They can go ahead and strike-- I got my truck.

Well I've been on the hunt for a while now. My pandemic-era beater Silverado runs mint but is nickel and diming me. EVAP issues. Funky gauges that go berzerk. Soft rocker panels. Awful spray-paint job. Generic TPMS sensors going out (this one is my fault). I think I got it to hold its antifreeze after replacing both a cracked surge tank and a three-way hose connection down by the water pump. It fits my whole family going up to camp if I leave someone behind. So, in short, I've been shopping. Even considering another trip to North Carolina for something rust-free. Strongly prefer something pre- OBD-II because this electrical stuff is interfering with my state inspections.

Went to look at an S10, that "all it needed was a fuel sender." It was at some backyard mechanic's with the bed off while I looked at it. OK, cool, fix the $50 sender that broke off at the top off the tank then run it on the 20 year old gas and get back to me. Plates expired in 2003. It was, TBH, a solid truck.

Looked at a Chevy half-ton, rotted out.

Looked at a 93 F250, lots of clunking, replaced floorboards, self tapping screws, rotted brake lines, soft brake pedal. Honestly was a contender if nothing else appeared.

Messaged on a 300k Silverado, dude said I'm busy this week, but will get back. Why the ad then? Never got back. Messaged on a F150 straight from Kentucky that needed a tranny. Same run-around.

OK this is the part where I talk about the truck I actually got.

91 F150, shows up on Craigslist, which is how old people communicate, last Sunday. I message the guy same day. He calls me back on Wednesday, but my phone is flaking out so I miss it. I get my new phone and an playing with it on the way to my kids' track event and find the voicemail. Call the old dude back and he says someone's coming today (nuts) but I can come this evening (yay.) Show up and it's still there. It has an extra-cab so there's room for the wife, dog and both kids.

Truck was in Arizona from 1991 to 2002 when my seller bought it. He lives in a lake house and only drove it on the private road to the brush pile and used it to launch his boat. "100 miles a year" he says.

Door sills are good. Fenders are good. Spring hangers good. Front spring mounts on the frame are good (OBS Ford people know what I'm talking about.) Radius arm brackets are bolt-in which indicates they were replaced, also good. Tiny bit of crude bondo on the back of the cab. Meh.

135k miles. I'm offered a test drive. The ad said nothing about the engine. Old man opens the hood and simply says "it has the big motor." 351!

We go up and down the road. Firm brakes, firm shifts, no clunks. "It has positraction" the guy mentions. More good news!

I pull back into his driveway and let it run to charge the battery. Turn the AC on. It blows ice cubes. "This works?" I exclaim, trying to play it cool. "Yes, I took it to the garage, they put something in" he modestly replies. 🥶

"What were you asking?" I ask, and I quote him his price. He affirms that's the price, but interjects, "I can go lower." 😁

A gentleman never talks, but I got it for somewhere between a paycheck and a paycheck with OT.

We stood on the driveway making out the paperwork, and the dude starts philosophizing about what life's going to be like after twenty years without his faithful companion. Hand over the keys, Grandpa, LOL.

It darkens my driveway come Monday, when I get plates.

It needs:

water pump
power windows fixed
speedometer fixed
Rear gas tank fails inspection for rust, so that might just... come out and stay out.
IMG_20230930_181232613_HDR.jpg
aIMG_20230930_181244820.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I've been on the hunt for a while now. My pandemic-era beater Silverado runs mint but is nickel and diming me. EVAP issues. Funky gauges that go berzerk. Soft rocker panels. Awful spray-paint job. Generic TPMS sensors going out (this one is my fault). I think I got it to hold its antifreeze after replacing both a cracked surge tank and a three-way hose connection down by the water pump. It fits my whole family going up to camp if I leave someone behind. So, in short, I've been shopping. Even considering another trip to North Carolina for something rust-free. Strongly prefer something pre- OBD-II because this electrical stuff is interfering with my state inspections.

Went to look at an S10, that "all it needed was a fuel sender." It was at some backyard mechanic's with the bed off while I looked at it. OK, cool, fix the $50 sender that broke off at the top off the tank then run it on the 20 year old gas and get back to me. Plates expired in 2003. It was, TBH, a solid truck.

Looked at a Chevy half-ton, rotted out.

Looked at a 93 F250, lots of clunking, replaced floorboards, self tapping screws, rotted brake lines, soft brake pedal. Honestly was a contender if nothing else appeared.

