What was your first bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first bike was a candy root-beer Yamaha RD250, 1974 vintage. Had bad luck-the oil injection pump died (REALLY unusual; fixed under warranty- got new pistons and subsequent piston slap). High side crashed in the rain shortly thereafter. Loved it, but didn't trust it, so......
Traded it in for a new, mostly identical '75 RD 250, which I rode the wheels off of, and learned the joys of intake mods and re-jetting. I miss that little beast.

1975 CB550F $500. My parents were so mad they took away the Chevette I was driving around. That was 1980.

Been riding ever since.
wink.gif

Last edited:
1973 (I believe)Honda 70 (the one with the small fat tires, can't remember the model) with an exceptionally rare 4 speed manual. Every other one I have ever seen was 3 speed auto clutch. My brother borrowed it in about 1975, and it was stolen from in front of his house. I still remeber the plate # 5F4055, so if you see it...

- Motobecane 49 cc moped bought new in January 1975 for $396. all in. I was 15.

- Honda CB 200 1975 bought $800. from my brother.

- Honda CB 650 1979 bought new for $2964. all in.

- Honda CX 650E 1983 bought new for $3500. all in.

- Yamaha Virago 1100 SE 1997 bought new in Feb 98 for close to $9000 with equipment all in.

Last edited:
My first road bike was a 1984 Harley Ironhead Sporster 1000cc. I was 18 and bought it from my dad in 1986 who bought it new in 84. I still have it but don't ride it much anymore because I bought my new Twin Cam Deuce in 2005. Bike was trouble free the whole time I rode it. No issues, just replaced a clutch - cases never apart and it still does not leak at 20+ yrs old. She pulls away from the new 883's and 1200 Sportys all day long..and even a few evos and TC's!

Originally Posted By: CSM746
1967 Bultaco Matador 250 a bundle of off road riding with this machine as well. Bought it new when I was 16. Excellent memories followed by BSA 441 Victor and Husqvarna 450 Desert Classic...never stopped riding even a police career as a motor officer now riding BMW
One of my freinds had a Matador I used to ride it . I really liked it. That was 1969.

Amaze zing, mine was a 1972 TS-185 bought it brand new. $695. I think. From working on the neighbors dairy farm. Sold to my Step brother were he rode and did not check the oil res. and fried it

My first "bike" was a 1966 Honda Cub 50cc scooter. I won it. At a department store chain in Canada (Gamble's) they were giving away a Honda to a lucky customer who purchased a certain make of running shoes. I can't remeber the brand. I was the lucky guy at that particular store.
The scooter didn't last long. I sold it a year later and bought a friend's Yamaha 180 street twin. Sold that and went on to my first car, a 1970 Duster 340, then in 1973 back to bikes, a brand new Yamaha RT360 Enduro. Since 1975 I haven't owned a bike. In 2009 I bought a Honda SH150i scooter. Great to be back on 2 wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SemperGumby
1975 CB550F $500. My parents were so mad they took away the Chevette I was driving around. That was 1980.

Been riding ever since.
wink.gif

My Dad had one of those. Was your's metal flake orange by any chance? He bought his new and he used to let me ride it all the time. Nice bike for the time.

Originally Posted By: bigdreama
No, not the first dirt bike that you rode for 5 minutes when you were 12 years old. I mean the first bike that you owned and rode on the street.

Mine was a 1974 Suzuki TS-185 that I bought in 1978 for $450. I paid for it with the money I had saved from mowing lawns and I rode it for about 5000 miles until it was stolen from my high school parking lot.
frown.gif

I bought my first bike when I was 12 with $450 I had saved from mowing lawns. It was a red/white Honda CB100. I sold it 5 years later for $225. Since then I have owned a Honda 400, Honda 550 Four, 750 Four, CB 900 Four, another 750 Four, and finaly a GL1100 Goldwing. I have looked at and wanted a Harley for years. Last year after deciding to buy one, I went to order it and test drove one. I changed my mind.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
1973 (I believe)Honda 70 (the one with the small fat tires, can't remember the model) with an exceptionally rare 4 speed manual. Every other one I have ever seen was 3 speed auto clutch. My brother borrowed it in about 1975, and it was stolen from in front of his house. I still remeber the plate # 5F4055, so if you see it...

Had the Honda 70 as well when I was 16, great to ride back and forth to my job at the local grocery store. Mine had the 3 speed auto. Soon as I saved up some money, I sold it and bought a 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900...big difference. Tom

My first bike was a 1980 Suzuki Pe175 Enduro racer that I bought new. Strictly an off road machine. Still have it and it still runs well. It's seen a lot of abuse but with a bit of maintenance, it's been pretty much trouble free.

My first street bike was a brand new 1981 Yamaha FJ-750 Seca, in line four DOHC hot rod of the day. Had it for one year and thought that it would be wise to get something a little more docile, so I bought a new BMW R100. The BMW was a weird bike to say the least. I really didn't like it. It was a fine bike. Never had mechanical problems, it handled well, and was comfortable but it just didn't do anything for me. I kept if for a few years then sold it. Now I run a 2006 Kawasaki KLR650, '03 Valkyrie and two vintage Yamaha RDs.

1974 kz400. Bought in 1978 for $600.00. Totals: 4-Honda, 3-Kawasaki, 1-Yamaha, 1-Victory, 1/2 (half)- Harley. Own 2 Now, 2000 Honda 1100 Shadow Areo, 2009 Victory Kingpin. Wife rides the Shadow.

My first bike was a 1970 Triumph Bonneville that I bought in 1970 with 1600 miles showing on the odometer for the sum of $1150. I purchased it from a very cool Pennsylvania State Trooper who rode motorcycles in the State Trooper Rodeo. I remember him telling me that he was out on the bike the previous night and reckoned that he had a good time because he spent all his money. He offered me a test ride which I refused because I didn't have a clue as to how to ride and I was not about to risk wrecking this beautiful machine. So this Rodeo rider gave me a ride across the fields of his family's farm at 70 miles per hour. That was all it took. I gathered just about every cent that I had and picked it up the next day. I have never regretted it and have ridden ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back