit a much less jarring degradated state. Also, clean steelmaking makes for less rapid degradation, and the right creeping rustproofing material would also be beneficial over time.

Sorry, I guess I'm straying 'way-far from the orig. topic 😐

Last edited:
Use this. If you can find a combination that is close or at the equivalent size of the current tire/wheel, you should be good to go.
I'm thinking of finding 17 inch rims and going with 215/50/17. The tire site said the 2016 V60 had three size tires 17R & 18 R & 19R. So I guess the car could come stock with bigger or smaller rims than my 18's.

I also forgot to mention in my wants and needs is that I don't want a CVT transmission. Now that really makes the list smaller. If they made my 2011 Honda CRV-EXL but a newer one with a bit quieter ride on the highway I'd be happy. No CVT, has a timing chain (not belt), not all the tech stuff, has leather seats, has a really cool cargo folding / removable shelf. They could add a wee bit more ride comfort. So yeah the 2011 Honda is what we drive more often than the Volvo.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of finding 17 inch rims and going with 215/50/17. The tire site said the 2016 V60 had three size tires 17R & 18 R & 19R. So I guess the car could come stock with bigger or smaller rims than my 18's.

I also forgot to mention in my wants and needs is that I don't want a CVT transmission. Now that really makes the list smaller. If they made my 2011 Honda CRV-EXL but a newer one with a bit quieter ride on the highway I'd be happy. No CVT, has a timing chain (not belt), not all the tech stuff, has leather seats, has a really cool cargo folding / removable shelf. They could add a wee bit more ride comfort. So yeah the 2011 Honda is what we drive more often than the Volvo.
It’s matters less and less based on less snow, but my snow tires on 2 cars are the “non optional” sizes despite the cars having the optional rims with wider tires. Skinnier is effective in snow but terrible on dry and wet pavement. I got away with not putting snows on last year…

Car 1–the snows are 17’s below, while the all seasons are the 18’s which came with the car

IMG_1607.jpeg

Car 2–the 4 snows are the front tire size @ 18”, making the winters squared, not staggered like the summer only tires. Also see how my year, the optional 19” are the same width for tires, so imho a serious disadvantage with 1” more rim
And 1” less sidewall. I woulda got 19’s if the tires were wider.

IMG_1608.jpeg

This is a good example of what I was talking about. The post above yours, #47 shows a 17” and an 18” wheel with tire sizes. Take those two to the calculator and one rolls at 754 revs per mile, the other 756 revs. No need to any recalibration or any thing like that. Yet both sizes are options on the same vehicle. The plus is an extra inch of rough road absorbing rubber.
IMG_2053.jpg

Guy comes on here to pose some questions. He says he doesn’t want to spend over X amount of money and states the style of vehicle he wants. Then numerous people recommend vehicles that he stated he is not interested in. Don’t you just love it.

Last edited:
This is a good example of what I was talking about. The post above yours, #47 shows a 17” and an 18” wheel with tire sizes. Take those two to the calculator and one rolls at 754 revs per mile, the other 756 revs. No need to any recalibration or any thing like that. Yet both sizes are options on the same vehicle. The plus is an extra inch of rough road absorbing rubber. View attachment 218211
Talked with my Volvo dealer about the rim size and he popped up my file. Nope, can't go with a smaller rim because my VIN shows that my brake calipers are the size of Polestar. There would be no room.

So upon further investigation I can go up to a 45 aspect and reviews for this tire are very good, the Michelin Cross Climate.
I'll spend the $1200 on tires and see how it goes because it is a lot less than buying another car right now. I was talking to my Jaguar buddy who at times, we gave each other a hand when needed. He's so fed up with all the crap on the cars that he is thinking of going way back in the time machine. I was just telling my wife, "you've seen me replacing hood or truck struts and for not too much money and minimal time I can replace them. Well I was just reading where a guy had an automatic lift and the new motor was going to be $1100." WTH! All that so that someone doesn't have to reach for a handle?

My wife asks, "how many people know if their car does or doesn't have a CVT?" Yep that's the problem about knowing. So my mechanic friends say keep that fluid changed in those CVT's because they can't be repaired, the only fix is a new one. $$$$$$$$$$

I swear in the future we will be nothing but a head on a platter with robotics to do all things physical.
The entire shopping affair has turned me into a grump!!!! :)

A 110 Volt outlet isn't ideal for EV charging but it could work if you have lots of time to charge. [My nephew has a Tesla Model 3 and that's all he uses.] You could do a fast charge at a commercial Level 3 outlet if you needed an occasional fast charge.

Your nephew must not drive his Model 3 that much considering it takes about 36 to 50 hours to fully charge a model 3 using a standard 110v outlet. Or he's charging it a lot at a Tesla Supercharger (which I understand is something like 10x the cost of doing it at home)

Your nephew must not drive his Model 3 that much considering it takes about 36 to 50 hours to fully charge a model 3 using a standard 110v outlet. Or he's charging it a lot at a Tesla Supercharger (which I understand is something like 10x the cost of doing it at home)
He's another physician who is working most of the time. You're either at home resting or at work. Been there, done that. It's not much of a life.

He charges at home when he's there and charges at the hospital where he works as well. On the Canadian prairies every parking spot has a 110 Volt charger to power a block heater. They usually turn the power off for the summer but maybe they leave his area on as a perk. For daily use he only drives around in a small city (Saskatoon). For trips (it's a 5 hour drive to a major center- Edmonton) he uses Superchargers.

Not a plan I would follow but it seems to work for him.

He's another physician who is working most of the time. You're either at home resting or at work. Been there, done that. It's not much of a life.

He charges at home when he's there and charges at the hospital where he works as well. On the Canadian prairies every parking spot has a 110 Volt charger to power a block heater. They usually turn the power off for the summer but maybe they leave his area on as a perk. For daily use he only drives around in a small city (Saskatoon). For trips (it's a 5 hour drive to a major center- Edmonton) he uses Superchargers.

Not a plan I would follow but it seems to work for him.

That makes sense then if he's also able to charge it at work! It sounds like the perfect situation then, as his SOC is probably always topped up nicely most of the time.

A ‘base’ RAV 4, CRV, or Rogue with 225-65-17 tires? They are a ‘tall’ tire these days.
The Grand Caravan suggestion is a good one as well.

Back