Messaged on a 300k Silverado, dude said I'm busy this week, but will get back. Why the ad then? Never got back. Messaged on a F150 straight from Kentucky that needed a tranny. Same run-around.

OK this is the part where I talk about the truck I actually got.

91 F150, shows up on Craigslist, which is how old people communicate, last Sunday. I message the guy same day. He calls me back on Wednesday, but my phone is flaking out so I miss it. I get my new phone and an playing with it on the way to my kids' track event and find the voicemail. Call the old dude back and he says someone's coming today (nuts) but I can come this evening (yay.) Show up and it's still there. It has an extra-cab so there's room for the wife, dog and both kids.

Truck was in Arizona from 1991 to 2002 when my seller bought it. He lives in a lake house and only drove it on the private road to the brush pile and used it to launch his boat. "100 miles a year" he says.

Door sills are good. Fenders are good. Spring hangers good. Front spring mounts on the frame are good (OBS Ford people know what I'm talking about.) Radius arm brackets are bolt-in which indicates they were replaced, also good. Tiny bit of crude bondo on the back of the cab. Meh.

135k miles. I'm offered a test drive. The ad said nothing about the engine. Old man opens the hood and simply says "it has the big motor." 351!

We go up and down the road. Firm brakes, firm shifts, no clunks. "It has positraction" the guy mentions. More good news!

I pull back into his driveway and let it run to charge the battery. Turn the AC on. It blows ice cubes. "This works?" I exclaim, trying to play it cool. "Yes, I took it to the garage, they put something in" he modestly replies. 🥶

"What were you asking?" I ask, and I quote him his price. He affirms that's the price, but interjects, "I can go lower." 😁

A gentleman never talks, but I got it for somewhere between a paycheck and a paycheck with OT.

We stood on the driveway making out the paperwork, and the dude starts philosophizing about what life's going to be like after twenty years without his faithful companion. Hand over the keys, Grandpa, LOL.

It darkens my driveway come Monday, when I get plates.

It needs:

water pump
power windows fixed
speedometer fixed
Rear gas tank fails inspection for rust, so that might just... come out and stay out.
View attachment 181245View attachment 181252
nice older is the new newer. These new truck are garbage

Ha, I actually like the bullnose sealed beams and the 92-96 aero headlights better than this in-between generation. If I had sealed beams I'd get some "Autopal" brand E-code halogens. Glass lens and a way better beam pattern. And it's not a crackhead LED conversion.

Put a 32gal Bronco tank in the rear.

You can stick ball bearings in the pw motor gears if broken (and they usually are)

Love it 😍
Lemme break out the OBD1 scanner now, you're gonna need it 😅
TFI modules oh my 😲

Is this the era of Ford where the cruise control switch would burn it down, or was that later?
Look into that if so

I kid, there's something so workhorse yet so formal about an OBS era Ford 🤌

Enjoy it 😊

Sweet truck, good to know that finds can still be had here in New England.
All I seem to find is garbage.

nice older is the new newer. These new truck are garbage
Could have saved a pile of money if I'd talked to you before I bought the new truck. No doubt this '91 would pull a trailer coast to coast and not blink an eye.

That's a great truck for doing truck things and it's nice you won't have to leave the wife at home when you and kids and dog go to camp. Second keeping a few nickels and dimes handy. 😉

Too bad it doesn't have the old man cap! :ROFLMAO:
It actually does and I gotta bring my kid to help remove it from the way back of the guy's garage!

It doesn't have too many add-on marker lights but I spy a couple cheapo fogs in the front. No CB radio either.

I had a 95 F150 with the 300, 2.73 gears, and mazda 5 speed. First gear was way too tall. I still towed a Bonneville with it, LOL, lotsa clutch slip to get rolling. This bad larry has 3.55s. I prefer the New Venture trannies they put in Dodges and GMs.

Nice truck. You may be surprised at the fuel mileage. I’m guessing 13 mpg. Those 351s are thirsty but reliable.

Could have saved a pile of money if I'd talked to you before I bought the new truck. No doubt this '91 would pull a trailer coast to coast and not blink an eye.

That's a great truck for doing truck things and it's nice you won't have to leave the wife at home when you and kids and dog go to camp. Second keeping a few nickels and dimes handy. 😉
I bought a 2020 2500hd, and though they are nice and smooth, pwoer is great, they are garbage and i sold mine for close to what I bought it for. Not well made like they used to be.

Back